Help with dvd burning ?

Hi Folks, I bought a new pc a few months ago and im having a first go at burning a dvd. It is a avi video file i am trying to burn to dvd so i can watch it on tv.

I am aware i would need some type of software, so i have Roxio My dvd which came with the pc, however when trying to add files im getting this error message::: The software thats being used to decode the media is not available on this system. Installing the correct decoders for the files you are working with may help correct the problem...

I looked in the user guide for supported files and apparently AVI is supported so where am i going wrong, any help would be appreciated, i am a bit of a pc numpty :o

Comments

• stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.free-codecs.com/

Klite codec pack will give you all the codecs you need and Media Player Classic. You could just download a single codec like Xvid or install DivX.

You might have an OEM copy of Roxio, if it's like NERO you get a free trial then you have to buy an Mpeg plugin if you want to burn video.

Free Trials of NERO & Ulead Movie Factory will burn your avi video if all else fails, Ulead is very easy to use.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    http://www.free-codecs.com/

Klite codec pack will give you all the codecs you need and Media Player Classic. You could just download a single codec like Xvid or install DivX.

You might have an OEM copy of Roxio, if it's like NERO you get a free trial then you have to buy an Mpeg plugin if you want to burn video.

Free Trials of NERO & Ulead Movie Factory will burn your avi video if all else fails, Ulead is very easy to use.

http://www.ulead.com/dmf/runme.htm

http://www.nero.com/nero7/eng/nero7-demo.php

Thanks for that but arghhhh lol

Ok i downloaded the Klite codec pack, installed it, tried Roxio again and am now getting the message ::: Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installled.

Why are these things so difficult :cry:
    Forum Member
    I might try Ulead later then as i am getting a bit frustrated now and may just chuck my computer out the window.

I need something like dvd burning for dummies :o
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the Roxio software is a full version and you have the CD, try reinstalling it. I'm assuming the freebies never are.
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    If the Roxio software is a full version and you have the CD, try reinstalling it. I'm assuming the freebies never are.

no its just a trial thingy, no cd.
  • TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    Try this
    http://www.winavi.com/avi-to-dvd.htm
    You'll probably have to pay for the full version for it to work (if it does), or else google around for "avi to dvd": there are plenty of programs which should convert your files for you so that you can then burn to DVD.
  • Troy TempestTroy Tempest Posts: 410
    Forum Member
    Oki Doki

You need to convert the AVI video to DVD video so your DVD player can read it.

Lots of programmes to do this out there (Google is your friend) I use AVI2DVD from here http://avi2dvd.en.softonic.com/

Instructions on how to use from here http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/avi_to_dvd_avi2dvd.cfm

The resulting file will be in an ISO format, ie. "myvideo.iso"

Burn this iso file using Roxio, Nero or Pinnacle (or whatever you find for free from google!) to DVD.

Open beer and watch DVD
  • fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An even simpler approach is to use DVDFlick - it includes IMGBurn so, as long as you set it up correctly, once the conversion is finished, it burns the ISO to disk automatically.

I have used both DVDFlick and AVI2DVD. AVI2DVD gives a better output, DVDFlick is just simpler.
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    An even simpler approach is to use DVDFlick - it includes IMGBurn so, as long as you set it up correctly, once the conversion is finished, it burns the ISO to disk automatically.

I have used both DVDFlick and AVI2DVD. AVI2DVD gives a better output, DVDFlick is just simpler.

Thanks everyone ;)

I went with DVD flick and you said it was simple. So i downloaed it and opened the guide and worked through it.

When i got to the end bit to burn the disc i am getting this message....

Your project dvd disc is full. You must remove titles or audio tracks, or set a different target bitrate in order to be able to fit the contents of your project onto the target disc specified. Are you sure you want to continue.

What should i do here, im stuck :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks to me like the target disk is either full or the computer thinks its full.

When you configure DVDFlick you should specify where you want it to be burnt - that way it will not create files too large for the desintation media.

Adjusting the bit rate will shrink the file size.

Sounds to me like you may be trying to burn it to a disk that already has stuff on it. If that is the case - download the standalone version of IMGBurn from HERE and delete the disk contents using one of the options in the pull down menus.

DVDFlick should have kept a copy of the ISO file - look in the setting to see where it stores the temp files it creates. You can then use your newly acquired copy of IMGBurn to burn the image (ISO) to the now blank DVD...
    Forum Member
    Just to say, i tried removing one of the items to be burned to disc, thinking i am maybe trying to burn too much on the disc but that aint working either. :cry:
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    It looks to me like the target disk is either full or the computer thinks its full.

When you configure DVDFlick you should specify where you want it to be burnt - that way it will not create files too large for the desintation media.

Adjusting the bit rate will shrink the file size.

Sounds to me like you may be trying to burn it to a disk that already has stuff on it. If that is the case - download the standalone version of IMGBurn from HERE and delete the disk contents using one of the options in the pull down menus. DVDFlick should have kept a copy of the ISO file - look in the setting to see where it stores the temp files it creates.

No the disc is blank, never been used.
    Forum Member
    Well i got it too work after removing 2 of the files i wanted to burn however it did not work on the dvd player lol which does take copies..... oh well back to the drawing board :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In DVDFlick in the project settings (fourth icon along) you can specify the target media. Is it set to DVD?

I have no idea why it may think the target media is too small - unless you have a duff disk or are trying to burn to CD...

In the fourth tab along in project settings, you can get the programme to "create ISO" - this is the disk image that is later burnt to DVD. If your burn fails for some reason - this ISO can be burnt at a later date so you don't have to go through the encoding porcess again.

Once you have burnt a successful disk, delete the ISO - unless you have a huge harddrive and can store them - they tend to be very big
    Forum Member
    Hi again,

I realised what i was doing wrong, i was burning it to cd disc instead of dvd disc lol :o

Its working now, thanks for all you help xx :D
  • The CadThe Cad Posts: 574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LuckyBxx wrote: »
    Thanks for that but arghhhh lol

Ok i downloaded the Klite codec pack, installed it, tried Roxio again and am now getting the message ::: Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installled.

"Could not make a thumbnail. Make sure you have the appropriate decoder installed. -47010”

Try this, hope it helps.

Go to:
    Start
    All programs
    Divx
    DivX codec
    Decoder Configuration Utility

Uncheck the box that says “use advanced hardware overlay”
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LuckyBxx wrote: »
    Hi again,

I realised what i was doing wrong, i was burning it to cd disc instead of dvd disc lol :o

Its working now, thanks for all you help xx :D

I wouldn't worry about it, as we've all likely made the daftest of mistakes when we first start out with something. You'll get better as you go on.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldnt worry either when I 1st used DVDflick my IMGBURN wouldnt automatically start and I would have to force it (didnt realise at 1st) so went to work one day assuming that after 7 hours it would burn and nah, forced it into it when got home to realise I hadnt actually clicked the burn to DVD/CD in the project setting, so in effect wasted about 10 hours to get a blank DVD............I can laugh these days but was mighty peeved back then :) (We all have to learn)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tuppy26 wrote: »
    I wouldnt worry either when I 1st used DVDflick my IMGBURN wouldnt automatically start and I would have to force it (didnt realise at 1st) so went to work one day assuming that after 7 hours it would burn and nah, forced it into it when got home to realise I hadnt actually clicked the burn to DVD/CD in the project setting, so in effect wasted about 10 hours to get a blank DVD............I can laugh these days but was mighty peeved back then :) (We all have to learn)

remember it well:eek::D
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD Flick has an "Autofit" option which will lower the quality a bit to fit everything on to the disc. Saves faffing with bitrates etc.
    DeVeDe is very good for creating disc image .isos which can then be burnt using another program.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was having this problem and a forum member suggested DVD Flick which is simple to use and free! Perfectly adequate for my purposes.

Here is the link to the thread with my query. DVD Flick
  • merlin777merlin777 Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I'm using DVD flick for the first time but I have 2 problems.

I can't find the check box for activating the menu as shown in the guide (I only have 3 check boxes).

When I click on create dvd, it says my disc is full but I'm burning 3 fles to disc, total 2.83 gig so I can't see why it might be full. I have checked auto fit and chosen dvd 4.3 for the media.

I haven't actually put a disc in the drive yet but I expected to get this far without doing so. I tried selecting the create iso option and deselecting the burn disc option but I get the same error.

Any ideas?
    Forum Member
    I realise this may be a dumb question, but do you need to install imgburn seperately or does it install with dvdflick? The download page says all needed components are installed.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    merlin777 wrote: »
    I realise this may be a dumb question, but do you need to install imgburn seperately or does it install with dvdflick? The download page says all needed components are installed.
    Press Start, type imgburn and find out if it's installed!

Also, why are you bumping a thread from 2009?
    Forum Member
    i checked - it is installed.

apologies if I've broken protocol but I'm a bit green at this. What does bumping mean and where would be the best place to put my question, please?