Options

Football Commentators Thread (Part 19)

Comments

• Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair the whole incident was handled very poorly by Sky, Hawthorne and Quinn for some reason were blind to it, day to forget for them as well.

In defence of Quinn, he was - as he usually does - talking the viewer through the replays.

It should've been Hawthorne who spotted the disallowed goal.

Somebody mentioned the infamous incident on Setanta from a couple of seasons ago December 6th 2014 to be precise.

I've mentioned it extensively here before but they were unaware for 2-3 minutes. The reason why they missed it is because they were in a studio in Dublin. They later tried to make out on commentary that they were at the stadium and missed an offside flag (that didn't happen, the ref disallowed it). This didn't explain why they missed the restart, the Stoke fans loudly booing, and the stadium scoreboard, which is quite big!

Backtracking over the disallowed goal meant they also made a hash of calling the Arsenal penalty, and were unsure for quite a while it was given because of the extensive replays. It would've been obvious to anybody in the ground it was given.
  • Options
    TLG86TLG86 Posts: 11,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the subject of commentators refusing to acknowledge a mistake, did anyone else notice how Neville initially blamed Daley Blind for the first Chelsea goal yesterday? I appreciate that none of United's players covered themselves in glory, but I thought it was blindingly obvious that Chris Smalling made a massive error for the first goal, yet Neville basically ignored it for the first few replays. I know he's not an England coach any more, but it does feel like he doesn't want to call out English players when they make mistakes.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    Steve Wilson sounded very good yesterday, obviously a good (or big) game helped but performances like that do make me wonder why he isn't number one on the Beeb. Not sure what opportunities are likely to come up but if I was a TV station director and needed a new commentator, it's Steve who I would hire.

To be honest, Steve Wilson and Guy Mowbray are more or less joint number ones at the Beeb anyway. Other than the Cup Final (and Wilson usually gets the semi-final which is almost as big a game) and England matches every two years, Wilson gets plenty of matches of equal quality to Mowbray, as yesterday illustrated. I can't imagine anyone but Tyler, Fletcher and Tyldesley getting a match like that on their respective channels.
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Hebei China Fortune v Hangzhou Greentown- Dan O'Hagan
  • Options
    The ScoutThe Scout Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Would be grateful if anyone could help solve these two lineups that have been lingering as unconfirmed in the hub the past few days:

Kilmarnock v Rangers - 26/08/2016 - BT Sport
    ========================================
    Presented by: Darrell Currie
    Commentators: Derek Rae and Chris Sutton
    Reporter: Eilidh Barbour
    Guests: ??????????????????????????????????

Were there any guests for this one? I'm guessing that there would have been at least one.

And, another attempt to solve this one...
    The Scout wrote: »
    Borussia Dortmund v Manchester City - 28/07/2016 - Sky
    This has David Jones down as being the presenter, with Tyler and Provan commentating on the match. If there was a presenter, would there not have been a guest as well? If so, who? Also, was there a reporter? This game was being played in China...
    If somebody hadn't logged Jones as being the presenter, I would have assumed that Tyler and Provan were the only people to feature in the broadcast. I would question whether he did actually present the programme.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Steve Wilson, the guy who worked for CBBC, and presented Live and Kicking, and occasionally does Tech slots on This Morning.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, Steve Wilson and Guy Mowbray are more or less joint number ones at the Beeb anyway. Other than the Cup Final (and Wilson usually gets the semi-final which is almost as big a game) and England matches every two years, Wilson gets plenty of matches of equal quality to Mowbray, as yesterday illustrated. I can't imagine anyone but Tyler, Fletcher and Tyldesley getting a match like that on their respective channels.

Wilson and Mowbray aren't even close to being joint number ones. Big live matches screened to (potentially) an audience of 10-15 million are rightly considered more prestigious than 10 minutes of edited highlights on Match of The Day. And over several years, these matches stack up. Consider the past six years, during which Mowbray has commentated on three live League Cup Finals, two live FA Cup finals, two live World Cup finals and two live European Championship Finals, in addition to several big England matches, including England v Wales last summer. If Mowbray and Wilson were "more or less joint number ones" then Wilson would have had at least one of those marquee games live - but he hasn't.

Whereas back in the days of Motson and Davies, at least Davies would get the European Cup Final, normally featuring an English club, or the League Cup Final, whereas Motson would sweep up the FA Cup Final each year.

It's sad, in that Wilson's experience, broadcasting skills and overall reading of the game are not inferior to Mowbray's. But the BBC clearly rate Mowbray more highly.
  • Options
    chrisfinchchrisfinch Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    Is Steve Wilson, the guy who worked for CBBC, and presented Live and Kicking, and occasionally does Tech slots on This Morning.

No, different people.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    No, different people.

Thanks, I thought it wouldnt be him, but with Presenters and pundits working freelance and hoping around doing different stuff wasn't sure
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    Thanks, I thought it wouldnt be him, but with Presenters and pundits working freelance and hoping around doing different stuff wasn't sure

Commentator Steve Wilson doesnt really do much freelance, aside from his BBC TV commentaries he only makes very occasional 5 Live commentaries and that is about it.
  • Options
    neilwatsonneilwatson Posts: 31,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisfinch wrote: »
    No, different people.

I must admit I was one of the people who thought it was the same person. When commentator Steve first appeared on MOTD I remember thinking why is a CBBC presenter doing football highlights
  • Options
    clever3000clever3000 Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    While we are on questions about possible namesakes. Is football commentator Simon Mann also the same Simon Mann that appears on TMS?
  • Options
    luketwillluketwill Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clever3000 wrote: »
    While we are on questions about possible namesakes. Is football commentator Simon Mann also the same Simon Mann that appears on TMS?

It is indeed clever3000!
  • Options
    BFGArmyBFGArmy Posts: 28,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also on the topic of namesakes, on the WBA game this weekend you had Darren Fletcher commentating on his namesake Darren Fletcher.
  • Options
    flipxsideflipxside Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Manchester United U23 v Arsenal U23 - MUTV - David Stowell and Quinton Fortune (Mark Sullivan reporting)
    FC Kaiserslautern v VFL Bochum - BT Sport 1 - Dan Mason
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Late to the party but not sure on the coverage of the Old Firm game at all. For all the good SPFL coverage is on BT. Hundreds of people in random positions talking away. Seemed a bit of a mess.
    Going to be a bit of a big lineup for Rangers V Celtic today, 4 pundits, 3 commentators, Howard Webb watching the ref and 2 reporters. Maybe a bit too much people that BT have sent today although understandable considering this is their first old firm games in ages!

Like you to tell me when their last old firm game was... :confused:
  • Options
    flipxsideflipxside Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    Bury v Bolton Wanderers - Sky Sports 1 - George Gavin presenting from Gigg Lane with Kevin Davies and Ryan Lowe. Jonathan Oakes reporting.
    commentators: Gary Weaver and Danny Higginbotham
    world feed: John Roder
  • Options
    Tony YeboahTony Yeboah Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    Rangers v St Johnstone- Tom Miller and Andy Little for RangersTV
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone identify who the commentators are in this clip? (for Premier Sports)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLWgWpYXOwo

Thanks!
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rory Hamilton and Michael Stewart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. Just trying to determine the commentary teams for the handful of matches that Premier Sports showed earlier in the season. That was one of the ones that seemingly wasn't mentioned within this thread at the time.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flipxside wrote: »
    Bury v Bolton Wanderers - Sky Sports 1 - George Gavin presenting from Gigg Lane with Kevin Davies and Ryan Lowe. Jonathan Oakes reporting.
    commentators: Gary Weaver and Danny Higginbotham
    world feed: John Roder

I'll be listening to Roder later so see how he does. Kevin Davies is relatively low key on BT/Sky but quietly building up broadcasting experience, obviously I'm biased but would be good if he got a high profile role.

Be interesting to see the EFL Cup lineups for Sky, two big games but in a lower profile competition, wouldn't be surprised of GNev, Carra & Tyler were involved given the teams involved.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I'll be listening to Roder later so see how he does. Kevin Davies is relatively low key on BT/Sky but quietly building up broadcasting experience, obviously I'm biased but would be good if he got a high profile role.

Be interesting to see the EFL Cup lineups for Sky, two big games but in a lower profile competition, wouldn't be surprised of GNev, Carra & Tyler were involved given the teams involved.

To be fair, dunno if you class as low key but he does a lot of commentaries on European games on BT and usually turns up on Conference games etc.
  • Options
    bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, dunno if you class as low key but he does a lot of commentaries on European games on BT and usually turns up on Conference games etc.

European games not involving U.K. sides and Conference are low key IMO
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikey1980 wrote: »
    Wilson and Mowbray aren't even close to being joint number ones. Big live matches screened to (potentially) an audience of 10-15 million are rightly considered more prestigious than 10 minutes of edited highlights on Match of The Day. And over several years, these matches stack up. Consider the past six years, during which Mowbray has commentated on three live League Cup Finals, two live FA Cup finals, two live World Cup finals and two live European Championship Finals, in addition to several big England matches, including England v Wales last summer. If Mowbray and Wilson were "more or less joint number ones" then Wilson would have had at least one of those marquee games live - but he hasn't.

I suppose, but as I say, over the course of the season - aside from the tournaments - Wilson and Mowbray do both get their fair share of big games. Over the course of the average weekend, you're just as likely to hear Wilson on a big game as you are Mowbray.

I know Mowbray gets the Cup Final and England games, which are obviously the biggest games on the channel - but they're so rare in the schedules. Over the domestic season I would consider Wilson and Mowbray as near to joint number ones as on any channel - there's certainly less between them that Tyler and Hawthorne on Sky, Fletcher and Darke on BT and Tyldesley and Matterface on ITV. And I can't see anywhere else where Wilson will get the range and quality of matches he's getting on the BBC.
This discussion has been closed.