Cat bought in a baby bird

Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hey all

We've just been woken up by our cat bringing us a baby injured bird. We've put it in an egg box lid and tried to snuggle it in with kitchen paper, but other than this we've no clue what else to do. Can anyone please advise on what we should do next?

The poor little thing is bleeding a little bit but the bird is so tiny that we can't properly see where from.

Thanks.

Comments

• jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ring the RSPCA. I was in a similar position when recovering a baby fox, and they gave me good advice that saw cub and mother reunited.
  • christina83christina83 Posts: 11,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with calling the RSPCA, make sure it's in a quiet area too as birds die from shock very easily.
    I'm not sure that the mother bird would take it back after smelling different. Hopefully the rspca can look after it, and then get it back to the wild eventually.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i fear the RSPCA wont come out just for a baby bird, they are a bit like that nowadays. so what happened?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camino wrote: »
    i fear the RSPCA wont come out just for a baby bird, they are a bit like that nowadays. so what happened?

And that is the nasty side of cats. It won't be the last time the cat will do this.
    There is no way the RSPCA will come out for a dying baby bird. We once found a starving stray cat who had been wandering around the neighbourhood for weeks. The RSPCA said that if it wasn't homed within a week it would be put down. I don't give donations to the RSPCA anymore because of their hostile reaction towards me for reporting that cat to them. I don't bother with the Cat's Protection League anymore either. They wanted £100 to take the cat off my hands. We ended up nursing her and keeping her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cat is just being a cat.

Today it's a cute baby bird, tomorrow it could be a rat.
  • Cunny FuntCunny Funt Posts: 1,905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey all

Well we didn't ring the RSPCA as I agree with most on here that often they don't give a rats arse. Anyways, we read up for advice on the intenet and went with a suggestion of putting the bird in a box somewhere high up & safe, so that it's mum can see it and look after it. I've checked on the little fella this morning but unfortunately he's died. :(.

I know it's what cats do but I'm proper gutted she's done it lol. She does wear a bell though so hopefully it won't be happening too often.

Thanks for everyone's advice... Just wish it had a happier ending.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry to hear that.:cry: Poor little bird.

My neighbour got home one evening and thought there had been a massacre. Her hall was full of blood and feathers. Her cat had killed a huge sea gull and dragged it in through the cat flap.

She found the body in her kitchen and the head upstairs.:eek:

I agree about the RSPCA they wouldn't have come out. They aren't interested if people report injured deers by the roadside either.

They are one of the wealthiest charities and they spend huge amounts of it on taking people to court instead of educating and helping them. Daft thing is, in many cases they are unsuccessful so it's a total waste of money which has often been donated by cat-loving old ladies.

An elderly disabled lady I know used to feed all the strays. In her will she'd left everything to the RSPCA. One of the stray cats had a bad eye infection and someone reported that it was this lady's cat and being neglected.:rolleyes:

They came out, saw the cat in her garden and scared her to death with their threats. She told them it was a stray cat and as she was disabled and the cat was wild she could not do anything about its eye. They were so nasty and unhelpful to her and the cat that she changed her will and they won't now get a penny.
  • aikiaiki Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    If it happens again, your best bet is to contact a local wildlife rehab place and get them to take the bird. Cat bites usually lead to bacterial infection so even apparently small wounds are often fatal without prompt antibiotic treatment. Here's a list of rehabbers by region: http://www.uksafari.com/wildlifehospitals.htm
  • What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cunny Funt wrote: »
    Hey all

We've just been woken up by our cat bringing us a baby injured bird. We've put it in an egg box lid and tried to snuggle it in with kitchen paper, but other than this we've no clue what else to do. Can anyone please advise on what we should do next?

The poor little thing is bleeding a little bit but the bird is so tiny that we can't properly see where from.

Thanks.

At the very least I hope you have given the cat a reward? As far as the cat is concerned it treated you to a tasty titbit and you are being unappreciative in rewarding the meal rather than it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Oh sorry to hear that.:cry: Poor little bird.

My neighbour got home one evening and thought there had been a massacre. Her hall was full of blood and feathers. Her cat had killed a huge sea gull and dragged it in through the cat flap.

She found the body in her kitchen and the head upstairs.:eek:

I agree about the RSPCA they wouldn't have come out. They aren't interested if people report injured deers by the roadside either.

They are one of the wealthiest charities and they spend huge amounts of it on taking people to court instead of educating and helping them. Daft thing is, in many cases they are unsuccessful so it's a total waste of money which has often been donated by cat-loving old ladies.

An elderly disabled lady I know used to feed all the strays. In her will she'd left everything to the RSPCA. One of the stray cats had a bad eye infection and someone reported that it was this lady's cat and being neglected.:rolleyes:

They came out, saw the cat in her garden and scared her to death with their threats. She told them it was a stray cat and as she was disabled and the cat was wild she could not do anything about its eye. They were so nasty and unhelpful to her and the cat that she changed her will and they won't now get a penny.

Exactly the reason i wont have a cap flap !! i prefer dead things on the doorstep :D:eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    And that is the nasty side of cats. It won't be the last time the cat will do this.
    There is no way the RSPCA will come out for a dying baby bird. We once found a starving stray cat who had been wandering around the neighbourhood for weeks. The RSPCA said that if it wasn't homed within a week it would be put down. I don't give donations to the RSPCA anymore because of their hostile reaction towards me for reporting that cat to them. I don't bother with the Cat's Protection League anymore either. They wanted £100 to take the cat off my hands. We ended up nursing her and keeping her.

Why did they want 100 quid off you? Bloody cat's protection - wouldn't even let my friend have a cat, when he lives on a huge arable farm! :eek::mad:
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sorry to hear the baby bird died, best way i suppose, doesnt make it any easier though
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    My local vets takes in injured wild life. By law,they can't turn them away.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »
    Why did they want 100 quid off you? Bloody cat's protection - wouldn't even let my friend have a cat, when he lives on a huge arable farm! :eek::mad:

Whyever not?:eek:
    Our Blue Cross centre is closing down, so when I get my next kittens the only local rescue options will be Cats Protection and RSPCA, I wouldn't go near the RSPCA so will be stuck with CP who I thought were a bit better.:(

OP you did your best for the baby bird.:(
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    HALibutt wrote: »

Cat's Protection can be very difficult sometimes. You have to fit so many requirements and if you live near a main road you may as well forget it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Whyever not?:eek:
    Our Blue Cross centre is closing down, so when I get my next kittens the only local rescue options will be Cats Protection and RSPCA, I wouldn't go near the RSPCA so will be stuck with CP who I thought were a bit better.:(

OP you did your best for the baby bird.:(

Have no idea really. They didn't give a reason - he just didn't pass when they visited or something. Over 100 acres of land, all fenced in, huge old farmhouse. The mind boggles.

He wanted one for his kids and to control rats, etc. Ended up getting one from a pet shop! Then adopting a stray tom as well I think.

Cats Protection seem too up themselves if you ask me - and too stuck in 'officialdom'. I prefer local wildlife/animal sanctuaries run by individuals.