Is Sam Strike (Johnny Carter) gay in real life? (Eastenders)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    abrightyz wrote: »
    the daran little tweet is neither here nor there... how qualified is he as the boy's spokesperson?

Maybe he said it because Sam was annoyed by the assumption, but didn't want to comment about it, and look bad to some people.
  • Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a strange tweet but it could be innocently intended
  • MrWoodySirMrWoodySir Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Sam Strike retweeted that DTC tweet abbout gay kids, probably just advertising the show mind.
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    The tweet in question:

Daran Little ‏@DaranLittle 1h
    Big kudos to the straight actors who've taken on gay roles I've written. @BrunoLangley @officialolivier @thejamessutton @SamStrike & others

Don't know why it annoyed me but it did a little bit. Why do straight actors playing gay characters need a special 'shout-out'? :confused: Also, Sam Strike is what... about 18? How on earth does this writer know if he's definitely straight? Is that a conversation they would have had? Just a weird tweet all round.

Very strange tweet. Why should there be a big shout out for straight actors who have played gay roles? Surely it doesn't matter if they are gay or straight, but whether they are actually good at acting. Kieron Richardson is a good actor, and was brilliant with Brendan in Hollyoaks... does he deserve less praise because he's a gay actor playing a gay character?
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strange tweet. Why should there be a big shout out for straight actors who have played gay roles? Surely it doesn't matter if they are gay or straight, but whether they are actually good at acting. Kieron Richardson is a good actor, and was brilliant with Brendan in Hollyoaks... does he deserve less praise because he's a gay actor playing a gay character?

Mr Little was probably trying to imply that the straight actors playing gay are doing a noble thing by 'giving themselves' as potential icons for the gay community, and so will have all the expectation that comes with that resting on their shoulders, especially when they leave a soap and try for other roles.
  • firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry people are actors I'm sick to death of praising straight people for playing gay, serial killers are not played by real serial killers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry guys, in 50 years (or less hopefully) I reckon stuff will be more accepted.

In a way we are onto a good thing in today's standards but overall I mean.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Why do some people get so antsy when this question is asked? So what if it should not matter in 'today's society'. It is not meant to be a 'deep and meaningful' question. Just a curiosity.

If someone asked if a redhead on TV was a natural redhead in real life, it would not cause the kind of negative response the gay question does.

People do not ask if actors are serial killers in real like because that would be unlikely and that analogy is absurd.

If we were all so progressive that being gay is not an issue on any level, then people would not cause a fuss about this question. It should be like asking a simple question like where a person is from, how old, etc.

Being gay is not a big deal, but neither is asking if someone is gay.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do some people get so antsy when this question is asked? So what if it should not matter in 'today's society'. It is not meant to be a 'deep and meaningful' question. Just a curiosity.

If someone asked if a redhead on TV was a natural redhead in real life, it would not cause the kind of negative response the gay question does.

People do not ask if actors are serial killers in real like because that would be unlikely and that analogy is absurd.

If we were all so progressive that being gay is not an issue on any level, then people would not cause a fuss about this question. It should be like asking a simple question like where a person is from, how old, etc.

Being gay is not a big deal, but neither is asking if someone is gay.
    I quite agree. Celebrities unfortunately cannot escape the press and paps, that goes for homo hetero or bisexual.

It doesn't matter, but it doesn't matter if people wonder either.
  • V1Chris21V1Chris21 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate when people say 'who cares?' People are just interested - it's like asking if someone is single or married or if they have children.
  • The RhydlerThe Rhydler Posts: 4,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty irrelavent. The lads private life is exactly that, private
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's pretty irrelavent. The lads private life is exactly that, private
    Not in this society mate.

Just like it's our business what David Beckham's latest child is called and our business that Miley Cyrus has gone mentally insane.

Anyway, Daran Little's tweet has answered our question; Sam Strike is straight, or at least currently identifies as straight.

MYSTERY SOLVED, move on people. It's also worth noting some people are bisexual and that bisexuality tends to be ignored in society by both hetero and homo communities, as well as the fact that being good looking male in Showbiz it's encouraged not to come out for female fans sake etc etc but that's changing with people like Tom Daley being more honest etc.

It could be that he is bisexual but that label is not encouraged for real bisexuals as people usually then decide which one they are "gay and in denial/using a comfier label" or "straight and love sex/attention seeking".

But that is not public knowledge, if it's true, and for that reason there's no reason for us to speculate.

He is straight to the best of our knowledge though, as per Daran's tweet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a lot of people were wishing he was gay but even if he was, Johnny's story would probably be the complete opposite of the actor's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    James J wrote: »
    Not in this society mate.

Just like it's our business what David Beckham's latest child is called and our business that Miley Cyrus has gone mentally insane.

Anyway, Daran Little's tweet has answered our question; Sam Strike is straight, or at least currently identifies as straight.

MYSTERY SOLVED, move on people. It's also worth noting some people are bisexual and that bisexuality tends to be ignored in society by both hetero and homo communities, as well as the fact that being good looking male in Showbiz it's encouraged not to come out for female fans sake etc etc but that's changing with people like Tom Daley being more honest etc.

It could be that he is bisexual but that label is not encouraged for real bisexuals as people usually then decide which one they are "gay and in denial/using a comfier label" or "straight and love sex/attention seeking".

But that is not public knowledge, if it's true, and for that reason there's no reason for us to speculate.

He is straight to the best of our knowledge though, as per Daran's tweet.

But that's a different situation. It is not relevant to anyone what sexuality Sam is and it shouldn't be. Instead of people questioning "Is he gay" "Is he/lesbian", they should find a hobby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also I will add, David Beckham is a huge name, in showbiz and sport, kind of different to the majority of soap actors.
  • WhatadayWhataday Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    Flukie wrote: »
    Why do people only wonder if real life reflects a soap role when the character is gay?!

Do they wonder if real life reflects the character they play when they play a

murderer
    rapist
    paedophile
    wife beater
    drug addict
    alcoholic

etc etc etc

No! Only if they are playing a gay character.

It does disturb me slightly that you've chosen that list of examples alongside being a gay character. I would hope you're not suggesting it equally as negative a trait.

Either way, I don't see why people get outraged at someone asking for a soap actor's sexuality. Attractive young soap stars have been used to appeal to teenage fans for decades. Their sexuality is a part of that, so in case it is public knowledge, there is no harm in asking.

If the actor chooses to keep it a secret, that is another matter, but asking the question in the first place is not unreasonable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The impression I get so far (though I could be totally wrong) is Sam really is an actor first and foremost (not that that should ever be a question, but like some of soaps' past signings, it's more beauty than brains...) and all the limelight other than being Johnny doesn't appeal to him so much.

I think someone else was right when they said he has the makings of a Stacey Slater type status in terms of character and memorability. Although if I remember rightly, Stacey wasn't exactly a hit with the viewers from her first few episodes, whereas Johnny has been (which may or may not be a good thing long term)
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

Maybe as he's gay himself he thinks it's not always easy for straight people to get the 'feel' of a gay character right without being overly camp or something.

Or maybe it's because if a straight actor plays gay, they have to put up with the endless 'are you gay in real life' questions - or have message board threads made about them!
  • MissWalfordMissWalford Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    Yeah the only person who knos is Sam himself.

I feel bad really for starting this thread because it does look kinda shallow, but it was a genuine question because it's the first time that there's been a young gay storyline etc

Were you asleep through Bens storyline? :confused:
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    Whataday wrote: »
    It does disturb me slightly that you've chosen that list of examples alongside being a gay character. I would hope you're not suggesting it equally as negative a trait.

Either way, I don't see why people get outraged at someone asking for a soap actor's sexuality. Attractive young soap stars have been used to appeal to teenage fans for decades. Their sexuality is a part of that, so in case it is public knowledge, there is no harm in asking.

If the actor chooses to keep it a secret, that is another matter, but asking the question in the first place is not unreasonable.

I explained why I put that list up. Because no one EVER EVER EVER asks an actor if they do what their character does in real life if they aren't gay characters.

They might say is there much of who you play in you, but if they're playing a wife beater / paedophile / murderer / rapist etc they don't automatically assume they must be one in real life, but they obviously do if they're playing someone gay!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i believe there is a general level of nosiness (particularly with regards to people we admire or fancy) 'we' like to know someones sexuality, their favourite places to eat, charities they support. It is not sordid or accusatory or negative.

We do nut ask 'is A really a serial killer' any more than we ask 'is A qualified brain surgeon' as both are highly unlikely.

Or at least that is why i ask the questions i ask and not the ones i dont.
  • Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you know, I would LOVE for Sam too read posts like this (or any other actor or actress that you decide to question there sexuality) and sue the pants off DS ... as this thread is cheap, and nasty, and offensive and tacky!!! NO ONE has the right too question another persons PRIVATE LIFE!! disgusting and shame on DS for letting this thread continue!!
  • dancing.queendancing.queen Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rick_Poppa wrote: »
    you know, I would LOVE for Sam too read posts like this (or any other actor or actress that you decide to question there sexuality) and sue the pants off DS ... as this thread is cheap, and nasty, and offensive and tacky!!! NO ONE has the right too question another persons PRIVATE LIFE!! disgusting and shame on DS for letting this thread continue!!

Are you deliberately trying to get banned by continually slagging of DS and it's mods? :confused:
  • Rick_PoppaRick_Poppa Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you deliberately trying to get banned by continually slagging of DS and it's mods? :confused:

No, just saying that threads questioning the sexuality of someone could be seen as slander, as could some of the posts in this thread...would you be able too afford court fee's IF an actor took DS or you personally to court over it?? people have been sent too prison for offensive Tweets remember, it could happen with posts.
  • BeaconboofBeaconboof Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I think Sam Strike would be quite flattered by this thread. Clearly many viewers find him attractive, and not just in the superficial way either, but also by the fact that he is playing a very emotionally engaging character.