The Red Rock Thread (Irish Pace)

CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As it's less than a week until this new Irish soap begins, I'm starting a single discussion thread in the same vein as the Fair City and Ros na Run threads to discuss each episode and any news about the show.

For anyone who is unfamiliar with the show, it's a twice weekly soap set in a Dublin seaside town with the main focus being the local police station and two feuding families. It'll air on TV3 every Wednesday and Thursday night at 8.30pm. Also, here's a link to the development thread that I had about the show.
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=76185201#post76185201

Here's a link to the trailer and some of the more recent news and pictures from the show's opening episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UGSVG_-d7o

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/bludgeoned-body-found-on-dublin-beach-as-tv3s-red-rock-gets-set-for-grim-first-episode-30869781.html

http://www.irishmirror.ie/whats-on/arts-culture-news/take-glimpse-inside-tv3s-new-4893200

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/blue-murder-as-new-soap-red-rock-starts-with-a-bang-30868678.html

I'm really looking forward to this now. It's the first time a new soap has been launched in Ireland since Ros na Run began in 1996. TV3 has a bit of a reputation for generally showing imports and producing low budget programming but this looks like it'll be really good.

Comments

• boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The trailer is fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the brilliant Cathy Belton in the role of ruthless matriarch Patricia Hennessy. Let's just hope that this*doesn't end up being in the same vein as the Godawful 'Deception' that aired two years ago...
  • CPW4EVERCPW4EVER Posts: 2,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The trailer is fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing the brilliant Cathy Belton in the role of ruthless matriarch Patricia Hennessy. Let's just hope that this*doesn't end up being in the same vein as the Godawful 'Deception' that aired two years ago...

The producer of Red Rock also worked on Deception but hopefully he's learnt from the fiasco that that show turned out to be.
  • GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Oh my! It looks positively juicy! Can't wait! Love the trailer
  • KeibroKeibro Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks really good.
    Former BBC Drama boss and EastEnders EP John Yorke is involved in this also.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's heartening to hear that John Yorke is involved. The production values look quite impressive I must say!
  • mercury01mercury01 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    In hoping it doesn't go the way of every other TV3 show that isn't Xpose.
    Whatever happened to the Irish Take Me Out? Or Family Fortunes? Or Celebrity Salon? Or Weakest Link?
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I can get this online I,m going to give it a go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mercury01 wrote: »
    In hoping it doesn't go the way of every other TV3 show that isn't Xpose.
    Whatever happened to the Irish Take Me Out? Or Family Fortunes? Or Celebrity Salon? Or Weakest Link?

From what I can gather, we have this for two years at least regardless of what happens as they've invested a load of money into it. With those other shows previously, TV3 had all of it's ITV shows to fall back on if they didn't work which is why I think a lot of the homegrown stuff was very easily discarded. They don't have that luxury now. Also, when Jeff Ford came to TV3, he wanted to make the channel more upmarket and less "ITV-Lite" so they axed a load of the trashier shows like Tallafornia and Dublin Wives while I think Family Fortunes and Take Me Out got the chop because it was too expensive to buy in the formats so they're focusing on homegrown gameshows now like The Lie.
  • VIP101VIP101 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where is this set and filmed?
    What channel will it be on (in England)?
  • MutantXMutantX Posts: 1,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really want to watch it and give it a go! I wish it the best of luck!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    VIP101 wrote: »
    Where is this set and filmed?
    What channel will it be on (in England)?

It's set and filmed in Dublin and it's airing on Irish channel TV3. I don't think it's been picked up by any UK channels yet but it is being co-produced by John Yorke's Company Pictures who made Skins and Shameless so there's a very good chance it will get a UK broadcast at some point. It'll be available to watch on TV3's 3 Player but I don't know if that's accessible in the UK.
  • mercury01mercury01 Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    If you use a vpn blocker like Hola then you can watch it on the tv3 player. Unless some kind hearted soul wants to stick it up on YouTube. If i knew how I'd probably do it
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to see this and Fair City on UK TV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    I'd love to see this and Fair City on UK TV

As awful (in my opinion) as Fair City is, I'm actually surprised it isn't shown on one of the digital channels in the UK, even as a daytime or late night schedule filler. It's never actually aired outside of Ireland as fair as I know. UTV aired it but that was only up the north so it's not technically "abroad" as such. There was a dispute a few years ago over actors getting paid for repeats and as a result it wasn't available on RTE Player for a while so maybe that's what hinders them selling it abroad as they'd maybe have to renegotiate actor's pay rates if it was aired elsewhere.
  • sultanina9sultanina9 Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Is it just a watered down version of love hate? With less freedom and a poor display of irish gangsters? my hopes are extremely low for this soap all I expect is a very low qaulity version of love hate, What do you all think?
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 50,938
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only two and a half hours to go. Here's another new trailer giving us a taste of what's to come http://youtu.be/LpRS_oe13gg
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have problems with Red Rock being classified as a "soap". It really sounds more like a tv series as it is mainly set around a police station, with the emphasis being on two feuding families rather than a proper ensemble of many family units that form the backbone of your typical soap.
    Even the name "Red Rock" doesn't scream soap to me.

I'm very interested to see the first episode later on to confirm my suspicions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing it.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    curvybabes wrote: »
    If I can get this online I,m going to give it a go.

Same here :)

Does anyone know where it will be shown online?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Same here :)

Does anyone know where it will be shown online?

3 Player if you can access it. If I come across any other links I'll post them here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty good first episode I thought. They managed to fit in quite a few character intros and setup a number of plots without bombarding us which is often the case with first episodes. Not too keen on the harmonica theme music though. Reminds me of a a Western or one of those awful 90's American cop shows that you'd watch in the middle of the night on ITV.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CPW4EVER wrote: »
    3 Player if you can access it. If I come across any other links I'll post them here.

3 player? OK, thanks :)
  • lollipop1995lollipop1995 Posts: 2,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great first episode imo, think this will definitely be a hit. Good way of reigniting the Kiely/Hennesey feud too. I was watching Ireland AM this morning and it will be on every Wednesday and Thursday. My only criticism would be the music - it just does not suit the show and it all and it's just plain old fashioned tbh. Red Rock needs gritty/dramatic music