Options

Dumplings with Heinz soup, possible?

Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
Forum Member
✭✭
OK, probably a dumb a question. But can you do dumplings with a tin of Heinz soup? I know you can make dumplings, but as it takes so little time to heat a tin of soup surely the dumplings won't be cooked.
If anyone has any pointers I'd be grateful

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    I think you could do it. Just stick the soup on simmer, chuck the dumplings in and do it till they're cooked. I don't think the soup will get ruined.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depending on the soup I wouldn't do tbh. The soup is already cook and just needs warming through. If you cook it for 20 minutes or however long the dumplings take then you are going to end up with mush.
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that was the case. I'll have to go the packet of soup way as that takes longer, I think. I just fancy dumplings, plus my Grandma used to make it for me, and it was always nice and warming and filling.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While the soup is heating make the dumplings in the microwave as this poster did
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1562426
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aunt Bessie does frozen dumplings. You could check the cooking time and method to see if they would be more suitable with soup than cooking dumplings from fresh.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heinz do soup pots with dumplings in them, same as you fancy.

http://www.heinz.co.uk/ourfood/soups/bigsouppots/roast-chicken-and-herb-dumplings

Very nice they are too.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could always make your own soup and cook the dumplings in. It's a great swap, all the salt and flavourings in packet/tinned soup vs the nutrients in fresh soup.
  • Options
    diablodiablo Posts: 8,300
    Forum Member
    Home made pea 'n ham soup is quite easy to make and is delicious - vastly better than the stuff that Mrs Baxter puts in those cans.

And plenty of time to cook the dumplings - which absorb the goodness from the soup. :)

I must do that for myself tomorrow actually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just cook the dumplings in a pan of boiling water for about 20 minutes then add them to the soup