What's the worst damage your front and/or back garden has suffered from?

djcityboydjcityboy Posts: 29
Forum Member
Yesterday, a strong gust of wind knocked over my swinging garden chair, the washing line and one of the fence panels! :eek:

Many years before though, a strong gust of wind knocked over the climbing frame/slide! :eek:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    In the 1970s a taxicab skidded off the road in a snowstorm and came through the front fence which also had a 6 foot high privet hedge. The fence and hedge ran almost the whole width of the end-of-terrace garden and the cab demolished a central section. I had watched in disbelief from an upstairs window and got downstairs and outside while the driver was still wondering what had happened. There were plenty of people around as it was about 8.30 am; I got the driver's name and reg. no, then rang the police and the taxi firm whose name and tel no were displayed on the cab.

The taxi firm had no option but to admit 100% liability; they eventually paid to have the rest of the privet hedge and fence removed and a new panelled fence put up. This was a great result for me because I had wanted to get rid of the hedge but couldn't afford to have it removed. It used to take hours to cut and clear up as it was about 30 feet long, 6 feet high and 3 feet across. The gap left by the taxi could not simply be replaced by new hedging.
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A herd of cows that had escaped from a nearby field.
  • djcityboydjcityboy Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    Cathye143 wrote: »
    In the 1970s a taxicab skidded off the road in a snowstorm and came through the front fence which also had a 6 foot high privet hedge. The fence and hedge ran almost the whole width of the end-of-terrace garden and the cab demolished a central section. I had watched in disbelief from an upstairs window and got downstairs and outside while the driver was still wondering what had happened. There were plenty of people around as it was about 8.30 am; I got the driver's name and reg. no, then rang the police and the taxi firm whose name and tel no were displayed on the cab.

The taxi firm had no option but to admit 100% liability; they eventually paid to have the rest of the privet hedge and fence removed and a new panelled fence put up. This was a great result for me because I had wanted to get rid of the hedge but couldn't afford to have it removed. It used to take hours to cut and clear up as it was about 30 feet long, 6 feet high and 3 feet across. The gap left by the taxi could not simply be replaced by new hedging.
    I don't know whether to be pleased for you for a situation like that or not! :confused:
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2 years ago I had a burst water pipe underneath my patio and the whole back fence blew down, last year the phone line blew down in gales ... im hoping im not goin to have any damage this year (fingers crossed)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dawn Sun wrote: »
    A herd of cows that had escaped from a nearby field.

The same happened to me in my last home. They trampled down my fence and made a right mess. I had planted bulbs a week or so before and didn't realise until they came up that the trampling meant they had spread them all about... Instead of a neat row either side of my garden path, they were dotted haphazardly all over the place!
  • Dawn SunDawn Sun Posts: 1,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rockville wrote: »
    The same happened to me in my last home. They trampled down my fence and made a right mess. I had planted bulbs a week or so before and didn't realise until they came up that the trampling meant they had spread them all about... Instead of a neat row either side of my garden path, they were dotted haphazardly all over the place!

:D That made me laugh, sorry! Our cows just came wandering up the drive and then had an aimless perambulation round the garden!
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sheep in the garden happen fairly regularly. And chickens (not mine). The chickens go home when it's their teatime, but the sheep are a b*gger to get back over the fence.

Cows don't get in, but they eat all the plants off the back fence, so I can't grow any climbers there.

But the worst damage was done by the bl**dy builders I had in last year, who chucked stuff around willy-nilly, and trampled all over my precious plants in spite of my repeatedly asking/telling them not to.:mad::mad:

Oh, and the wind blew the shed door off, and the fence down. (In 2 seperate incidents).
  • potatolegspotatolegs Posts: 5,099
    Forum Member
    djcityboy wrote: »
    Yesterday, a strong gust of wind knocked over my swinging garden chair, the washing line and one of the fence panels! :eek:

Many years before though, a strong gust of wind knocked over the climbing frame/slide! :eek:

With all the news lately about the cyclone and extreme flooding in Northern Australia and other areas, we shouldn't forget that the UK has also had its share of devastating weather in the last couple of weeks.

Below is a photo showing damage to a home from a recent storm that passed through the Berkshire area. Many a bingo game was played in this very spot before its untimely devastation. It really makes you cherish what you have and reminds us not to take life for granted.

http://tinypic.com/r/2cfbjo7/6
    Forum Member
    potatolegs wrote: »
    With all the news lately about the cyclone and extreme flooding in Northern Australia and other areas, we shouldn't forget that the UK has also had its share of devastating weather in the last couple of weeks.

Below is a photo showing damage to a home from a recent storm that passed through the Berkshire area. Many a bingo game was played in this very spot before its untimely devastation. It really makes you cherish what you have and reminds us not to take life for granted.

http://tinypic.com/r/2cfbjo7/6
    I am scared in case next time something worse happens like a window gets put through from an object being blown about, or part of my house collapsing! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    When I was younger, my parents and I lived in a house that was directly on the corner of an awkward turning in the road and numerous cars flew into our front garden over the years. One evening, a car ran into it and smashed up the garden wall so my dad spent the next day building it back up... just for another to crash into it again that same night. He continued to re-build it every time it happened, saying that he'd rather do that than end up having to re-build the front of our house!
  • mackaramackara Posts: 4,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have massive weeds , really bad ones.
    Forum Member
    When I was younger, my parents and I lived in a house that was directly on the corner of an awkward turning in the road and numerous cars flew into our front garden over the years. One evening, a car ran into it and smashed up the garden wall so my dad spent the next day building it back up... just for another to crash into it again that same night. He continued to re-build it every time it happened, saying that he'd rather do that than end up having to re-build the front of our house!
    Did he have a cursed front garden or something? :eek:
  • rbdcayrbdcay Posts: 12,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Someone was bound to say this so I will.

I thought this thread was about an entirely different type of front and back gardens.
  • CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I used my girlfriend's Veet on mine once, that turned out to be a horrendous mistake. Never again
  • afcbfanafcbfan Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    djcityboy wrote: »

People in <insert name of country> have far more inclement, garden-destroying weather than we do in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rioting prats kicked the gate off its hinges in 2011, threw a few things at the window (it wasn't broken) and made a mess of the yard. One of the disadvantes of living where I did.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My house is right on the bend on a busy road.

I've lived here 18 years, and TWICE in that time a car (not he same car!) has driven too fast up the road and gone straight instead of going round the bend, and drove through my front garden wall into my front garden.

Luckily each time it has been late at night and so no other vehicles involved, and amazingly no-one was seriously hurt.

Also lucky that I had a wall there, or they may have ploughed straight into the house.
    Forum Member
    afcbfan wrote: »
    People in <insert name of country> have far more inclement, garden-destroying weather than we do in the UK.
    Which is why I am thankful to live where I do, thank god! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 163
    Forum Member
    The day we put our previous house on the market, the men came and put the For Sale sign up. When I got home later there was a strong smell of gas. I phoned the gas board out and they found the leak was coming from our property. They dug up the whole front garden to find that the For Sale sign had initially been hammered straight though the gas line. They must have realised what they had done, pulled the sign out, moved it then filled in the hole :eek: Our front garden was completely destroyed and the Estate Agents gave us compensation to try and put the garden right before prospective buyers came to view it. Don't know if the men were given a warning - they could have killed us! :mad:
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A cat jumped up onto the bird table and broke it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People made a bomb . It went off at the bottom of our garden.

edit.
    p.s. - Lads who made the bomb were just boys. They lost legs and hands and are maimed for life. They didn't know what they were doing or what for.
    I'm still very scared. It was a horrible night for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

A car crashed into a house in a town not far from me.

There was a long country road where cars often drove very fast then there were houses on a bend before most of the cars had slowed down to drive through the town.

I saw the house after it happened, it was a total mess. The speed limit on that road has now been changed and there are a lot of warning signs.

News story and picture of the house: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/7863331.stm
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    Some oiks would kick the front gates down:mad:..
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    Both have been truly battered, I won't go in to detail :o