Who Will Get The Brit?? Ed V Sam Smith

2»

Comments

• Options
    Nicola37Nicola37 Posts: 2,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zac Quinn wrote: »
    I think you're being rather ignorant there - St Vincent came out on top in every 'album of 2014' chart that I read. Certainly NME and The Guardian.

Disappointed George Ezra isn't nominated for Best Video, if only because it'd mean I've actually seen a nominee in that category :blush:

Ed Sheeran British Album and Video, Paloma Faith British Female, Sam Smith British Male (would love it to be Paolo though), One Direction British Group (tragically), Royal Blood for British Breakthrough, 'Rather Be' for British Single, Pharrell for International Male, Taylor Swift International Female, Foo Fighters for International Group, Paul Epworth for Producer.

I probably am to be fair:blush: I only really tend to take notice of bands coming through.

I think those three International ones are cast iron certainties, particularly Taylor and Pharrell.

Olly and Cheryl aren't my cup of tea but I'm very surprised that neither are nominated as they're consistently successful singles artists and in the case of Olly Murs consistently impressive album sales, and have reasonable longevity in the fickle world of pop.

Take That's style on this album obviously hasnt been a winner with this panel, they normally get a nod in Single if nothing else and most of the time British Group too
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad Cheryl wasnt nominated and am surprised Lily wad after publicly calling her own album rubbish! Really want Paloma to win just because I love her
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeverminNevermind...
  • Options
    yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Who's Cheryl?
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    Re; Olly Murs I can't really say I'm surprised. He was fairly low key in 2014 working on his new album. Wrapped Up did get to #3 in the charts and held up relatively well but it's far from being one of his best singles. Up is a far better song imo but no doubt this would've missed the deadline to receive a best single nomination.

Also Olly's success throughout 2014 doesn't come close to Ed Sheeran, Sam Smith or George Ezra and as Zac Quinn posted they always choose one "credible" artist.

Cheryl not getting any nominations is fully deserved. She might have the most UK #1s for a British female solo artist in the UK but this "accolade" proves how pointless the UK charts can be. Her two #1 singles both crashed and burned after topping the chart and neither had the sales power to even finish inside the top 40 biggest selling singles of the year. When a UK #1 is being outsold by a song that peaked at #11 (Let It Go by Idina Menzel) you just know the UK charts are a mess.

On an additional note, Crazy Stupid Love peaked at #22 on the Spotify streaming chart. That's where the song should've officially peaked in the first place. As for I Don't Care, that was just a bland attempt at trying to be controversial by swearing in the chorus. Eminem was doing that 15 years ago with style. lol

Shame as I thought the instrumental to I Don't Care was alright. It was just everything else that made it horrendous.
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    The album category is a weird one. Doesn't seem to be based on sales because Alt-J are included ahead of Coldplay and Paolo Nutini, but doesn't seem to be based on critical acclaim because 'In The Lonely Hour' is there which the critics were distinctly 'meh' about whilst 'Trouble in Paradise' by La Roux which got five stars from the likes of The Guardian and The Independent is nowhere to be seen. Maybe its a bit of both.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    Nicola37 wrote: »
    I probably am to be fair:blush: I only really tend to take notice of bands coming through.

I think those three International ones are cast iron certainties, particularly Taylor and Pharrell.

Olly and Cheryl aren't my cup of tea but I'm very surprised that neither are nominated as they're consistently successful singles artists and in the case of Olly Murs consistently impressive album sales, and have reasonable longevity in the fickle world of pop.

Take That's style on this album obviously hasnt been a winner with this panel, they normally get a nod in Single if nothing else and most of the time British Group too

I suspect Olly & Take That may have come too late in the year to be included (not sure but I think the single and video categories are more lenient there hence the inclusion of Uptown Funk) - as for Cheryl, does anyone in the music industry actually take her remotely seriously? She's a brand rather than an artist and the only category she could really have been considered for was Best Single. As the nominees are the biggest sellers from the year she obviously isn't popular enough to be included!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The album category is a weird one. Doesn't seem to be based on sales because Alt-J are included ahead of Coldplay and Paolo Nutini, but doesn't seem to be based on critical acclaim because 'In The Lonely Hour' is there which the critics were distinctly 'meh' about whilst 'Trouble in Paradise' by La Roux which got five stars from the likes of The Guardian and The Independent is nowhere to be seen. Maybe its a bit of both.

They always try to mix both - and usually fail. I'm disappointed that Paolo Nutini's album wasn't included though as I think its really good, and also sold well - but I guess they want to favour the new boys. Alt J is a strange one though!!
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    ...and I originally thought that Thinking Out Loud was a cover of a Van Morrison song.:p Granted, Sheeran has admitted he was 'channeling' the grumpy Irish genius in the song.

I think Ed & Sam will win big but I prefer Ezra's album to either of theirs. But he'll get Breakthrough...

Yep, it really does feel like it should be a cover version. I personally think he should offer the song to Van Morrison himself to cover :D Don't think it will happen though, but I would love that if it did.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    konebyvax wrote: »
    ...and I originally thought that Thinking Out Loud was a cover of a Van Morrison song.:p Granted, Sheeran has admitted he was 'channeling' the grumpy Irish genius in the song.

I think Ed & Sam will win big but I prefer Ezra's album to either of theirs. But he'll get Breakthrough...
    Royal Blood are near-certainties for the Breakthrough, surely
    Tejas wrote: »
    disappointed that Paolo Nutini's album wasn't included though as I think its really good, and also sold well

Aye, my record of the year along with 'Trouble in Paradise'. Also you have to think 'Iron Sky' would be a shoe-in for Best Single if it was decided on critical acclaim rather than sales. Ah well.
  • Options
    PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really can't call it between Sam Smith and Ed Sheeran. They've both had huge success this year.

Not a bad list of nominations really. I'm not surprised Olly and Take That aren't nominated because they didn't release material until late on last year and their singles didn't quite sell enough to make best single. I hope Olly gets a nomination in 2016.

I don't know why people are surprised about Cheryl... she deserved her nominations back in 2010 because she had a huge selling album/single and she seemed engaged with the music she was making. This year her music has been really lazy (as well as her promo) and she just didn't sell enough to get best single; it's as simple as that. I know people bring up the no.1s record but I'm glad that doesn't automatically mean a nomination.

I'm really thrilled Jessie Ware has a nomination. Tough Love is one of my favourite songs from last year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aye, my record of the year along with 'Trouble in Paradise'. Also you have to think 'Iron Sky' would be a shoe-in for Best Single if it was decided on critical acclaim rather than sales. Ah well.

I hear you! How 'Iron Sky' wasn't a massive hit is really beyond me - that record really does give you the shivers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I hear you! How 'Iron Sky' wasn't a massive hit is really beyond me - that record really does give you the shivers.

Aye. Should have been the lead single, or at least available for download when Adele etc were tweeting about it. By the time it was available to download through the album, let alone when the video came out and it was sent to radio (in August), the hype had completely died. Could finally have been the moment when he became a big singles-seller rather than just an album-seller, but it wasn't to be. Can't believe Paolo's not had a top 10 hit since Last Request :o:o:o Real shame.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

The live version from Abbey Road is even better than the recorded version. Superb song. A Paolo Nutini/Charlie Chaplin duet, who'd have thunk it? :o:D