The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• tommygrimshaw25tommygrimshaw25 Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how "North Pole Ice Airport" did last night on Channel 5 at 8pm?
    Also, does anyone have the full ratings breakdown for BBC1 primetime last night?

Many thanks! :D
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN do you have final ratings for this year's series of Father Brown?
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    For anyone who watches Silent Witness, is there a particular reason why it is doing so well and recording some of its highest numbers in years?

I really cant say yes to that. There is a mostly new cast and the stories have been good but no better than the last few series as far as I am concerned. I cant tell you why at all.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope I won't be seen as being cold by saying this but I have the feeling both Coronation Street and The National Television Awards were both boosted by Anne Kirkbride's death; viewers were keen for a bit of nostalgia and seeing if anything was said. Very strong figures for both all the same. What a start for Wolf Hall! That's a superb figure and it will interesting to see how it holds up next week. Celebrity Big Brother was dented but not to a horrible extent. I understand it had tough opposition but that isn't great for Crimewatch. Channel 4 also struggled to make an impact.

[highlight]In the DS Ratings Predictions Game it's Challenge Week, which means no special and every show carries the same weight. But how will that affect the scores?

Will Midsomer Murders kill off people's chance or will Churchill's farewell result in players welcoming high scores? Could Eat Well for Less result in people scoring more on the board and could The Magna Carta put some people Bang to Rights? The Great Sewing Bee could stitch up a few while others may make The Jump and crash land...

So what are you waiting for? Simply click [/highlight]HERE[highlight], hit reply, delete the quote marks and get predicting!

Best of luck and thank you to all those who take part.

:)[/highlight]
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lots of talk recently about BARB measuring and sample sizes. You might find this worth a look.

http://www.barb.co.uk/whats-new/360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »
    I really cant say yes to that. There is a mostly new cast and the stories have been good but no better than the last few series as far as I am concerned. I cant tell you why at all.

Nobody can and I love that we can't work it out. It's great to see a show bucking the downward trend. I think Silent Witness has been good for years. Perhaps some new people have discovered it?
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Nobody can and I love that we can't work it out. It's great to see a show bucking the downward trend. I think Silent Witness has been good for years. Perhaps some new people have discovered it?

Suppose it's similar to NCIS which was always a solid performer but then slowly became a ratings monster without much fanfare thanks to repeats and syndication but Silent Witness is more remarkable because it has not been repeated at all on BBC One, perhaps on Drama or Alibi.

I'm surprised they haven't considered doing a spin-off to Silent Witness, maybe introducing a character in one of the stories who then could be star in a standalone series but the failure of the Waking the Dead spin-off The Body Farm probably put BBC One off attempting another spin-off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Suppose it's similar to NCIS which was always a solid performer but then slowly became a ratings monster without much fanfare thanks to repeats and syndication but Silent Witness is more remarkable because it has not been repeated at all on BBC One, perhaps on Drama or Alibi.

I'm surprised they haven't considered doing a spin-off to Silent Witness, maybe introducing a character in one of the stories who then could be star in a standalone series but the failure of the Waking the Dead spin-off The Body Farm probably put BBC One off attempting another spin-off

The Body Farm felt like a bargain basement Waking The Dead. Plus it was a spin off that worked well in support but I don't think was was strong enough to lead a series. The supporting characters were weak too. Nothing worked.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any CBB officials that may have been released from the week beginning Monday 12th?
  • Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Good to see Corrie stay strong in the 7PM slot last night with a solid 8.1m - incidentally, that's the same rating it got a year ago in the same slot for the Hayley death aftermath. And last year the Monday episodes were over 1m higher so good to see the Wednesday episode flat y-o-y.

Also good for the NTA's. About 1m higher than I was expecting. Wolf Hall did amazingly well. 3.9m - the biggest BBC2 drama launch since 2005. :o Crazy!
  • Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    For anyone who watches Silent Witness, is there a particular reason why it is doing so well and recording some of its highest numbers in years?

I've only been watching since last year, so as far as I'm concerned the current cast ARE Silent Witness, and I can't compare the quality of the show to when it first started. But I certainly think the stories this series are that much better than last year. And it has Emilia Fox, which will always be a plus for me.

To be honest, when New Tricks was massively popular even the cast didn't know why, but that stumbled for the first time in over a decade when the new team was established. Maybe it's just forensic shows (people have mentioned NCIS, but remember the CSI franchise is still going strong).
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Timothy West and Linda Henry were outstanding on EE tonight
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Corrie stay strong in the 7PM slot last night with a solid 8.1m - incidentally, that's the same rating it got a year ago in the same slot for the Hayley death aftermath. And last year the Monday episodes were over 1m higher so good to see the Wednesday episode flat y-o-y.

Also good for the NTA's. About 1m higher than I was expecting. Wolf Hall did amazingly well. 3.9m - the biggest BBC2 drama launch since 2005. :o Crazy!

I didn't realise that about Corrie. Great ratings for Wednesday at 7pm.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only been watching since last year, so as far as I'm concerned the current cast ARE Silent Witness, and I can't compare the quality of the show to when it first started. But I certainly think the stories this series are that much better than last year. And it has Emilia Fox, which will always be a plus for me.

To be honest, when New Tricks was massively popular even the cast didn't know why, but that stumbled for the first time in over a decade when the new team was established. Maybe it's just forensic shows (people have mentioned NCIS, but remember the CSI franchise is still going strong).

So you're new to Silent Witness. Why did you start watching recently and not a few years ago out of interest?
  • Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

That's wonderful to hear.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »

EastEnders was excellent tonight, perfect episodes to follow their NTA win if it has caused any extra interest, and Emmerdale was very enjoyable too. I hope all four episodes do well, but can see EastEnders having its usual hangover from the clash with the second episode being dented further by being at 8.30pm. (Corrie's last night was not your typical out-of-slot episode, so shouldn't be used as a benchmark.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders was excellent tonight, perfect episodes to follow their NTA win if it has caused any extra interest, and Emmerdale was very enjoyable too. I hope all four episodes do well, but can see EastEnders having its usual hangover from the clash with the second episode being dented further by being at 8.30pm. (Corrie's last night was not your typical out-of-slot episode, so shouldn't be used as a benchmark.)

Would be good to see EastEnders get a boost after the Tuesday clash.
  • dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,279
    Forum Member
    It was everything soap should be.
    The writing and acting were outstanding. For me it's the best episode since Easter Monday.
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intrigued to see how Cucumber and Banana do. I think anything over two million would be great for Channel 4, Twitter's been jumping all over it whereas DS seems to be slating it. May turn out to be like the Cyberbully rating, hopefully not though.
  • Ben_PainterBen_Painter Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    So you're new to Silent Witness. Why did you start watching recently and not a few years ago out of interest?

I think before last year it was just in the background for me. I knew of it and knew it had been on for ages, but to be fair the only reason I really watched it was because I was surfing iPlayer starved of entertainment ;). But it got me hooked and from then on I made sure I caught up on it every week.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Intrigued to see how Cucumber and Banana do. I think anything over two million would be great for Channel 4, Twitter's been jumping all over it whereas DS seems to be slating it. May turn out to be like the Cyberbully rating, hopefully not though.

It's getting a very marmite reaction - both on here & my twitter feed.
  • KennyTKennyT Posts: 20,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't see this posted anywhere else:

Sherlock, Top Gear and Murdered By My Boyfriend drive record-breaking 2014 on BBC iPlayer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2015/iplayer-2014-stats

on my browser it's not formatted properly, but copy/paste almost works:
    Programme	Episode 	Total Requests
    Sherlock Series 3	The Empty Hearse Episode 1	4,186,900
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 1	3,809,400
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 3	3,417,800
    Top Gear Series 21	Burma Special - Part 1 Episode 6	3,341,400
    Sherlock Series 3	The Sign of Three Episode 2	3,329,000
    Sherlock Series 3	His Last Vow Episode 3	3,209,300
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 2	3,085,100
    Murdered by My Boyfriend	23/06/2014	3,022,400
    Outnumbered Series 5	Episode 1	2,859,600
    Doctor Who Series 8	Deep Breath Episode 1	2,804,500
    Top Gear Series 21	Burma Special - Part 2 Episode 7	2,797,700
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 4	2,547,500
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 5	2,464,300
    The Great British Bake Off Series 5	Cake Episode 1	2,312,800
    Top Gear	Patagonia Special, Part 1 27/12/2014	2,285,700
    Outnumbered Series 5	Episode 2	2,240,100
    Outnumbered Series 5	Episode 3	2,170,800
    The Apprentice Series 10	Online Video Channel Episode 4	2,085,900
    The Apprentice Series 10	Advertising - New York Episode 7	2,070,600
    Outnumbered Series 5	Episode 4	

Top 20 TV episodes – best-performing episode per series
    Programme 	Episode 	Total Requests
    Sherlock Series 3	The Empty Hearse Episode 1	4,186,900
    Top Gear Series 21	Episode 1	3,809,400
    Murdered by My Boyfriend	23/06/2014	3,022,400
    Outnumbered Series 5	Episode 1	2,859,600
    Doctor Who Series 8	Deep Breath Episode 1	2,804,500
    The Great British Bake Off Series 5	Cake Episode 1	2,312,800
    The Apprentice Series 10	Online Video Channel Episode 4	2,085,900
    The Voice UK Series 3	Blind Auditions 1 Episode 1	2,027,700
    The Missing	Episode 1	2,005,500
    Happy Valley	Episode 1	1,983,100
    Gnomeo & Juliet	09/12/2011	1,913,000

Bad Education Series 3	Strike	1,825,700
    Our Girl Series 1	Episode 1	1,799,000
    Ja'mie: Private School Girl	Episode 1	1,753,600
    Waterloo Road Series 9	Episode 11	1,730,500
    EastEnders	25/12/2014	1,729,200
    The Dumping Ground Series 2	Endurance Episode 7	1,699,600
    The Musketeers	Episode 1	1,694,100
    Life and Death Row	Execution Episode 1	1,642,900
    The Honourable Woman	The Empty Chair Episode 1	1,614,900

K
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think the Silent Witness stories have upped their game this year. In the past they could get quite obscure and meandering, I guess after so many years covering pretty much every type of case. But this year they seem to have homed in on topics that are of immediate public concern and by chance had some topicality. Casual viewers might have been grabbed by that..
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    I do think the Silent Witness stories have upped their game this year. In the past they could get quite obscure and meandering, I guess after so many years covering pretty much every type of case. But this year they seem to have homed in on topics that are of immediate public concern and by chance had some topicality. Casual viewers might have been grabbed by that..

I think there's also the knowledge that there'll be some kind of pay off for viewers in the second episode. This is why Broadchurch is starting to flounder a bit, as there's no clear sense of what the payoff will be at the end of the eight episodes this time around
  • davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know why it has grown so much, but I for one am very pleased and will take a stab at guessing. I think the show has built up a strong reputation over the years to tell some really gripping, well written stories which could explain the rise in audiences, good word of mouth etc and the show is now reaping rewards. And each two part story is very different and self contained. So even if you miss a story, it doesn't necessarily matter, as a casual viewer you can easily dip in and out. Each story is very different, so I imagine it caters to a very broad section of the viewing audience. If you like action, horror or a straightforward whodunnit, Silent Witness provides those elements in every story.

Plus the main cast is now very settled and it's a talented cast of strong actors.
This discussion has been closed.