Ladies-Ovranette pill...can I take 3 packets back to back?

sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
Forum Member
✭✭
Ladies,

Ive been on the same pill now for close to 9 years and never had any issues with it. Blood pressure is fine, it fits into my life etc.

The last time I had a pill free day was 4 weeks ago, I went onto my packet as usual for 3 weeks, then instead of having a break I started a new packet and Im now 1 week into that. When the packet is due to end will be May 29th, Ive got afew things planned for the jubliee weekend and being on will effect these plans :o and I will still likely to be on my withdrawal period so I want to start my next packet straight away, meaning I will have taken 3 packets back to back.

Now about 3 years ago my GP said it was ok to do this, Ive taken 2 packets back to back with no side effects (period not heavy or anything) and I just wanted your advice on if you think its going to be ok to do 3 packets. Like I said my GP said I could take up to 6 packets if I wanted but I just wanted your thoughts.

Comments

• babinabababinaba Posts: 5,442
    Forum Member
    I have taken 3 packs back to back - same reasons, had things planned that would have landed at the wrong time. I take an equivalent to Ovranette. I did have some spotting but I think that was mostly down to me taking it at different times as I was out and about a lot, if you take it on the dot at the same time every day, you shouldn't have a problem :) Sucks being female sometimes ;) hehe
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 59
    Forum Member
    I'm not on Ovranette but assuminng it a combined pill like mine (Yasmin) then I've been taking 3 packets back to back for over a year. This means I have about 4 periods a year - hurrah! My doctor says it is fine as long as I have a minimum of 4 a year to help prevent womb cancer (I have no idea how etc, I've just taken her word for it)
  • bridgetbbridgetb Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've taken 3 packs back to back and not had any problems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes OP it's fine.

Apparently the only reason contraceptive pills were designed to give a one-week break, and hence a period, was so that the women taking them would feel "normal"! :rolleyes:
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's called tricycling if you want to look it up.

there is a perception or received wisdom, that you have to limit it to three packs or 9 weeks as your body 'needs' to have a period. my understanding is that there is no medical evidence for this. (caveat i may have misremembered this or be making it up.) notwithstanding this 3 is fine.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cheers guys I will go ahead and do this!