Options

Why is Pixie Lott promoting everythat moves?!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
Forum Member
From what I can work out she's currently 'the face' of:

Batiste Dry Shampoo
Magnitone face thingy
Post Office
Sainsbury's Nectar card
Pandora jewellery
Land Rover

There's probably more. I know her last two albums went kaput but is she really that hard up?!

Comments

• Options
    fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't buy anything with her stage school, rictus grin promoting it.
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because they are paying her to.:D
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's on a 360 record deal. The label pay for her album, recording, promotion etc. In return they take a cut of her earnings from areas other than music (such as Strictly Come Dancing). If her music flops, the label still won't drop her as they still make money from her due to them taking a cut of her other earnings. She's probab;y signed up to do all of these other thigns such as Sainsburys' Nectar Card, Post Office, Pandora Jewelerry in order to ensure the record label are still gettign a cut and will fund another album for her,
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    She's on a 360 record deal. The label pay for her album, recording, promotion etc. In return they take a cut of her earnings from areas other than music (such as Strictly Come Dancing). If her music flops, the label still won't drop her as they still make money from her due to them taking a cut of her other earnings. She's probab;y signed up to do all of these other thigns such as Sainsburys' Nectar Card, Post Office, Pandora Jewelerry in order to ensure the record label are still gettign a cut and will fund another album for her,

That makes a lot of sense.

She's never topped her debut, in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 241
    Forum Member

Blimey. It all makes sense now. It also explains why her PR seem to have paid various media (Mainly Daily Mail to be fair) to push out all sorts of non-stories about her to keep her relevant.

God, how soul-destroying, and going on the last couple of albums she must owe her record company a FORTUNE.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Christ, the music industry has got bugger all to do with music has it :(
  • Options
    GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well she needs something to stay relevant as she tries to salvage whats left of her music career.
  • Options
    Derek FayeDerek Faye Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LOL the post office! :D

Postie Lott
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    mimicole wrote: »
    That makes a lot of sense.

She's never topped her debut, in my opinion.

She hasn't. I barely listen to her second album as it's just not that good apart from a couple of songs. I think I've listened to her latest album once. It's a shame as she had so much potential and Turn It Up/Louder was brilliant.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finn15 wrote: »
    From what I can work out she's currently 'the face' of:

Batiste Dry Shampoo
    Magnitone face thingy
    Post Office
    Sainsbury's Nectar card
    Pandora jewellery
    Land Rover

There's probably more. I know her last two albums went kaput but is she really that hard up?!

Why should she refuse work if she's being paid very well for it? Her singing career might not last for years into the future, so she probably wants to make as much as she can, while she can.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If true, she's basically paying her label so that she'll get even more work from advertisements. This means that she'd be dropped if she wasn't giving them a cut from her earnings from advertisements. So her label's basically wasting their time making the album if this is the case.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are companies using a second tier celebrity promoting everything that moves? It's not like they've got Michael Jackson or Eric Morecambe here. May b she just cheep huh?
  • Options
    allthatyouwantallthatyouwant Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurovision next I predict
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Because her music career has gone down the drain?
  • Options
    Leanne_Blake1Leanne_Blake1 Posts: 1,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

Thought it was just me who had noticed the inane fixed grin!
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cavalli wrote: »
    Christ, the music industry has got bugger all to do with music has it :(

And people wonder why Noel Gallagher's wonderwall gets steamed up.

It's been less about music and more about PR and sideline profit for years now. Funnily enough, pretty much since Simon Cowell took over our screens.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fefster wrote: »

and slightly spotty chin. Wonder if she will get the farmfoods gig in the future.
  • Options
    TejasTejas Posts: 5,027
    Forum Member
    I really don't understand some of the hate that Pixie gets - I became quite a fan after she appeared on Strictly Come Dancing but even before that, I always thought she seemed very pleasant and grounded. Certainly reports from people who have met or worked with her always paint her as being anything but fake and being very down to earth.

As for the endorsements, I don't blame her as its probably her best way to keep in the public eye and keep doing what she wants to - i.e. making music. Hardly crime of the century is it? She's also just opened a performing acts school with her sister after saying in the past she wants to encourage kids to chase their dreams, so she seems to be putting her money where her mouth is at least.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    and slightly spotty chin. Wonder if she will get the farmfoods gig in the future.

Must admit despite being a Pixie fan that did make me chuckle... bet Len Goodman would be livid as well! :D
  • Options
    Thom001Thom001 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tejas wrote: »
    I really don't understand some of the hate that Pixie gets - I became quite a fan after she appeared on Strictly Come Dancing but even before that, I always thought she seemed very pleasant and grounded. Certainly reports from people who have met or worked with her always paint her as being anything but fake and being very down to earth.

As for the endorsements, I don't blame her as its probably her best way to keep in the public eye and keep doing what she wants to - i.e. making music. Hardly crime of the century is it? She's also just opened a performing acts school with her sister after saying in the past she wants to encourage kids to chase their dreams, so she seems to be putting her money where her mouth is at least.

I know this happened to both Johnny Cash and Johnny Rotten. With the former, Cash's record contract came to an end in 1992 and he ended up in an ad for the American fast food chain, Taco Bell before Rick Rubin rescued his career with The American recordings. With the latter, Johnny Rotten had to star in adverts for Country Life Butter so he could fund the money for a new album for his band, Public Image Ltd.

Anyway, back to the topic. I have always been aware of her career, but having seen her on Strictly and on The One Show last month, I decided to listen to some of her stuff on spotify. I'm glad I did, because she has become of my favourite artists :D
  • Options
    Dennis CDennis C Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Why should she refuse work if she's being paid very well for it? Her singing career might not last for years into the future, so she probably wants to make as much as she can, while she can.

Quite agree! Makes a change from seeing one or other of the Beckhams promoting or endorsing stuff.
  • Options
    ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I followed her on twitter when she was cast on Strictly and her feed was noticeably full of plugs.

It was very off-putting at first but notwithstanding I grew to like her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thom001 wrote: »
    I know this happened to both Johnny Cash and Johnny Rotten. With the former, Cash's record contract came to an end in 1992 and he ended up in an ad for the American fast food chain, Taco Bell before Rick Rubin rescued his career with The American recordings. With the latter, Johnny Rotten had to star in adverts for Country Life Butter so he could fund the money for a new album for his band, Public Image Ltd.

Anyway, back to the topic. I have always been aware of her career, but having seen her on Strictly and on The One Show last month, I decided to listen to some of her stuff on spotify. I'm glad I did, because she has become of my favourite artists :D

Well said. Music stars endorsing stuff is nothing new and somehow I doubt as many people would have dared to criticise the two you mention! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who became a Pixie fan recently. :)
  • Options
    pfgpowellpfgpowell Posts: 5,347
    Forum Member
    My guess is she's earning a good living and putting as much dosh in the bank as she can before the bubble bursts. And why not? Smart cookie.
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel a bit sorry for her. He first album was fantastic...her sound was different, unique, she had her own identity as an artist. From album 2 onwards though it went completely downhill...who on earth advised her to release generic, bubblegum pop? All her music apart from the first album has been awful. The first album felt like it was what she wanted to be doing. Anything else though has always felt to me that it's been the label pulling her strings and calling the shots.