Options

Is Huawei Ascend G300 the best budget smartphone?

2»

Comments

• Options
    lamblamlamblamblamlamb Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    machare wrote: »
    I have seen similar claims but never managed to get even close to that.

Tesco was doing an double cash back for tescos vouchers on mobiles last summer. The phone was £100 but I had £25 in tesco vouchers which went up to £50 with double cash offer. So I paid £50 for the phone but I had got it unlocked by vodaphone shop at the £20 charge so £70 in total.
  • Options
    dobbin231dobbin231 Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    Now I am confused :D

One user says AVI files are unwatchable the other says it works perfectly.

Which one is it guys?

Hi

I can only say what I experienced and it wasn't good. It's a pity you cannot get one to try and see what you think? Can you get one online and then send it back if it doesn't do what you want within 14 days?
    Note: Dobbin I'd like the idea of Nexus 4 but I am amazed to hear that it doesn't come with Micro SD slot when cheaper budget models do.

I think that it's the big move towards 'cloud' services I'm afraid..!!
  • Options
    JustincoxJustincox Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Huawei Ascend G300 is the best smartphone. You can go for it. It is available with the best features and specifications.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    £70 'nearly new' direct from Vodafone at the moment. Full warranty.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    £70 'nearly new' direct from Vodafone at the moment. Full warranty.

The price on the Vodafone site has been a bit volatile lately with the price swinging from £80 to £130 over the past month or so for the as new model.

Need to check their site everyday.
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    The price on the Vodafone site has been a bit volatile lately with the price swinging from £80 to £130 over the past month or so for the as new model.

Need to check their site everyday.

Has it? :confused: AFAIK the price of the 'as new' one has only changed once, from £80 to its present £70. The new one is currently £120 and i agree that has fluctuated a lot.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/huawei-ascend-g300-payg-nn

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/huawei-ascend-g300-payg
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just replaced the Huawei Ascend G300 today with the Nexus 4. It was an OK phone for the price.

I despised Huawei though for releasing such a buggy/slow ICS update.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Huawei Ascend G510 announced today (Vodafone exclusive):

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/50828/huawei-ascend-g510-vodafone-android

Improves on the processor and comes with Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. It's £130 or £13 a month pay monthly.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    I've just replaced the Huawei Ascend G300 today with the Nexus 4. It was an OK phone for the price.

I despised Huawei though for releasing such a buggy/slow ICS update.

I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion with my G300. It's the first smartphone I've owned so I don't have anything to compare it with but surely even a budget smartphone shouldn't be this laggy and keep freezing, crashing and switching itself off and on again?

The browser is truly shite. Whenever I get to the pub, it's a relief to put the G300 away and use my ipod touch with the wi-fi.
  • Options
    HMOHMO Posts: 42,223
    Forum Member
    The one issue with the G300 is the lack of HD video, and the fact pictures don't even open on my Twitter.
  • Options
    mikesuffsmikesuffs Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I had a G300 for a couple of months about a year. Thought it was decent enough but ditched it because the camera was as bad as anything I've seen on a mobile phone.
  • Options
    Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I'm rapidly coming to the same conclusion with my G300. It's the first smartphone I've owned so I don't have anything to compare it with but surely even a budget smartphone shouldn't be this laggy and keep freezing, crashing and switching itself off and on again?

The browser is truly shite. Whenever I get to the pub, it's a relief to put the G300 away and use my ipod touch with the wi-fi.
    If you were more techie I'd recommend you to root and flash CM10.1 on it; far better implementation of the software by the community.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you were more techie I'd recommend you to root and flash CM10.1 on it; far better implementation of the software by the community.

Ha ha! You've spotted that, then?:D

The thing is, I can follow instructions OK, so probably would be capable of rooting a phone. The thing is, on forums like Modaco, the writers assume that a reader already has a heap of background knowledge that they (the writer)obviously have, having been playing around with phones for some time.

You've only got to see the size of the threads that develop with posters saying things like "Ah, so you've got to hold down the off button for at least 10 seconds but you can stop pressing the volume rocker after 5". It seems to me that even people who are familiar with phones have trouble modifying them and that what purport to be straightforward guides, actually miss out a lot of crucial information, either because the writer isn't aware that he's failed to mention it or because he assumes that, if you're reading this, you already know it.

My fear would be ballsing something up and not being able to reverse it, converting the phone into an expensive paperweight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    deleted
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    trying to download firm ware updates as prompted by notification, over wi fi for my huawei g300 ascend u8815. update package verification failure every time. so resorted to using manual method following official instructions online. have managed to root phone and back up imei. then copy correct update to sd card. but when I try to update from sd card the update fails as it cannot ,,open package,,. have followed instructions on replacing file update. app but still no joy. am tearing out my hair. I just want to update to version 935 from 895. please can someone help me? I believe the update will fix the problem of quiet ring tone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    trying to download firm ware updates as prompted by notification, over wi fi for my huawei g300 ascend u8815. update package verification failure every time. so resorted to using manual method following official instructions online. have managed to root phone and back up imei. then copy correct update to sd card. but when I try to update from sd card the update fails as it cannot ,,open package,,. have followed instructions on replacing file update. app but still no joy. am tearing out my hair. I just want to update to version 935 from 895. please can someone help me? I believe the update will fix the problem of quiet ring tone.
  • Options
    SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ha ha! You've spotted that, then?:D

The thing is, I can follow instructions OK, so probably would be capable of rooting a phone. The thing is, on forums like Modaco, the writers assume that a reader already has a heap of background knowledge that they (the writer)obviously have, having been playing around with phones for some time.

You've only got to see the size of the threads that develop with posters saying things like "Ah, so you've got to hold down the off button for at least 10 seconds but you can stop pressing the volume rocker after 5". It seems to me that even people who are familiar with phones have trouble modifying them and that what purport to be straightforward guides, actually miss out a lot of crucial information, either because the writer isn't aware that he's failed to mention it or because he assumes that, if you're reading this, you already know it.

My fear would be ballsing something up and not being able to reverse it, converting the phone into an expensive paperweight.

Amen to that. :D