Options

ITV News Regions

JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So what regions have now reverted to the 20 minute split programmes? Has anyone in these regions noticed an increase in local news or just more padding.

Comments

• Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    So what regions have now reverted to the 20 minute split programmes? Has anyone in these regions noticed an increase in local news or just more padding.

All regions have changed to their specific requirements. As of the 16th.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So have the sub-regions like Thames Valley been restored ?
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    So have the sub-regions like Thames Valley been restored ?

I believe Thames Valley gets an opt-out of at least 2 minutes within Meridian's 6pm programme. The other sub-regions have been partly restored (20 minutes out of 30 in the 6pm show is sub-Region) as of the 16th September.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 52
    Forum Member
    thought the thames valley opt out was 10 mins with the 20 mins of the 30 mins that meridian west - Hampshire and neary gets to itself in itv news meridian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Shows how much I notice then. Never realised watching ITV Central.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    How do they fill the other 10 minutes? I'm in Wales, I think I read that we will still have a 30 minute programme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JELLIES0 wrote: »
    How do they fill the other 10 minutes? I'm in Wales, I think I read that we will still have a 30 minute programme

With shared content, not necessarily from the macro region itself. Might be an edited nationwide story.
  • Options
    NewbieBen12NewbieBen12 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    The below regions have 20 minutes sub-regional:
    Anglia E, Anglia W
    Central E, Central W
    Calendar N, Calendar S
    West, Westcountry
    Meridian South, Meridian South East (the South has a 10 minte opt for the Thames Valley)

The below regions are fully sub-regional:
    Border, Tyne Tees
    Channel TV,
    Granada,
    Wales,
    London

Aggregated content means a report from Wiltshire for example can be edited so that the content is somewhat linked to another region.

Also, a story which is first in the running order on Calendar N could appear third on Calendar S, if it is deemed relevant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyne Tees is aggregated too. Had some story on Friday night about titanic which had bit's from Swindon and Belfast. Sadly (already) Border had the same story the night before. They aren't even supposed to have aggregated news :(
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member

Also, a story which is first in the running order on Calendar N could appear third on Calendar S, if it is deemed relevant.

Nothing in one part of the "Calendar region" is relevant to any other part of the ITV created monster-region.

I live in Hull, where the BBC serves with East Yorkshire/ Lincs versions of local news.
    Not sure where Hull sits in Calendar North or Calendar South but we either get news about Sheffield, Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Derbyshire, or news about Leeds, Bradford York, Halifax and Huddersfield
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shared content, macro region, aggregated content - it's all utter mumbo jumbo, no wonder the BBC wins in every region bar UTV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shared content, macro region, aggregated content - it's all utter mumbo jumbo, no wonder the BBC wins in every region bar UTV.

AND Border. However you just like to stick it in to ITV whenever you can.
  • Options
    David_VaughanDavid_Vaughan Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few years ago it looked like ITV would drop regional news if they could get away with it now they seem to be making an effort, so why not give it a chance and see how it works
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    Nothing in one part of the "Calendar region" is relevant to any other part of the ITV created monster-region.

I live in Hull, where the BBC serves with East Yorkshire/ Lincs versions of local news.
    Not sure where Hull sits in Calendar North or Calendar South but we either get news about Sheffield, Lincolnshire, Norfolk and Derbyshire, or news about Leeds, Bradford York, Halifax and Huddersfield

The Calendar regions are different from the BBCs, namely that the Sheffield relay (former Calendar South area) is included with the Belmont (East) area, therefore stories from Sheffield and South Yorkshire are relevant to both.

Complaints about the size of the Calendar region is hardly the fault of ITV and their recent cost cutting. It was only ever one full region (with short news opt outs) for all but 2 years of it's 45 year existence.

To answer a question above, I haven't noticed any jarring stories in the last 10 mins. Most of that is used for the weather chat and the weather forecast anyway.
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London and Granada are the only English regions which must retain a fully local 30 minute bulletin, as they serve heavily populated areas. The other regions are allowed to share reports to fill the last 10 minutes.

Across the week most regions are getting more local news than previously; with at least 20 minutes at 6pm and newly split lunchtime/late/weekend bulletins.

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/consultations/c3-c5-obligations/statement/statement.pdf has full details of the new arrangements.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    Andy23 wrote: »
    The Calendar regions are different from the BBCs, namely that the Sheffield relay (former Calendar South area) is included with the Belmont (East) area, therefore stories from Sheffield and South Yorkshire are relevant to both.

Complaints about the size of the Calendar region is hardly the fault of ITV and their recent cost cutting. It was only ever one full region (with short news opt outs) for all but 2 years of it's 45 year existence.

To answer a question above, I haven't noticed any jarring stories in the last 10 mins. Most of that is used for the weather chat and the weather forecast anyway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(News)

According to wiki - always reliable - Calendar was never "one regional news programme" until recently - it had North, South and East sub regions.

The Hull newsroom closed down before I moved here in 2005, so I have never been interested in watching Calendar as news from Leeds and Sheffield is of no interest to me, the same way I was not interested in stories from Norwich when I lived near Peterborough in the Anglia regions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    London and Granada are the only English regions which must retain a fully local 30 minute bulletin, as they serve heavily populated areas. The other regions are allowed to share reports to fill the last 10 minutes.

Border too gets 30 full mins
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AND Border. However you just like to stick it in to ITV whenever you can.

Giving a straightforward (and I would have thought fairly uncontroversial) fact is hardly ''sticking it in'' to ITV.
  • Options
    JELLIES0JELLIES0 Posts: 6,709
    Forum Member
    With shared content, not necessarily from the macro region itself. Might be an edited nationwide story.

Thanks for that. I will have to remember to watch Central instead of ITV Wales one night to check it out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Giving a straightforward (and I would have thought fairly uncontroversial) fact is hardly ''sticking it in'' to ITV.

There may well be regional news faults, but you are very "stick it to ITV with no positives at all"
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_(News)

According to wiki - always reliable - Calendar was never "one regional news programme" until recently - it had North, South and East sub regions.

The Hull newsroom closed down before I moved here in 2005, so I have never been interested in watching Calendar as news from Leeds and Sheffield is of no interest to me, the same way I was not interested in stories from Norwich when I lived near Peterborough in the Anglia regions.

Only ever short news round ups were sub regional except for the 2 years when ITV created a full separate east programme, and then axed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London and Granada are the only English regions which must retain a fully local 30 minute bulletin, as they serve heavily populated areas.

So why does Central West only have 20 minutes, when the West Midlands as I understand it to be the second most populated area outside of London?
  • Options
    RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So why does Central West only have 20 minutes, when the West Midlands as I understand it to be the second most populated area outside of London?

I guess it's due to the Central region being two sub-regions, unlike the Granada and London regions.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Rijowhite wrote: »
    I guess it's due to the Central region being two sub-regions, unlike the Granada and London regions.

That's right. The single Granada service covers areas as diverse as Cumbria right down to some parts of NorthWest Derbyshire and even the Isle of Man.

It's a big region so the 20 minute changes don't apply.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've noticed Central Weekend Weather is now sub regional. I've never actually known it be like this AFAIK it's always been pan regional at the weekend, even in the Carlton Central days.

Plus I really don't like the pan regional bit at the end, a horrible generic backdrop and the top stories from the whole of the region, which is pointless. I'd prefer they just prerecord the whole 30 minutes.