Hudl competitor from Lidl@ £89.99

2»

Comments

• finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Ah, well maybe you weren't around when someone put up threads (2 IIRC) because of how crappy the hudl SD slot was perceived to be.

They said it wasn't working and then proceeded to dig around in the slot (with a pin!) to remove the card.

It turned-out that it had been mounted incorrectly (I surmised this as after I posted a link to instructions on how to mount/unmount, the OP never returned to the thread) and the FM concerned wasn't even a tech-novice ;)

Hey, only time will tell but IMO 8GB internal storage is an issue and it's an issue to the point where I wouldn't even consider buying a tablet with such limitations.

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that and besides, having to buy an SD card ups the value immediately and it's just another level of aggro that's not needed if a 16GB version was purchased to begin with.

We should never underestimate the stupidity of people.
    I had someone say to me that they didn't want a Hudl because there brother had got one and the sd card stuck out - er just push it in until it clicks maybe. A woman at work also had her Galaxy Ace for over 6 months and was amazed when her showed her the notification pull down shade. She didn't know it was there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ssr wrote: »

Long battery life? 4 hours?
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a firm believer that one gets what one pays for so, as with the Hudl, I wouldn't look at this tablet.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid one is wrong in ones assumption of the hudl Louise, for the money it is an exceptional tablet, take the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 as an example it's more expensive than the hudl but it has a dual core cpu where hudl has a quad, the Tab 3 has 8gb storage where hudl has 16gb, the Tab has a screen resolution of 1020x600 where hudl has 1400x900 and so on, The Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 is a fairly new product that uses tech from 2011, the hudl is not an ipad beater and it's not trying to be, it's the best tablet at that price point and beats the Tab 3 hands down.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    I'm a firm believer that one gets what one pays for so, as with the Hudl, I wouldn't look at this tablet.

So, er, what is wrong with the Hudl? Its virtually a stock Android tablet that happens to be almost as fast as the current Nexus 7, with a usefully high resolution screen and is quite amazingly priced.

I'd happily suggest the Hudl for almost anyone unless they have very specific requirements. Its definitely WAY better vfm than anything from Apple or Samsung.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    So, er, what is wrong with the Hudl? Its virtually a stock Android tablet that happens to be almost as fast as the current Nexus 7, with a usefully high resolution screen and is quite amazingly priced.

I'd happily suggest the Hudl for almost anyone unless they have very specific requirements. Its definitely WAY better vfm than anything from Apple or Samsung.

That depends how much money you have and what you value. I'd rather have an ipad air than a hudl.
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

I don't think I have specific requirements as such but the Hudl is not for me as I want a full HD screen. It is a good tablet at the cheaper end but I think if you are going to use a tablet a lot then you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something better.
  • puppydog101puppydog101 Posts: 18
    Forum Member

I have a Hudl Its a great value tablet just read the reviews for it on their site.
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    I don't think I have specific requirements as such but the Hudl is not for me as I want a full HD screen. It is a good tablet at the cheaper end but I think if you are going to use a tablet a lot then you would be better off paying a bit more and getting something better.
    I really do not understand why people rate a full HD screen so highly.This is a 7 inch screen.
    I have a 42 inch LED tv with a resolution of 1920×1080 and the picture is superb, but it is 6 times larger than the Hudl!
    My laptop has a resolution of 1366 x 768 on a 15 inch screen and the display is excellent.
    People are getting carried away by numbers!
    Screen brightness and contrast is much more important
    By the way my tablet is the Nexus 10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really do not understand why people rate a full HD screen so highly.This is a 7 inch screen.
    I have a 42 inch LED tv with a resolution of 1920×1080 and the picture is superb, but it is 6 times larger than the Hudl!
    My laptop has a resolution of 1366 x 768 on a 15 inch screen and the display is excellent.

For me, I want to not be able to see individual pixels. For example, the difference between my original ipad and the ipad 3 was staggering. thats what I look for in a tablet.

but i agree, theres more to it... colour reproduction, contrast, viewing angles are all equally as important.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do not understand why people rate a full HD screen so highly....
    These are tablets. The more you can cram on the screen the less likely gorilla arm etc will develop.
    Once that tablet bubble has burst, health warnings will surely follow.

BTW, Clubcard vouchers are the main reason for the popularity. Many see it as a good all round spec £60 tablet. But one that still justifies a £120 price.
  • BunionsBunions Posts: 15,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    These are tablets. The more you can cram on the screen the less likely gorilla arm etc will develop.
    Once that tablet bubble has burst, health warnings will surely follow.

BTW, Clubcard vouchers are the main reason for the popularity. Many see it as a good all round spec £60 tablet. But one that still justifies a £120 price.
    Well I didn't as I'm not a Tesco customer so I didn't have any vouchers but still thought it was a great little tablet at the price.

I'm sure I'm not alone either and surely you are speculating about the 'main reason for the popularity' because AFAIK, Tesco haven't released any figures regarding how many were bought by customers using Clubcard vouchers.
  • LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spec 60 quid tablet....lol ...a spec 60 quid tablet is not what the hudl is....just lol, all the people slagging them off obviously dont own one, I have a spec 60 quid china tablet and it is a pile of dog doo dah.
    Forum Member

Hi have a 42" TV Full HD TV as well with a superb picture but I don't sit a few inches away from the screen. If I did I would notice the pixelation and that's not something I want to see on a Tablet which I do use a lot closer than a TV screen.

My wife has a laptop that as that same resolution and neither of us like it compared to higher resolution screens.

Brightness, contrast and general screen colour are of course also very important but I always find lower res screens to let the side down and even on a 7" tablet would not want any less than full HD

It's not about numbers - it's about what I can see and what I don't want to see (pixes)
  • ssrssr Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    alan1302 wrote: »
    It's not about numbers - it's about what I can see and what I don't want to see (pixes)

Should that be PIXIES?
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...even the 2012 Nexus 7 is likely a better all round device....I'd even go as far as saying that the Nook HD is a better bet as well....
    I have the 7 HD and would probably rather have the 7 Hudl.
    Whilst you can get it to link up a standard GPS protocol Bluetooth GPS or probably get it GPS tethered to a smartphone, there is no standard HDMI on the HD.

From what I gather, the HD and HD+ are still in production. Maybe because the main expense, the screen cost got renegotiated to reflect market prices. Its a shame it still gets near zero media publicity, now being less restricted than the Fire.
    Forum Member
    Should that be PIXIES?

Yes, little Pixies are always required! LOL :D

Should have said pixels!
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bought one last week and very pleased with it - except my wife has claimed it.

The HDMI connection makes my TV into a smart TV so that's a great benefit.

The screen is fine.

Android 4.2 is what I have on my phone so no learning curve.

BUT ...

I just phoned the support line in Germany. My German was better than his English but we managed to communicate ;-)

The guaranty is two years according to Trekstor (Lidl UK said one year) I have just discovered unlike the usual three years in Lidl and Aldi. The Aldi tablet is not as good spec as the Lidl one but has a three year guaranty.

This is specially important as the battery is built in and it cannot be replaced. So eventually it will fail to recharge.

I usually avoid gadjets with built in non-replaceable batteries.

Trekstor said that the battery would last for 5 years. I hope so.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually avoid gadjets with built in non-replaceable batteries.

Trekstor said that the battery would last for 5 years. I hope so.

Are there any tablets with user replaceable batteries? If they exist, they're rare. No mainstream tablet has that option.

And no way will the battery last for 5 years. 2 or 3 years tops, assuming its from a reputable manufacturer ... which it probably isn't.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any tablets with user replaceable batteries? If they exist, they're rare. No mainstream tablet has that option.

And no way will the battery last for 5 years. 2 or 3 years tops, assuming its from a reputable manufacturer ... which it probably isn't.

I have been using Lidl and Aldi IT products for 10 years and have been delighted with the quality and service levels. Being German they take quality very seriously.

Last month I bought a 5.5" phone which came with two changeable batteries. Not much smaller than a 7" tablet.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1750260&page=10

I get really annoyed when the battery fails before the gadjet on things like razors and speakers.

Well I will not be buying a tablet for myself (the Lidl one has been nicked by my wife) until I can find one with a replaceable battery. Really pointless and annoying built in failure for little advantage to the manufacturer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I note that there is a 2 year guarantee on the Lidl Trekstor but to extend the guaranty on the Tesco Hudl costs £29.99.