Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 11)

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,690
    Forum Member
    BB Final really flat and unexciting. UBB can't start soon enough!
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I am assuming that the reaction to the BBC scheduling extra EastEnders clashing with Corrie will be the same here as it would be if ITV scheduled extra Corrie opposite EastEnders.
    I don't think five or six extra minutes will make much difference. :D
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    I don't think five or six extra minutes will make much difference. :D
    It will to the ITV/Corrie lot:p
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter note - #bb11 had 0.57% peak tweets on Friday, its currently on about 0.72% for the 8pm hour. Launch had ~1.5%.... suggests possible 8pm hour figure in the 3.5 million range.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SCRIPTED SERIES WITH >1.0 A18-49 RATINGS
    01. True Blood (HBO) – 5.39m (3.0)
    02. Covert Affairs (USA) – 5.36m (1.8)
    03. Burn Notice (USA) – 5.50m (1.5)
    04. Royal Pains (USA) – 5.27m (1.5)
    05. White Collar (USA) – 4.48m (1.5)
    06. Entourage (HBO) – 2.65m (1.5)
    07. Psych (USA) – 4.11m (1.4)
    08. Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) – 6.49m (1.3)
    09. Army Wives (LIFE) – 3.91m (1.3)
    10. Hung (HBO) – 2.41m (1.3)
    11. The Closer (TNT) – 6.82m (1.2)
    12. Hawthorne (TNT) – 3.80m (1.1)
    13. Secret Life Of The American Teenager (ABCF) – 2.83m (1.1)
    14. Leverage (TNT) – 3.37m (1.0)
    15. The Glades (A&E) – 3.32m (1.0)
    16. Melissa & Joey (ABCF) – 2.15m (1.0)

USA dominated the top 10 with 5 series featuring though they all trail HBO’s True Blood by a huge margin. TNT’s drama offerings tend to skew older so while they outperform USA’s series in total viewers they lose out in the key ad demo.

UNSCRIPTED SERIES WITH >1.0 A18-49 RATINGS
    01. Jersey Shore (MTV) – 5.50m (2.8)
    02. Keeping Up With The Kardashians (E) – 4.68m (2.5)
    03. Pawn Stars (HIST) – 6.24m (2.3)
    04. NFL Preseason (ESPN) – 5.61m (2.3)
    05. Pawn Stars (HIST) – 6.08m (2.2)
    06. Teen Mom (MTV) – 3.50m (1.9)
    07. American Pickers (HIST) – 5.20m (1.7)
    08. WWE Raw (USA) – 4.92m (1.7)
    09. Swamp People (HIST) – 4.23m (1.7)
    10. WWE Raw (USA) – 4.62m (1.6)
    11. Project Runway (LIFE) – 3.44m (1.4)
    12. Tosh.O (COMC) – 2.41m (1.4)
    13. Ice Road Truckers (HIST) – 3.50m (1.3)
    14. Real Housewives of New Jersey (BRAVO) – 2.59m (1.3)
    15. American Chopper (TLC) – 2.56m (1.3)
    16. Spin Crowd (E) – 2.35m (1.3)
    17. Top Chef (BRAVO) – 2.57m (1.2)
    18. Real World: Back To New Orleans (MTV) – 1.99m (1.1)

History & MTV both had 3 unique entries (History’s Pawn Stars featured for 2 episodes). E and Bravo had 2 a piece while ESPN, USA, TLC, Bravo, Comedy Central and Lifetime all had one entry.

Top 25 By Total Viewers

Overall Cable Rankings

Note - Adults 18-49 ratings aren't of any huge importance to HBO. They do generally mean better international sales, syndication rights and DVD sales, however. Some other cable networks have more specific target audiences as well.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am assuming that the reaction to the BBC scheduling extra EastEnders clashing with Corrie will be the same here as it would be if ITV scheduled extra Corrie opposite EastEnders.

I remember a lot of fuss coming from certain quarters when ITV scheduled BGT opposite EE for a week.
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders is clashing by 10mins if that
    BGT clashed against the whole of EastEnders all week

Big differance.

I think the BBC should have held this episode on to Thursday 9th Dec 7:45pm-8:45pm:D

ITV1 could fight back on the Friday with
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.30 Paul O'Grady Preview
    7.40 Corrie
    8.10 Tonight
    8.40 Corrie
    9.10 Paul O' Grady
    10.00 News

Charnham wrote: »
    I assume something big is happening to Peggy that day, if not the explosion itself, possibly the aftermath.
    Well the Explotion starts on
    Thursday 9th(likely tobe towards the end)
    The explosion is Friday with Peggys exit and the aftermath carry's through to the following monday:)

This is starting to sound very like Meg Mortimer's departure from Crossroads in 1981.:D (for those of you old enough to remember that.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that will help Big Brother is the lack of adverts so far, last year we had 3 ad breaks in 30 minutes... we should be just finishing the 6th ad break, yet we're only just starting the 5th ad break - meaning this could help the overnights. Notably, no break at 9pm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.40 Corrie
    8.10 Tonight
    8.40 Corrie
    9.10 Paul O' Grady
    10.00 News

This is starting to sound very like Meg Mortimer's departure from Crossroads in 1981.:D (for those of you old enough to remember that.)
    They could but there will be no point The Explosion/collapse and peggys exit will no doubt bring in alot of casual viewers like EastEnders usually does with Massive storylines and being promoted aswell.

No Not old enough to remember 1981
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,280
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    SCRIPTED SERIES WITH >1.0 A18-49 RATINGS
    01. True Blood (HBO) – 5.39m (3.0)
    02. Covert Affairs (USA) – 5.36m (1.8)
    03. Burn Notice (USA) – 5.50m (1.5)
    04. Royal Pains (USA) – 5.27m (1.5)
    05. White Collar (USA) – 4.48m (1.5)
    06. Entourage (HBO) – 2.65m (1.5)
    07. Psych (USA) – 4.11m (1.4)
    08. Rizzoli & Isles (TNT) – 6.49m (1.3)
    09. Army Wives (LIFE) – 3.91m (1.3)
    10. Hung (HBO) – 2.41m (1.3)
    11. The Closer (TNT) – 6.82m (1.2)
    12. Hawthorne (TNT) – 3.80m (1.1)
    13. Secret Life Of The American Teenager (ABCF) – 2.83m (1.1)
    14. Leverage (TNT) – 3.37m (1.0)
    15. The Glades (A&E) – 3.32m (1.0)
    16. Melissa & Joey (ABCF) – 2.15m (1.0)

USA dominated the top 10 with 5 series featuring though they all trail HBO’s True Blood by a huge margin. TNT’s drama offerings tend to skew older so while they outperform USA’s series in total viewers they lose out in the key ad demo.

UNSCRIPTED SERIES WITH >1.0 A18-49 RATINGS
    01. Jersey Shore (MTV) – 5.50m (2.8)
    02. Keeping Up With The Kardashians (E) – 4.68m (2.5)
    03. Pawn Stars (HIST) – 6.24m (2.3)
    04. NFL Preseason (ESPN) – 5.61m (2.3)
    05. Pawn Stars (HIST) – 6.08m (2.2)
    06. Teen Mom (MTV) – 3.50m (1.9)
    07. American Pickers (HIST) – 5.20m (1.7)
    08. WWE Raw (USA) – 4.92m (1.7)
    09. Swamp People (HIST) – 4.23m (1.7)
    10. WWE Raw (USA) – 4.62m (1.6)
    11. Project Runway (LIFE) – 3.44m (1.4)
    12. Tosh.O (COMC) – 2.41m (1.4)
    13. Ice Road Truckers (HIST) – 3.50m (1.3)
    14. Real Housewives of New Jersey (BRAVO) – 2.59m (1.3)
    15. American Chopper (TLC) – 2.56m (1.3)
    16. Spin Crowd (E) – 2.35m (1.3)
    17. Top Chef (BRAVO) – 2.57m (1.2)
    18. Real World: Back To New Orleans (MTV) – 1.99m (1.1)

History & MTV both had 3 unique entries (History’s Pawn Stars featured for 2 episodes). E and Bravo had 2 a piece while ESPN, USA, TLC, Bravo, Comedy Central and Lifetime all had one entry.

Top 25 By Total Viewers

Overall Cable Rankings

Note - Adults 18-49 ratings aren't of any huge importance to HBO. They do generally mean better international sales, syndication rights and DVD sales, however. Some other cable networks have more specific target audiences as well.

Project Runway may be set for a comeback in terms of ratings. After two seasons of slump (season 6 was decent, season 7 suffered most), season 8 so far has been growing week-by-week. If that keeps up, we could be seeing 4-5 million mark - which they had back in Bravo days (season 3, 4 and 5). They still have a long way to go though. Canceling Models of the Runway was not a bad idea after all.

Kudos to the Kardashians for making more records and more money for E!. According to EW, it is their highest premiere and second highest rated episode ever (first being season 4 finale). What is more surprising is that they came second only to True Blood on Sunday night, narrowly beating Hannah Montana on Disney (http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/08/24/sunday-cable-ratings-true-blood-mad-men-rubicon-kardashians-and-more/60938). The Spin Crowd also did well. It's a far cry from three years ago when they had that s&*t "The Simple Life".

2010 is also the year for The Closer (TNT) and Rizzoli and Isles (TNT). With 6 million viewers every week and dominating the Top 2 in cable, that is truly amazing. Same can be said for Burn Notice, Royal Pains, White Collar and Psych (All USA) - also grabbing terrific ratings. The question now is will Kyra Sedgwick (The Closer) win the Emmy on Sunday for Lead Drama Actress? She could pull a surprise (although it won't be much of a surprise), but it looks certain that Julianne Margulies (The Good Wife) will win. Unless Glenn Close (Damages) wins again.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iaindb wrote: »
    7.00 Emmerdale
    7.40 Corrie
    8.10 Tonight
    8.40 Corrie
    9.10 Paul O' Grady
    10.00 News)
    A shortened show for Paul O'Grady? Surely that's not going to happen until two or three weeks later. ;)
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    BB Final really flat and unexciting. UBB can't start soon enough!

I think Channel 4 is going through the motions and can't wait to be rid of it. UBB, I think, will be more for the hardcore fans who have stuck with it all the way through, as casual viewers probably won't remember who came sixth in BB3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, right...

20:00 to 22:00 - Big Brother Final
    22:00 to 22:50 - Ultimate Big Brother Launch
  • Options
    derek500derek500 Posts: 24,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    One thing that will help Big Brother is the lack of adverts so far, last year we had 3 ad breaks in 30 minutes... we should be just finishing the 6th ad break, yet we're only just starting the 5th ad break - meaning this could help the overnights. Notably, no break at 9pm.

They're only allowed eight breaks in the 2h 50m time slot.

When you posted this, 5th break should have been about right.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    for all ive saifd about Kirkwood, he does not seem to be damaging the EE ratings, and is still giving us "event" episodes, however Peggys exit was always going to be an event no matter who was in chrage.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I expect shows Like Hollyoaks and EastEnders will be lower tonight seeing as it was resualts day

I wonder if Big Brother might be dented by this as well? Bad scheduling by Channel 4?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    for all ive saifd about Kirkwood, he does not seem to be damaging the EE ratings, and is still giving us "event" episodes, however Peggys exit was always going to be an event no matter who was in chrage.
    I've noticed Kirkwood has added alittle comedy/lighter moments into the episodes
    and there seems to be alot of referance to the past.
    Hopefully Kirkood will make this storyline unmissable and i guess it could reach 12million if done right
    I wonder if Big Brother might be dented by this as well? Bad scheduling by Channel 4?
    I forgot about BB yeah i guess it could be dented and is nolonger an 'event' and people would have been less likely to stay in for it
    Said that BB has had alot of News and Media promotion aswell as Shows Like The one show and The micheal Ball show giving it abit of promotion
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,769
    Forum Member
    BB is a difficult one to predict. Lots of different factors to consider but it should peak quite high. Im pretty sure the last hour will see a lot of former fans of the show, such as me, tune back in for UBB.

Also, I think Tuesday was a good day for the final as it keeps more viewers for the next show rather than the usual lower Saturday showing.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big Brother picked up a lot of buzz tonight on Facebook and Twitter, although it wasn't until around the end of the BB final/start of UBB. The figures are going to be very interesting but I predict something like

8-9pm- 2.9m
    9-10pm- 3.5m
    10-10.50pm- 4.1m (peaking at 5m at around 10.30pm)

Overall average- 3.6m

I hope someone posts the breakdown in the morning, that will give us the best indication how UBB will do.

They were also very clever having Davina plug a task tonight, who it will be, the eviction on Friday and 2 more entering.
  • Options
    C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    8 of the 10 that they put in tonight are from 2000-2006. For reasons unknown, they took 2 from Celebrity Big Brother 2009 which was one of the worst series ever. None from CBB5, CBB7, BB8, BB9 or BB10.

They've got the "series defining" characters from BB1, BB2, BB5, BB6 and BB7 as well as CBB4 and you could maybe argue CBB3 (or was that "yeah, Jackie"?). The notable omission is BB3 but that's perhaps because they don't have Jade anymore.

I think it's clear that they're going for nostalgia, whether it works is another thing. There's certainly more chance of national media coverage for people like Nasty Nick.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ratings are going to be interesting, hopefully we're lucky enough to get a 5 minute or 15 minute breakdown in the morning.

Just bad news for Channel 4 that the final ever show will clash with EastEnders and New Tricks then on September 10th, because the latter will slaughter Big Brother.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C14E wrote: »
    8 of the 10 that they put in tonight are from 2000-2006. For reasons unknown, they took 2 from Celebrity Big Brother 2009 which was one of the worst series ever. None from BB8, BB9 or BB10.

They've got the "series defining" characters from BB1, BB2, BB5, BB6 and BB7 as well as CBB4 and you could maybe argue CBB3 (or was that "yeah, Jackie"?). The notable omission is BB3 but that's perhaps because they don't have Jade anymore.

I think it's clear that they're going for nostalgia, whether it works is another thing. There's certainly more chance of national media coverage for people like Nasty Nick.

Well the other 'leaked' line ups included Mikey from BB9 and Siavash from BB10. Ask a person on the street who any of them are and they'll have no idea. Ask them who Brian, Nikki, Nadia etc are and they'll probably know straight away. They're going for headlines and nostalgia as you say. Ulrika is also tabloid fodder, there is absolutely no reason why she is in there at all whilst Coolio obviously has a bit of wider appeal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The ratings are going to be interesting, hopefully we're lucky enough to get a 5 minute or 15 minute breakdown in the morning.

Just bad news for Channel 4 that the final ever show will clash with EastEnders and New Tricks then on September 10th, because the latter will slaughter Big Brother.

The first show always does go up against Eastenders and generally rates as well as a regular eviction show- its the 10pm show that attracts the viewers. Its normally 8-9pm then 10-11pm.
  • Options
    LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was a bit of a mess. I didn't think there was any need for so many housemates from CBB. It's lost a lot of the appeal it had because of it IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Desert Rat wrote: »
    The first show always does go up against Eastenders and generally rates as well as a regular eviction show- its the 10pm show that attracts the viewers. Its normally 8-9pm then 10-11pm.
    Yeah but Eastenders have a massive storyline and an exit to one of soaps most Iconic faces on 10th sept
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Why Ulrika? :confused:

Still, I reckon Chantelle and Preston was a masterstroke. Good for getting the papers talking.
This discussion has been closed.