Mad Men.

Comments

• tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the short romp that Alison and Don had on his couch an example of a new brand of fast-coupling that he has developed to suit any/every situation?;

1. Brand
    McShag

2. Positioning
    The quick form of coupling when time is short

3. Proposition
    Try our drive through where all you have to do is make some subtle adjustment to clothing and get your Maccy Don's moment without disrupting your busy day.

4. Creative
    Visual - Picture of Campbell and Peggy in their McShag moment in Series 1 at 7.00am one morning on his office couch. Add in both of them reading files over the other's shoulders as if they are still working.

Headline - When there's just no time even to undress.

5. Media
    Life Magazine - twist arm of Peggy's new friend two floors above to persuade the Picture Editor to include the ad (as Art, of course)

6. Brand issues
    Maybe the brand rationale is false? Could Don just be getting too drunk and too bored to be bothering with all that 4, or 3 play?

7. Actions
    If yes to 6, create brand review committee. Alison to take minutes and organise therapy with NY shrink for Don.

PS Think I need to drag myself kicking and screaming out of the Mad men world and back into the real one:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    duffle wrote: »
    It's funny that a lot of people complaining about the advert breaks in Mad men when it switches to Sky when it's a show about advertising ! Don would not be a happy guy (not that he ever is)

Good observation! :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diary_room wrote: »
    Good observation! :)

It's not the end of the world and if we really want to watch it we will. Does anyone know if their are more series planned after series 5?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps if the BBC hadn't spent so much on football, they'd be able to hang on to high quality drama...
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    JohnBauer wrote: »
    It's not the end of the world and if we really want to watch it we will. Does anyone know if their are more series planned after series 5?

There is no plan at all. The owner of the show is Lions Gate, and they have refused to give the show's creator and producer Matt Weiner an "end date" that he can work toward, despite his requesting one. Like nearly all American shows, the series will continue till it is clear every last penny has been squeezed out of it.
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    There is no plan at all. The owner of the show is Lions Gate, and they have refused to give the show's creator and producer Matt Weiner an "end date" that he can work toward, despite his requesting one. Like nearly all American shows, the series will continue till it is clear every last penny has been squeezed out of it.

Weiner said some months ago that there would be only 6 seasons

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/men_finale_ti6p3X3JmK4hd8vJI47STO
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Weiner said some months ago that there would be only 6 seasons

http://www.nypost.com/p/entertainment/tv/men_finale_ti6p3X3JmK4hd8vJI47STO

Yes, I was aware of Weiner's wishes, but Lionsgate has pretty much told him they don't care. The story you linked to is from April. More recently a Lionsgate spokesman said they are looking forward to Mad Men being on TV "for many years to come."

Do you watch Supernatural? The creator of that show said for years it would end after five seasons because he had a five-season arc in mind for the show. Well, here we are in season 6 now and Kripke is no longer in charge of the show. Kripke may have had a timetable, but that is irrelevant to the network, and Kripke has walked away. The network is not shutting down a money-maker till it stops making money.
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I was aware of Weiner's wishes, but Lionsgate has pretty much told him they don't care. The story you linked to is from April. More recently a Lionsgate spokesman said they are looking forward to Mad Men being on TV "for many years to come."

Do you watch Supernatural? The creator of that show said for years it would end after five seasons because he had a five-season arc in mind for the show. Well, here we are in season 6 now and Kripke is no longer in charge of the show. Kripke may have had a timetable, but that is irrelevant to the network, and Kripke has walked away. The network is not shutting down a money-maker till it stops making money.

This may be true on one level, but it is a little more complicated than that ...

AMC may want to keep Mad Men going but the reality is that it's not a massive cash cow like The Simpsons or Law & Order. It broadcasts 13 episodes a year and its cast, not least John Hamm, are doing an increasing amount of movie work. They will not be under contract to Mad Men forever and will at some point want to move on - and AMC won't be able to stop them.

It's also not in AMC's interest to be overly draconian with Matt Weiner. He's the person who created the show that's massively raised their profile and p*ssing him off would be a pretty stupid thing to do. It would send out a bad signal to the creative community, particularly those people AMC may want to wrestle away from HBO. The smart move would be to agree to let Mad Men end when he wants it, in return for a new project that can take its place.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniecatz wrote: »
    Perhaps if the BBC hadn't spent so much on football, they'd be able to hang on to high quality drama...

I think you may be confusing the BBC with ITV here. It's ITV that blew so much of its budget on football that it had to start axing other shows.
    Forum Member
    AMC may want to keep Mad Men going but the reality is that it's not a massive cash cow like The Simpsons or Law & Order. It broadcasts 13 episodes a year and its cast, not least John Hamm, are doing an increasing amount of movie work. They will not be under contract to Mad Men forever and will at some point want to move on - and AMC won't be able to stop them.

The problem here is that you are talking about the cable channel when it is the production company Lionsgate that owns the show and is determined to keep it going. In fact, AMC's contract for Mad Men expires after season 5. Lionsgate is already threatening to shop Mad Men around to other American channels after season 5 if AMC doesn't come up with more money. I know that Lionsgate has a very strong relationship with Showtime. (They make both Weeds and Nurse Jackie for Showtime.)
    It's also not in AMC's interest to be overly draconian with Matt Weiner. He's the person who created the show that's massively raised their profile and p*ssing him off would be a pretty stupid thing to do. It would send out a bad signal to the creative community, particularly those people AMC may want to wrestle away from HBO. The smart move would be to agree to let Mad Men end when he wants it, in return for a new project that can take its place.

And again, it is Lionsgate rather than AMC that deals with Weiner on any business matters, as opposed to creative issues with the show. Weiner and Lionsgate have already had battles over how much he gets paid, with Weiner threatening to quit his own show over salary issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    fodg09 wrote: »
    It's going to be shown on a new channel dedicated to 'high quality' drama, mostly from the U.S, Sky Atlantic.

I read the press release and it mentioned Sky Atlantic HD - so does anyone know if it's going to be an HD-only channel? I have Sky but don't have an HD television and don't really want to buy one just so I can watch Mad Men :mad:
  • TiffanyThorneTiffanyThorne Posts: 960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope it will come as two channels, one HD and one non-Hd.I also hope the channel will be available to non-Sky customers. We're on Virgin. When we couldn't get the Sky channels I really missed seeing the Simpsons, even the repeats we've seen hundreds of times.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me after Sky got 24 and Lost I stopped watching. I suppose this new Sky US Atlantic channel will not be available for a price on freeview?

I'm much the same. I think the only series I have continued watching (via DVD box sets) that Sky have poached from terrestrial tv is House. I bought season 5 and will probably buy season 6 DVDs next week.

Would I buy the box set of the next series of Mad men. Much as I like the show that's only a possibility. I certainly won't be subscribing to Sky to watch it and if Sky think they will make money long term out of buying up every single decent American drama they've got another thing coming!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem here is that you are talking about the cable channel when it is the production company Lionsgate that owns the show and is determined to keep it going. In fact, AMC's contract for Mad Men expires after season 5. Lionsgate is already threatening to shop Mad Men around to other American channels after season 5 if AMC doesn't come up with more money. I know that Lionsgate has a very strong relationship with Showtime. (They make both Weeds and Nurse Jackie for Showtime.)

And again, it is Lionsgate rather than AMC that deals with Weiner on any business matters, as opposed to creative issues with the show. Weiner and Lionsgate have already had battles over how much he gets paid, with Weiner threatening to quit his own show over salary issues.

I appreciate all the points you are making and are quite right - but my argument still stands to a certain extent. John Hamm is under option to Mad Men for a limited period of time and for him to do more will involve Lionsgate paying him significantly more money than he gets now. And I can't really see Mad Men without him. Indeed, the same applies for all the core cast.

Lionsgate may want to be as bullish as they like, but the competition between AMC, HBO, Showtime and now Starz is becoming increasingly intense, and p*ssing off creative geniuses like MW won't do them any favours.
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    I appreciate all the points you are making and are quite right - but my argument still stands to a certain extent. John Hamm is under option to Mad Men for a limited period of time and for him to do more will involve Lionsgate paying him significantly more money than he gets now. And I can't really see Mad Men without him. Indeed, the same applies for all the core cast.

Sure, and I do get that point -- that the cast will eventually either want to leave or will demand too much money. But we don't know when that point will be reached yet, and we certainly don't know how much money for Hamm Lionsgate considers "too much." So no, the show won't stay on forever, but right now Lionsgate seems to want it to stay on longer than Weiner and it is really Lionsgate's call, not Weiner's. That's all I'm saying.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too often, sensational stars from drama series forget how much they owe to the "setting" - a bit like singers from bands going solo and finding it cold out there.

Just don't ask me for any examples, but I'm sure you non-gaga fans will think of plenty :p

parthena
  • miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm much the same. I think the only series I have continued watching (via DVD box sets) that Sky have poached from terrestrial tv is House. I bought season 5 and will probably buy season 6 DVDs next week.

Would I buy the box set of the next series of Mad men. Much as I like the show that's only a possibility. I certainly won't be subscribing to Sky to watch it and if Sky think they will make money long term out of buying up every single decent American drama they've got another thing coming!

I am not a DVD box set type person, I like having a week between episodes as it gives me time to digest what I have watched - er kind of!! :o We have Virgin Media so have no idea if we will get this new channel. I would prefer to have the option to watch it online if possible, even if I had to pay a small fee.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am a sky HD customer, not too fussed about who shows it as long as it's in HD, and the ads always get skipped over anyway with skyplus :)

I have been waiting to start this season, I have them all sitiing on my planner as I like to watch eps back to back. Pouring with rain and horrible outside, plus my OH is working away so tonight seems like the perfect night to open a bottle of wine and get lost in Mad Men land...............bliss! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not too fussed about who shows it as long as it's in HD

I have an HD STB - but I'm choosing to watch MM on Topfield SD PVR because the sound on HD is so weak and lacks the quality that is essential to soak up the sound of those voices. I've got a soundbar+sub that really beefs up my plasma's sound but it can't compensate for HD's shortcomings.

I don't think it's just my STB that's at fault, I've noticed some users of the new HD PVRs remark the same.

Fortunately my TV is a great upscaler, I really don't feel deprived watching MM in SD.

parthena
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sure, and I do get that point -- that the cast will eventually either want to leave or will demand too much money. But we don't know when that point will be reached yet, and we certainly don't know how much money for Hamm Lionsgate considers "too much." So no, the show won't stay on forever, but right now Lionsgate seems to want it to stay on longer than Weiner and it is really Lionsgate's call, not Weiner's. That's all I'm saying.

It won't be the same show without Weiner at the helm
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant Mad Men tonight! One of the best of the series so far.

Loved the Don/Pete/Bert vs Roger and Pete laying down the law to Roger in his office. Fantastic scene! Nice to see Betty back, wondered where she'd disappeared to! We've hardly seen her at all this season and we're only 5 episodes in. She's still a bitch! Lol.

Sally Draper storyline just got more darker and i wonder where it's now heading as we saw the door shut behind her in the psychiatrist's office.

I have to say watching this tonight i felt a tinge of sadness knowing that this will be the last time i'll see Mad Men on BBC4. So not fair!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Edna looks like she's got Betty taped from the get-go, and I feel that Sally will be in good hands. I'm trying to resist looking on IMdB to see how frequently and for how long Dr Edna is featured, she could be pivotal in Betty's development. Wishful thinking? ;)

The scene when Betty was in Dr Edna's office made me wonder about the pressure they're under during filming - Betty's pearl necklace slightly changing its drape, at one stage the right-hand strands even disappearing under the faux collar during "I feel like Sally did this to punish me somehow for everything"... how many takes were stitched together for that scene?

I was riveted by the whole scene. Next best was a quickie of Peggy scooting around a studio :p

Then there was Pete's air of authority in speaking for Lane as well as himself, with "We're thanking you".

All brilliant, and the (uninterrupted, you don't get that on HD) truly dulcet tones of Doris Day to finish - how I hate myself for not appreciating her at the time, except as a cookie and/or prissy American actress with a stiff blonde wig :(

parthena
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe Betty has turned into such a bitch...she was always uptight, but she seems to have got really bitter since the divorce, even though it was her who went off with another man and instigated it all!

I think part of the problem with her is that she does feel some shame about what happened...I suppose back then divorce wasn't that common and although she has remarried, there's still the stigma of it being her second marriage. Hence the comment to Don on the phone, saying "at least I'm married", trying to reassure herself that she's not like him because she's married the man she's sleeping with.

Thought the psychiatrist was very clever in getting Betty to come and see her...obviously she needs a lot of help as well as Sally...feel really sorry for Sally, she is obviously one messed-up kid...at least Betty realised the problems started when her grandfather died and not just because of the divorce. I don't know why, but if I think about what Sally would be like today as a 50-something, I imagine somebody who has probably been married three times and with a drink problem! :D

I thought that Pete was quite insensitive to Roger's feelings about them taking on the Honda account, although I did love it when Roger went to chase after him and Pete ran out of the office! :D Again, I suppose back then there was a lot of ill feeling from a lot of people who had fought in WWII against the Japanese and it didn't matter that it was 20 years ago, they still had a lot of bad memories.

On a lighter note, I loved the bit where Peggy was riding the scooter around the studio...and the bit where the men from Honda were ogling Joan's chest and being really blatant about it...she didn't need an interpreter to know what they were talking about then! :D
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't it all fantastic?

Brilliant writing with all Betsy's stuff churning around in her parenting of Sally - thought the slap was brutal (My Mom was trying to make me grow my hair).

At least Sally will get someone who will talk to her, listen to her and get her needs out front from her perspective, instead of dominating them becasue of other agendas conscious and sub conscious.

Almost on Don's side with the 'hair' incident until I remembered he'd gone on a date on one of the few evenings the kids were there with him.

Followed by 'And when ther're gone, then I miss them' (Sad look on face). Well stay home when they are there!!!!!

(Have to keep telling myself - THis is a STORY. these people aren't REAL. Don't get so INVOLVED:D)
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was interesting to see one of the early episodes of NCIS briefly - I didn't realise it had been going quite that long.
    A continuation of the theme from an episode a few years ago, when Gibbs was asked what Ducky looked like when he was young and replied that he looked like Illya Kuryakin.
This discussion has been closed.