Options

Taxes, customs etc..when importing a Christmas present from America

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Could anyone advise either how much or what the procedure is for importing goods from America?

I've seen a lovely christmas present for my little girl on a (well known) American website/store. I can't find the same item over here for anywhere near the same price and even then they seem to be like hen's teeth. I've worked out using a currency calculator that it will cost me £62 total including international shipping but it does warn me that this amount does not include any duties, excise etc...

Obviously I'm presuming VAT but I don't have a clue what else as I've never done this before. Also, I not familiar with the procedure as to how/who I pay, is it on arrival or to Royal Mail or whatever.

The same item is available here on Amazon for £179 total so I'm hoping I will save quite a few pennies by importing it but you never know :D

Anyone help? thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depending on the nature of the product you may be charged import duty of 5% plus VAT currenty at 17.5% on top of the lot.

Whoever handles this eg Royal Mail may also add a small handling charge, and you will need to pay them when you get the goods.

So it still looks like a good price!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keefy-boy wrote: »
    Depending on the nature of the product you may be charged import duty of 5% plus VAT currenty at 17.5% on top of the lot.

Whoever handles this eg Royal Mail may also add a small handling charge, and you will need to pay them when you get the goods.

Great, thanks. That's a relief, I was imagining allsorts :D

It's a doll's house btw. What a rip off the Amazon one must be!
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there are different import tarriffs on different products. Look on HMRC website. www.hmrc.gov.uk I think. That will tell you how to declare imports also.

The maximum for no duties is £18, I think. I never import DVDs etc above this price. In theory, customs can charge for anything above £18.

Thats why play.com, hmv.com etc put the value on the outside. Customs can open any package they want to.

Customs may not bother charging you at all - but they can.
  • Options
    Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Keefy-boy wrote: »

It's not a small charge added by the Royal Mail, I'm afraid. The last time I imported something from the US the RM added on about £9 as an admin fee!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there are different import tarriffs on different products. Look on HMRC website. www.hmrc.gov.uk I think. That will tell you how to declare imports also.

The maximum for no duties is £18, I think. I never import DVDs etc above this price. In theory, customs can charge for anything above £18.

Thats why play.com, hmv.com etc put the value on the outside. Customs can open any package they want to.

Customs may not bother charging you at all - but they can.

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Edit. The link would seem to suggest that these days you don't pay any customs duty on anything under £105 so that's brilliant. Thanks again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    £8 royal mail admin fee. More than the vat and duty last time I ordered from USA :sleep: