"In the Flesh" BBC Zombie Drama Starts 17th March on BBC Three

starts 17th March at 22:00 on BBC Three

Set after a zombie uprising, treated zombies are rehabilitated back into society.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00szzcm

Trailer - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p015w4t3

looks interesting

Comments

• Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems to share some similarities to the film FIDO as well as the failed 2007 TV pilot BABYLON FIELDS.

I'm going to keep my eye on this one. Look interesting enough.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think I'll bother. I am still relishing Being Human and don't want to contaminate it.
  • GoldeyfishGoldeyfish Posts: 670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does look really interesting ting...
    Seems to have a reasonable budget and level of production values..
    I loved being human!! allthough I have to admit the American version is better (better budget...production values...long term cast..and can learn from the mistakes of the original)

Shame on BBC3 for axing the fades..BAFTA winner
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the first episode, will be tuning in next week :)
  • jendejende Posts: 21,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was chatted more about on the main TV DS threads, though I suppose it really should be here.

I enjoyed it, looking forward to what's next.
  • Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Might give it a look tomorrow but I'll read some reviews first, since Zai commissioned it, I'm not very hopeful. Plus UK television has a habbit of shipping in a bunch of over-choreographed theatre school kids when ever Zombies are tackled, who look more like camp backing dancers than the undead.
    Goldeyfish wrote: »
    It does look really interesting ting...
    Seems to have a reasonable budget and level of production values..
    I loved being human!! allthough I have to admit the American version is better (better budget...production values...long term cast..and can learn from the mistakes of the original)

Shame on BBC3 for axing the fades..BAFTA winner

While nice, neither of the first two are anywhere near enough important to me to make a show itself, over all better, as a Doctor Who fan, to me they're just wrapping, my favourite series of the original is the first, which has vastly inferior production values even to the second.

Re: the third, the only long term cast member on the US version better than the original to me is Annie / Sally, I like the character of UK Annie more, but while Lenora did improve and pull it off when most necessary, Meaghan is, I have to admit, in my opinion, the more consistent actress, at least from what I've seen.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved being human!! although I have to admit the American version is better
    In YOUR opinion!
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks a lot more expensive and well populated than Being Human, The Fades or Misfits, all of which could have done with few more extras in the background.

Impressed so far.

For anyone wanting similar drama I can recommend the French drama series from a few months back "Les Revenants".

I'm surprised it's not been mentioned here as it is superb and already green lit for a second season. One for BBC Four to pick up on Saturday nights.
  • ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this last night and it's a fairly interesting premise, so I shall stick with it for a little while at least and see where it goes.

Not too surprised at the "twist" at the end with the HDF member's son being found in Afghanistan in zombie form though.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering when we would cash in on the huge success of The Walking Dead and have our own zombie show. Don't know whether i want to check it out, as the Zombie genre really doesn't interest me, I'll see if it gets renewed for a second series first.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was wondering when we would cash in on the huge success of The Walking Dead and have our own zombie show. Don't know whether i want to check it out, as the Zombie genre really doesn't interest me, I'll see if it gets renewed for a second series first.

I think it is to be taken as a 3 part drama rather than an on-going series (Though I wouldn't be surprised if it is left open-ended just in case they get a regular series out of it)

I would say, the zombies are more of an allegory and the story is of the fear of those that are different & the re-intergration of an outcast group/individual into society, be they mentally ill, immigrants, sex offenders or indeed zombies. Or 'people suffering from partial death syndrome' as would be more PC:D

Basically, if you like a good 3 part drama, don't let the zombie aspect put you off:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I would agree that this series is less a zombie mini-series, and more about the prejudice experienced by minority groups, especially those minority groups perceived as some sort of threat to "normal" people.

You only have to go back to the 1980s to see how the many people viewed those living with AIDS as being a danger to everyone else, thanks to widespread ignorance of the condition and sensationalist tabloid media reporting... if someone in the workplace has AIDS (or you suspect they might have and are keeping it secret), is it safe to touch anything they may have touched, whether it be a toilet seat, the photocopier, or a piece of paper they handled, let alone them actually coming near you!

Of course HIV/AIDS was nowhere near as contagious as many thought it might be, but if it were very contagious and many people had contracted it and died through casual contact in the 1980s and 90s, and that the available treatment for people living with it had now reached the stage it is now such that it is a condition that can be lived with indefinitely so long as the medication continues to be taken, would people living with HIV/AIDS today be viewed similarly to people living with PDS in the series? I'm sure most non-infected people would want to know if a person living with the condition lived anywhere nearby, and there would be some who would take the law into their own hands to eliminate the possibility of infection to them or their family.
  • Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I thought it was good.

Will definitely be watching again next week.
  • Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it a bit too dull. None of the characters are engaging, and it just felt like a bog-standard kitchen sink drama, but with a sort-of-but-not-quite zombie storyline tacked on.

It was basically Corrie with zombies. Except that would probably be more interesting.
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gill P wrote: »
    In YOUR opinion!

:rolleyes: Such an overused response. Of course it's THEIR opinion, who else's would it be?
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    I would agree that this series is less a zombie mini-series, and more about the prejudice experienced by minority groups, especially those minority groups perceived as some sort of threat to "normal" people.

You only have to go back to the 1980s to see how the many people viewed those living with AIDS as being a danger to everyone else, thanks to widespread ignorance of the condition and sensationalist tabloid media reporting... if someone in the workplace has AIDS (or you suspect they might have and are keeping it secret), is it safe to touch anything they may have touched, whether it be a toilet seat, the photocopier, or a piece of paper they handled, let alone them actually coming near you!

Of course HIV/AIDS was nowhere near as contagious as many thought it might be, but if it were very contagious and many people had contracted it and died through casual contact in the 1980s and 90s, and that the available treatment for people living with it had now reached the stage it is now such that it is a condition that can be lived with indefinitely so long as the medication continues to be taken, would people living with HIV/AIDS today be viewed similarly to people living with PDS in the series? I'm sure most non-infected people would want to know if a person living with the condition lived anywhere nearby, and there would be some who would take the law into their own hands to eliminate the possibility of infection to them or their family.

I think that's a very good parallel:) - though if pushed I think I would say mental health/care in the community was the best fit as in rare cases there can be an actual threat and after treatment, someone who caused harm while off meds would go back to the same community.

As an aside, would there be any merit in trying to get the threads merged? I'm finding it a bit hard to remember who said what in which thread:D

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1807899
  • SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am very impressed by it. Yes, it's not quite like the usual zombie genre (of course you get flash backs of that sorts). Not quite like the slightly twee (but still very watchable) Warm Bodies, but the premise of the story is quite intriguing.

Will definitely tune in next Sunday.

As for the people who claims Being Human US is better, I beg (beseech, implore!) to differ.

THE US VERSION SUCKS BIG TIME, tbh.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    was okay, can't wait for the current zombie fad to be over though. Even worse than the vampire fad.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    I just caught it on the repeat tonight, thought it was excellent, a very different take, not your usual zombie thing at all, will definitely carry on watching.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    alternate wrote: »
    was okay, can't wait for the current zombie fad to be over though. Even worse than the vampire fad.

Does 1 American film, 1 American tv show and 1 British show count as a "fad"???
  • spubbbbaspubbbba Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »
    Does 1 American film, 1 American tv show and 1 British show count as a "fad"???

Lazy people in the media always do that, take a handful of moderately popular examples and extrapolate that to a big fad.

Vampires have been popular for ages ;Buffy, Blade, Interview with the vampire, dusk till dawn, lost boys all the way back to hammer horror. Zombies have equally been a regular in many films over the decades.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Eileen* wrote: »
    I just caught it on the repeat tonight, thought it was excellent, a very different take, not your usual zombie thing at all, will definitely carry on watching.

I watched it warily as zombie stuff is not my thing at all. Frankly they terrify me. :D

But they don't even mention the "z" word. It's Partially Deceased Syndrome - wonderful government speak. ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised it's not been mentioned here as it is superb and already green lit for a second season. One for BBC Four to pick up on Saturday nights.

Channel 4 have picked it up apparently.
  • johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shute wrote: »
    But they don't even mention the "z" word. It's Partially Deceased Syndrome - wonderful government speak. ;)

Yes they did - sure one the main character referred to himself as one, at one point.

Thought this was ok, if a bit slow to start - but clearly heading for carnage again by the last episode.

Decent twist near the end though, which I wont spoil.
    alternate wrote: »

'Current'?? This 'fad' has been going since 2004 with the Dawn of the Dead remake.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭