Goodbye BBC Television Centre

Comments

• Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    Good sense from Michael Grade
    that'll be Lord Grade of Yarmouth - Non-executive chairman of Pinewood, a group which stands to gain commercially from the closure of the BBC largest purpose built (electronic) production studio!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even so, it's good sense. And at least there's no disfunctional fountain near Broadcasting House W1A to leak into the Newsroom ...
    Forum Member
    A showbusiness “impresario”, down to his trademark bright red socks, the former BBC chairman and programmes chief will elicit fond memories from the
    likes of Sir David Attenborough, Ronnie Corbett and Sir Michael Parkinson during a special celebration programme, filmed at the famous Studio One.
    Dan's Dad wrote: »
    ..... and endless inappropriate use of the word 'filming'!
    ab48uk wrote: »
    It may just be me, but the whole programme seemed to be shown with a dreadful film effect look, together with some jittery effects on fast moving hands etc.
    an attempt to fool some of the people some of the time, perhaps!
  • tedjrrtedjrr Posts: 2,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even so, it's good sense. And at least there's no disfunctional fountain near Broadcasting House W1A to leak into the Newsroom ...

....yet.

Sue, have to agree with you that getting TVC off the BBC's books was the most logical and creative thing that they could have done.
  • cyril-furrcyril-furr Posts: 1,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    an attempt to fool some of the people some of the time, perhaps!

It sounds to me that you were not very impressed by that program?
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    good riddance to it , i applied for a job there and never got it
  • runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Gutted, recorded this but the electricity went off,looked on i player,not there !!! Any ideas why ?
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But then who's fault is it that it hasn't been upgraded over the years. A little spent over the decades would have saved a big bill now.

...and if they had not done a massive move for no good reason to Salford and another massive spend revamping and moving everyone to Broadcasting House, plus a few other savings, they might have been able to afford to have the work done.

All this looks like is massive spends for no good reason and they have had to sell TVC to claw the money back somehow.

As was said one last night's show about video tape being expensive and the mindless short-term view that wiping them was the answer back in the 70s, turned out to be massively wrong. The BBC always seems to favour short-term monitory gain over the long-term effects of that short-sighted knee-jerk action.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gutted, recorded this but the electricity went off,looked on i player,not there !!! Any ideas why ?

because your not looking properly http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01rgr1l/Goodbye_Television_Centre/
  • runfor yourliferunfor yourlife Posts: 118
    Forum Member

Well i am looking properly,through sky ondemand iplayer
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TC1 was re-equipped for HD relatively recently. Why did last night's programme have that strange filmic effect when it was obviously done on electronic cameras ?
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Why did last night's programme have that strange filmic effect when it was obviously done on electronic cameras ?
    Too many threads running on this closure topic, perhaps?
    ab48uk wrote: »
    ..... but the whole programme seemed to be shown with a dreadful film effect look ....
    It was actually done as a tribute to us 'techies' who didn't get the inter-field registration quite right on a twin-lens telecine ;)
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They did put a price on it - £200 million which many experts have suggested was way below the market value.

The BBC only sold a lease, they still own the freehold.
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then who's fault is it that it hasn't been upgraded over the years. A little spent over the decades would have saved a big bill now.

...and if they had not done a massive move for no good reason to Salford and another massive spend revamping and moving everyone to Broadcasting House, plus a few other savings, they might have been able to afford to have the work done.

All this looks like is massive spends for no good reason and they have had to sell TVC to claw the money back somehow.

As was said one last night's show about video tape being expensive and the mindless short-term view that wiping them was the answer back in the 70s, turned out to be massively wrong. The BBC always seems to favour short-term monitory gain over the long-term effects of that short-sighted knee-jerk action.

It's not a case of simply upgrading it over the years, each changed in technology brings new needs. Even ignoring the listed building issues the fact is that just putting a PC on every desk and a network to connect them all up is a huge problem in large older buildings that were not designed for them. Down to having to upgrade the air con to cope with all the extra heat generated by all those PCs, laser printers etc.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would he know anyway? The man's ineptitude in the 80's led to the sacking of Colin Baker, just because they didn't get on, the later cancellation of Doctor Who, because 'he didn't like it' and he was planning to axe Blackadder because 'he didn't think it was funny'
    I thought it leaked into a videotape storage area, and was too noisy for the offices overlooking it
  • NewExampleNewExample Posts: 1,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zz9 wrote: »
    It's not a case of simply upgrading it over the years, each changed in technology brings new needs. Even ignoring the listed building issues the fact is that just putting a PC on every desk and a network to connect them all up is a huge problem in large older buildings that were not designed for them. Down to having to upgrade the air con to cope with all the extra heat generated by all those PCs, laser printers etc.

What on earth... What do you think they used until the other day? Typewriters?
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    zz9 wrote: »

Aye, not to mention the little fact that the basic electrical supply would also need looking at on a room to room basis - I suspect back in the 60's when TVC was built most of the offices only needed power for lighting and maybe a few small electrical appliances, as opposed to a computer/monitor and assorted other electrical essentials of the modern office (faxes, printers, phone chargers etc), means that each desk probably needs about 500-1000 watts, as opposed to 60 watts for a lamp.

Old buildings can look great and have a lot of historical significance, but they reach a point where it's much cheaper to build a new one that is built for modern needs (and hopefully future proofed to a degree*)..

And this completely ignores any issues with the original design and materials used, things like asbestos make it very hard (nearing impossible) to do work on some buildings without having potentially large areas out of action (work in a fire escape route could lead to the area that serves being deemed unsafe to use due to lack of emergency exits).

TVC is/was a massive landmark, and rightfully looked upon fondly as the home of so much creativity and so many of the wide ranging popular cultural stuff of the last 50 years, but unfortunately as a practical place to make TV it almost certainly was past it's best :(

*One of the reasons a lot of people who build their own houses put in conduit** with space for things like network cabling (useful for AV, phones, security systems etc as well as networking), and any modern office building will likely have "comms risers" (basically large trunks going between floors where additional cabling can be put in easily).

**I joke with family that if I ever win the lottery I'd build (or rebuild) a house with separate electrical circuits for every room, and a pair of network points (with spare cabling) by every power socket, largely because so many devices can use the network now (and wireless is load of rubbish for easy, reliable use).
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    NewExample wrote: »

They've been upgrading it, BUT there is a point at which it's no longer practical.

Consider for example the increase in power requirements for an average PC over the last 15 years.

It used to be that you could power a workstation PC on as little as a 150 or 200 watt PSU.
    Now the CPU alone (assuming a single physical CPU) in one of those machines can easily be using 90 watts at maximum usage, and the recommended wattage for a fairly average PC is now 300-500 watts.
    For a machine doing something like video editing, probably hooked up with multiple HDD's in raid, and several monitors you can be looking at several times that, especially if the machine is equipped with any sort of fast GPU (IIRC some of the software packages can and do use parts of modern GPU's as co processors to speed up encoding and modelling work), or you use a high end workstation/low end server board with space for two discrete CPU's..
    Moving from CRT to LCD probably helps offset some of the power increase, but not all..

And that's ignoring the fact that TV production is using more and more computers, and other devices that suck power in, at the desk level rather than being isolated in the machine rooms, or the studios were they originally intended to have high capacity supplies.
    Many of which will also need more and more data connectivity...

And that's completely ignoring the likes of cooling, as ZZ9 says the additional air conditioning needed for the increasing number of computers etc is in itself a fairly major issue.
    Modern buildings are designed with that in mind (ducting installed during construction, airflow thought out, and space or the conditioning units), with older buildings you can cram in some AC, but it tends to require losing space for other things, and placing the AC and machinery where there is space for them, not where it's optimal for other considerations.

Basically with regards to power requirements, it'll be part that, and part other things that need additional space/wiring..

Oh, and of course if you're working in a building that is partially listed, it can reduce your options for improving things like cooling (if you can't alter the frontage much you immediately lose one of the best options for improving cooling cheaply, as you can't hang AC units outside).
  • Donald DallasDonald Dallas Posts: 3,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There have been a number of threads running here recently, and in the past, possibly influenced by migrants from another site, in which accusations have been made implying that any poster who
    doesn't agree with their views of the BBC and the law, can only post contrary views and opinions because they have been paid to do so by the BBC, Capita or other contractors to the BBC.

You can find out about their behaviour here.

Whilst I have received considerable sums of money from the BBC over the last 5 decades, not a penny has been given in respect of my publishing opinion, views and recollection here or elsewhere.

I've had the same over the years - especially when I used to take part in the boring, circular arguments about the BBC.

I was always honest about the fact that I was an employee of the Corporation - but there were always claims by one dullard that I was paid to spout my views over the Interweb.

My views have always been in my own - and I'm not paid to spout them.

However, I am open to offers...
  • Standup2Standup2 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Nilrem wrote: »
    They've been upgrading it, BUT there is a point at which it's no longer practical.

Consider for example the increase in power requirements for an average PC over the last 15 years.

It used to be that you could power a workstation PC on as little as a 150 or 200 watt PSU.
    Now the CPU alone (assuming a single physical CPU) in one of those machines can easily be using 90 watts at maximum usage, and the recommended wattage for a fairly average PC is now 300-500 watts.
    For a machine doing something like video editing, probably hooked up with multiple HDD's in raid, and several monitors you can be looking at several times that, especially if the machine is equipped with any sort of fast GPU (IIRC some of the software packages can and do use parts of modern GPU's as co processors to speed up encoding and modelling work), or you use a high end workstation/low end server board with space for two discrete CPU's..
    Moving from CRT to LCD probably helps offset some of the power increase, but not all..

And that's ignoring the fact that TV production is using more and more computers, and other devices that suck power in, at the desk level rather than being isolated in the machine rooms, or the studios were they originally intended to have high capacity supplies.
    Many of which will also need more and more data connectivity...

And that's completely ignoring the likes of cooling, as ZZ9 says the additional air conditioning needed for the increasing number of computers etc is in itself a fairly major issue.
    Modern buildings are designed with that in mind (ducting installed during construction, airflow thought out, and space or the conditioning units), with older buildings you can cram in some AC, but it tends to require losing space for other things, and placing the AC and machinery where there is space for them, not where it's optimal for other considerations.

Basically with regards to power requirements, it'll be part that, and part other things that need additional space/wiring..

Oh, and of course if you're working in a building that is partially listed, it can reduce your options for improving things like cooling (if you can't alter the frontage much you immediately lose one of the best options for improving cooling cheaply, as you can't hang AC units outside).

Also things like the asbestos makes cable running very challenging.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press reports today that TV presenter Vernon Kaye was apprehended by BBC security trying to steal a ''Toilet'' sign from TVC.

www.sundayexpress.co.uk
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Blog re Studios at TVC from 2015 with a couple of comments there already
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewExample wrote: »

Probably PCs linked back to switches via RJ45 cabling, switches in various network cabinets, each cabinet linked to a fibre backbone off which many servers sit (housed in a separate room perhaps).. Some areas might be OK for limited wireless coverage, but this could be problematic in a building with so much brick, concrete, metal and electrical installations (I don't work for the BBC, either directly or indirectly so I have no direct knowledge of their IT infrastrucure)..

But, having worked within an IT Technical Support environment in an early 70's building, it becomes very difficult running large bundles of network cabling across suspended ceilings, around corridors, through walls and between floors, especially when you are trying to install a new cable run (when there might be very little free space, or where the whole physical network, modified and expanded piecemeal over many years, and covering many floors, needs a complete overhaul).

Then having worked through a refurb of that building where three floors were stripped and rebuilt, where the floors were flood-wired from the start, leaving plenty of room for additional cables, I can appreciate the advantages of designing and installing a large network from scratch, utilising best practice.

And as others have mentioned, getting new cable runs installed could be problematic due to issues with asbestos. The same could apply to getting new or additional power runs in place.Indeed upgrading power so that there are sufficient 13amp power outlets (negating the need to run extension cables, the bane of every office) could be a big issue. And of course each server rack or network cabinet (populated with switches or local servers) requires additional power and/or cooling (the heat dissipation from a bank of rack-mounted 48-port switches can be pretty high)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Blog re Studios at TVC from 2015 with a couple of comments there already

And reports on progress of the redevelopment at

www.televison-centre.com
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And reports on progress of the redevelopment at

www.televison-centre.com

wow interesting