Options

BBC1 6pm News Tuesday .... they are Children, not Kids

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    I find it offensive -it's sloppy journalism. Kids are baby goats as has been pointed out - they were poor innocent CHILDREN. The trouble is the latest generation have absolutely no respect!

Latest generation?

Anyway they were also kids.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Shoddy BBC journalism. Standards are slipping. I blame the licence fee!

I needs to be raised so they can employ a better caliber of journalists then.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    I find it offensive -it's sloppy journalism. Kids are baby goats as has been pointed out - they were poor innocent CHILDREN. The trouble is the latest generation have absolutely no respect!

So should nobody else called children kids either? Do you have children? Does it offend you if someone says "you have 2 nice kids" (as an example)? It's not sloppy journalism, it's got NOTHING to do with respect (sorry but that's a load of absolute tosh, and that's being kind), and as for it being offensive, my word, if someone is offended by the word kids, or a journlist using the word kids then whoever it is that's offended by it needs help.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    I don't think it's sloppy, kids is just another word for children.
    Yes. Has been since the 1540s, albeit used informally but widely accepted in the 1800s.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 11pm BBC News transmission of the item had all the references to Kids replaced by the word Children.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was never an issue anyway. It really doesn't matter. This talk of respect is a load of tosh too. Just because they're dead doesn't mean they should say children rather than kids, and it doesn't make it any more/less respectful. It's nothing more than people making a mountain out of a flat piece of land, let alone out of a molehill. Absolutely nothing wrong with the original broadcast. Then again it sums up people nowadays when they can be offended/find something disrespectful when there's nothing to be offended by/to find disrespectful. Almost seems fashionable nowadays for people to claim to be offended by something when there's nothing to be offended by. Same goes for the respect claims.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    You seem upset, outraged and offended :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ha, no, I just find it ridiculous how people can apparently be offended or find something so insignificant disrespectful. I mean let's be honest here, it's a word. That's it.
  • Options
    kriZbiikriZbii Posts: 1,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although it's in no way disrespectful to call them kids, it was very noticable and slightly jarring at the constant use of kids, as if the word children had somehow been banned and the reporter was deliberately not using it. Mixing up the use of children and kids would have been better to stop repetition of the same word over and over. Doesn't really matter, but generally children would be primarily used in news reports, with kids used as an alternate.
  • Options
    Donald DallasDonald Dallas Posts: 3,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience in broadcast news writing, a lot listeners/ viewers hate the use of the word 'kids'.

My personal view is that 'kids' is fine when used in lighter stories or an informal context.

For a hard news story - and they don't come any harder than this - I'd always use 'children'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience in broadcast news writing, a lot listeners/ viewers hate the use of the word 'kids'.

My personal view is that 'kids' is fine when used in lighter stories or an informal context.

For a hard news story - and they don't come any harder than this - I'd always use 'children'.

Well said.

I too have many years experience of working in broadcast TV News.

I doubt that any of the posters defending the use of the word Kids actually saw the item, and the context in which Kids was used.

They may have thought differently had they done so.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem. It's just another word for children. I always use the word kids rather than children. The world children sounds old fashioned to me.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    What i find appalling here, is the fact that more credence is given to a word, kids, and not the fact they were burned alive!
    There is seriously something wrong with this world and forum if more attention is given to the word kids!
    **** sake!!!
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    popeye13 wrote: »
    What i find appalling here, is the fact that more credence is given to a word, kids, and not the fact they were burned alive!
    There is seriously something wrong with this world and forum if more attention is given to the word kids!
    **** sake!!!

Well said
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    **** sake!!!

100% with you.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    Write tot eh Daily Mail, I'm sure they'll agree.

Offensive? Check out the cruel headline in today's (Wednesday) Daily Mail which I saw on the paper reviews earlier tonight. The headline screams "VILE PRODUCT OF WELFARE UK".

Now that is both offensive and incendiary beyond belief. To even dare to equate a convicted multiple child killer of his own offspring to those who claim benefits of whatever kind. Even if he has had 17 children by 5 women to milk the system some way, it remains a very very nasty and un-called for headline, trying to smear millions of decent people with this loathesome couple of killers. The Daily Mail cannot even report this terrible story in a straightforward manner, without using it for its own agenda, and in this of all weeks.

Insofar as the "kids" word in place of "children" is concerned, it is not offensive, simply damned shoddy journalism that should have been picked up and rectified before airing. Similar to saying everyone will be 500 "quid" worse off this year, rather than "pounds".
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Typical lefty trying to dictate to us what we can and can't read/write/say/listen to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stigid wrote: »
    I doubt that any of the posters defending the use of the word Kids actually saw the item, and the context in which Kids was used.

They may have thought differently had they done so.

I have seen the item, and I'm quite comfortable with the use of the word kids rather than children. Complete non issue. If anything I'm disappointed they changed it later on as there was nothing wrong in the first place.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kids is slang.

I'm not hugely offended- but the BBC used to take a pride in getting it right.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lead item on the 6pm BBC1 National News, the 6 dead Philpott Children, killed in a fire started by their convicted father & mother.

The reporter in the package showed no respect at all, by constantly referring to the Kids, not the Children.

Just another example of dumming down at the BBC I'm afraid.

I also noted that in order to satisfy some kind of "regionality" quota, the presenter of last nights "Special" on the death of those children wasn't required to speak comprehensible English. So I had to translate a lot of it from Northern Irish into English for my OH, as she genuinely couldn't understand what was being said. Even I struggled to work out that "regular rise" was "regular rows".

You'd think a topic like this might deserve a bit more respect.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    **** sake!!!

Very disingenuous attempt at points-scoring there I'm afraid.

This is a broadcasting forum - of course discussion is going to revolve around the reporting of the topic, and not the topic itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The 11pm BBC News transmission of the item had all the references to Kids replaced by the word Children.

BBC1 National News at Ten replaced all references to Kids, using Children instead.
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    I don't think it's sloppy, kids is just another word for children.

So is the words bairns and weans, I doubt the BBC would use these words in a serious news story.

Perhaps I just expect higher standards from the BBC!
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    **** sake!!!

For goodness sake, this is a broadcasting forum, where people discuss what they have seen and heard being broadcast. Just how high is your moral high horse.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    **** sake!!!

Totally agree.