What classic BBC programmes would you like to see again?

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
BBC4 has been screening I Claudius and this week start showing Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads. Last year they gave us The Singing Detective.
Unfortunately these gems from the vaults are very few and far between. There was a time when UK Gold would give us some rare classics but now its just the same sitcoms on constant loop.
I'd love to see BBC4 screen some rare programs from the 60s/70s. They wiped so many but its on record that the beeb has some remaining episodes in the vaults.

What would you like to see again?
My list would include -
Beggar My Neighbour (Reg Varney and Pat Coombes/June Whitfield and Peter Jones)
Me Mammy (Milo Oshea)
The Rag Trade (Miriam Karlin, Sheila Hancock)
All Gas and Gaiters (Nimmo)
Citizen James (sid)
Meet the Wife (Thora Hird)

Comments

• mrblankmrblank Posts: 5,687
    Forum Member
    eye3 wrote: »
    BBC4 has been screening I Claudius and this week start showing Whatever Happened to The Likely Lads. Last year they gave us The Singing Detective.
    Unfortunately these gems from the vaults are very few and far between. There was a time when UK Gold would give us some rare classics but now its just the same sitcoms on constant loop.
    I'd love to see BBC4 screen some rare programs from the 60s/70s. They wiped so many but its on record that the beeb has some remaining episodes in the vaults.

What would you like to see again?
    My list would include -
    Beggar My Neighbour (Reg Varney and Pat Coombes/June Whitfield and Peter Jones)
    Me Mammy (Milo Oshea)
    The Rag Trade (Miriam Karlin, Sheila Hancock)
    All Gas and Gaiters (Nimmo)
    Citizen James (sid)
    Meet the Wife (Thora Hird)

i bet most of that lot most of the episodes have been lost if not all of them
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All but two episodes of Me Mammy are lost.

The majority of Beggar My Neighbour, Citizen James, All Gas and Gaiters and Meet the Wife are gone too.

All of series one and the majority of series two of The Rag Trade exist but all of series three is gone.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If so few episodes survived,it would be great if the BBC would allow them a viewing instead of gathering dust
  • manickangaroomanickangaroo Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Z Cars. I know not all of those have survived but I think ome of the later ones have. Probably quite dated now but would lke to see them again.
  • Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I think Ronnie Barker's 'Clarence' is greatly overlooked & should be shown again.:)
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Softly, Softly.
    Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin (Series 1 + 2 only)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Gnomes of Dulwich.
    I remember watching this when I was about 10 years old.

Only one series of 'The Gnomes of Dulwich' was made and unfortunately the tapes
    for this series do not seem to have survived the BBC's famous 'house-cleaning' of the late 1970s.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Gnomes of Dulwich.
    I remember watching this when I was about 10 years old.

Only one series of 'The Gnomes of Dulwich' was made and unfortunately the tapes
    for this series do not seem to have survived the BBC's famous 'house-cleaning' of the late 1970s.

You're right. Sadly, no episodes of The Gnomes of Dulwich are known to survive.
  • shadowplayshadowplay Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    I would welcome any existing episodes of Dr Finlays casebook or Target (The BBC's answer to The Sweeney). Sitcoms maybe "Help, Smith and Jones, Three of a kind or Alexei Sayle's early material" would be good to see.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In AT The Deep End would be good...
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Z Cars. I know not all of those have survived but I think ome of the later ones have. Probably quite dated now but would lke to see them again.

Good shout !
    I'd go for :-

The Onedin Line
    When the Boat Comes in
    Howard's Way
    Eldorado ( controversial , I know)
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one foot in the grave
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one foot? Dont GOLD show this regularly?

Another comedy I loved was Beachcomber (Spike Milligan). I got a feeling all were wiped
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The missing episodes of sixties Doctor Who.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    The missing episodes of sixties Doctor Who.

All you need is a Tardis and you're sorted !!!
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard's Way
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Whatever's left of That Was The Week That Was. I still can't believe that such an historically important programme as this hasn't had some form of DVD release...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Galopping Galaxies
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Poldark and there was a series on a Sunday night I think it was called Wings about a Farmer Boy who joined the RFC in WW1 it was quite good as I remember
  • g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Good shout !
    I'd go for :-

The Onedin Line
    When the Boat Comes in
    Howard's Way
    Eldorado ( controversial , I know)

I'll raise you with Triangle
  • ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Howard's Way

Howards' Way is at least available on DVD - which is more than can be said for the show that appears to be consigned to the archives forever, Making Out ... :mad::(
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,936
    Forum Member
    Servalan wrote: »
    Howards' Way is at least available on DVD - which is more than can be said for the show that appears to be consigned to the archives forever, Making Out ... :mad::(

Was just about to put Making Out. Why hasn't it been repeated and why hasn't it been released on dvd? I'd love to see it again!
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    The Enigma files - 1980-81

I missed the last episode so never knew what happened (pre mass video recorders).
    Never been repeated

Blood Money, Skorpion, Cold warrior

Series of dramas about anti terrorists activities in the UK.
    Michael Dennison played "Captain Percival", head of a secret elite unit.
    Blood Money starred Bernard Hepton, and was about the son of an International Diplomat being kidnapped and the hunt for the terrorists.
  • NostalgicNostalgic Posts: 7,192
    Forum Member
    Birds of a Feather
  • Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Lotus Eaters