Options

When will Eastenders come to an end

neil_harwoodneil_harwood Posts: 44
Forum Member
Will eastenders continue to show on tv until such time in the distant future when everyone has grown old and died or when will it end and how

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About 15 years ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrcynical wrote: »
    About 15 years ago.

lol yeah about 1998 was the last time it was really good. 2001 was quite decent too with the return of Dan Sullivan
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be this decade. If you look at the ratings they keep declining year on year. I suppose it could always transfer to the internet but as far as tv goes its days are numbered.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,304
    Forum Member
    Sigh the doom and gloom brigade are here again I see.

I'm not sure why this thread had to pick on ee, I mean the thread could have focused on all the soaps.

I'm not Mystic Meg in disguise, I don't think rubbing my hands over big balls will help me predict the future and I haven't a clue when it will end. I doubt it'll be anytime soon. It's not doing as bad as some people make out.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will eastenders continue to show on tv until such time in the distant future when everyone has grown old and died or when will it end and how

I don't know how everyone can grow old and die, as they replace dead characters with new younger characters.

Once the remaining classic characters have gone (Dot, Ian, Phil, Sharon) it may be on it's last legs though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    EastEnders really isn't doing as badly as some people are making out. All soaps and TV programmes go through bad patches - I bet there have been times when people have been slagging off Corrie and wondering when that will come to an end. Sure, so the ratings aren't as high as they used to be, but if you compare these ratings to other popular programmes such as Emmerdale, Hollyoaks and Doctor Who (which have all been getting fewer viewers than EE) then you'll realise that if anything EastEnders is actually doing pretty well. Why would the BBC want to axe something that brings in a solid 6 million viewers four times a week? I don't see programmes such as Hollyoaks (and more recently Doctor Who) being axed anytime soon, even though their ratings are often a lot lower, so why should EastEnders be?
  • Options
    Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't end. It's still a flagship BBC show, and remains a high priority show for them. It would have to drop to 1 or 2 million for it to be considered in serious trouble, and even then they could turn it around.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the BBC do is need to make a new soap...
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if the ratings are sliding, it is still the most consistently popular show on BBC1. The latest BARB figures -

Top10 shows for week Apr15-Apr21 2013
    1 THE VOICE UK (SAT 2019)
    2 EASTENDERS (MON 2000)
    3 EASTENDERS (TUE 1929)
    4 EASTENDERS (FRI 2000)
    5 COUNTRYFILE (SUN 1900)
    6 DOCTOR WHO (SAT 1844)
    7 THE SYNDICATE (TUE 2101)
    8 EASTENDERS (THU 1929)
    9 BBC NEWS (SUN 2200)
    10 THE VILLAGE (SUN 2101)

I can't see it going anywhere.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=65639824&postcount=6

I will repeat by post from that thread here
    I doubt it. While there is no danger of EE ending soon. The BBC is held to ransom by the Government. All it takes is a big licence fee cut or a change in the Royal charter and EastEnders could be in a difficult position. In the ever changing world of TV/Media and Internet nothing is ever certain. Certainly not in regards to where and what the BBC could be in 10/15 years time.

Corrie is lucky because its on ITV so doesn't have to fit any certain rules on TV tax. EastEnders, just like Brookside on Channel Four oddly, was only ever allowed to air in the first place because it ''educated'' on social issues. Now that applies to several of the BBC soaps. So sort of degrades the purpose EE was created for. Plus aside from holding up the primetime schedule EE makes no money for the BBC. Strictly Come Dancing, Call The Midwife, Doctor Who, Spooks etc, Have all made big bucks for BBC Worldwide. EastEnders makes next to nothing. So that also goes against it.

What's telling is that the BBC appear to have stopped looking for a new set for EE. It was all systems go a few years ago. The lease on Elstree runs out in 2016. Not saying EE is going to be axed as the BBC may just extend the lease but they were looking to off load the studios to save money. That plan appears to have stalled. A new set would have guaranteed EastEnders for at least another 10/15 years. Without wishing to start a panic. The Elstree Studio land is listed as being available for development after 2016 on www.hertsmere.gov.uk. So its odd nothing has been revealed about what will happen to the location of EastEnders.
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    Way after Corrie has ended. :D
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xTonix wrote: »
    Doubtful. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Corrie is going for it's 100th Anniversary.
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

HA, you wish
  • Options
    xTonixxTonix Posts: 56,273
    Forum Member
    cooler wrote: »
    Corrie is going for it's 100th Anniversary.

We will all be dead by then. :D
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eastenders was nearly axed in 2004.. During the fairground disaster period
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will all be dead by then. :D

20-30 age group members will be in their 70s so a good proportion will see it. :d
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It ended for me straight after Derek died, not because I liked him and haven't watched since, it is the worst soap on TV and to think we pay our licence fee for crap like that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 131
    Forum Member
    EE is the worst soap on at the moment and has been for a long while. Its unlikely to recover so axing it would be the best option.
  • Options
    WhiteShadeWhiteShade Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    EastEnders has effectively become Big Brother. Everybody dislikes the baddies therefore they're axed or killed off quite fast nowadays. Hence why you're left with storylines about nothing. The one person who people were talking about was Derek and they didn't renew the actors contract. Dumb or what. You could say the storylines for him wouldn't have lasted but that hasn't stopped other actors milking a wage for years from this cow of a show has it!
  • Options
    hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    WhiteShade wrote: »
    EastEnders has effectively become Big Brother. Everybody dislikes the baddies therefore they're axed or killed off quite fast nowadays. Hence why you're left with storylines about nothing. The one person who people were talking about was Derek and they didn't renew the actors contract. Dumb or what. You could say the storylines for him wouldn't have lasted but that hasn't stopped other actors milking a wage for years from this cow of a show has it!

I thought Derek chose to go??:confused:

I wouldn't say him leaving was a bad thing, his character was all over the place, they couldn't make up his mind what they wanted him to be, and came across more as an annoyance than a baddie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps 2015, it's 30th anniversary. Not that there's anything left to celebrate in my opinion! :(
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Citadel wrote: »
    Perhaps 2015, it's 30th anniversary. Not that there's anything left to celebrate in my opinion! :(
    Agreed. It's not the show it once was, and died a while ago.

IMHO it should be allowed to go while it's still (relatively) strong, so I'd say ending on the 30th is a good shout. :)
  • Options
    dantay24ukdantay24uk Posts: 2,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously? This conversation again!

Not until the 50 year mark, I'd imagine. By which time it will be one or two soaps left and I'd imagine even Corrie will be calling it quits by then!