Why does Ken Barlow never mention his parents?

Matt_1979Matt_1979 Posts: 226
Forum Member
I am not a regular Coronation Street viewer, but I have read on the Internet (it might have been on a Digital Spy post) that Ken never mentions his parents for some reason, and there are no photos of them on display. I know they were only in the early years of the series (His mum Ida was killed off less than a year after Coronation Street started), but I would have believed for reasons of continuity, that Ken would mention them occasionally.

Comments

• Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel I must hold back a gag.
  • VoodooChicVoodooChic Posts: 9,868
    Forum Member
    I've heard him mention both in the past few years
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I never mention my parents to anyone and I have no photos of them on display either.

Everyone's different.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe he is a robot
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they're like my parents not worth talking about :)
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel I must hold back a gag.

Oh go on
  • CatmittensCatmittens Posts: 1,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    I am not a regular Coronation Street viewer, but I have read on the Internet (it might have been on a Digital Spy post) that Ken never mentions his parents for some reason, and there are no photos of them on display. I know they were only in the early years of the series (His mum Ida was killed off less than a year after Coronation Street started), but I would have believed for reasons of continuity, that Ken would mention them occasionally.

He has an old photo album full of pics of his parents and his brother (it was shown in the New Year's Day 1990 episode where Ken attempted suicide), but yeah, it's strange that the only "relative" of Ken's on display as a picture is "Uncle" Albert Tatlock! :D
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Stella ever mention her parents. What about Anna, Dev, Lloyd, Hayley, Eileen, Sally,Owen, Karl, Tim, Audrey, etc, they never talk about mum or dad.
  • wise-upwise-up Posts: 2,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Stella ever mention her parents. What about Anna, Dev, Lloyd, Hayley, Eileen, Sally,Owen, Karl, Tim, Audrey, etc, they never talk about mum or dad.

Stellas mum I in the show.
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=davelovesleeds;65722858]Does Stella ever mention her parents. What about Anna, Dev, Lloyd, Hayley, Eileen, Sally,Owen, Karl, Tim, Audrey, etc, they never talk about mum or dad.[/QUOTE]

She never mentions her parents but she lives with this women who she happens to call mum;)
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    She never mentions her parents but she lives with this women who she happens to call mum;)

Well you can't blame Ken for not doing the same. Hasn't she been dead nigh on 40 years? Don't think Deidre would like her moving in as a house guest! :D
  • ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,276
    Forum Member
    Well you can't blame Ken for not doing the same. Hasn't she been dead nigh on 40 years? Don't think Deidre would like her moving in as a house guest! :D

Yes but I bet a woman who has been dead for 40 years would still have a more interesting personality than some people I could name on the street. She'd probably smell better than some of them too.
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I doubt if Ken will be in it again this question is rather pointless.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wise-up wrote: »
    Stellas mum I in the show.

Yes, sorry, blame the wine, no work today so I had a few extra glasses. :o
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    She died 52 years ago
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hit by a bus I believe
  • rosiedevonrosiedevon Posts: 7,707
    Forum Member
    Back in the early days he thought he was above them. And was ashamed of his roots and being working class. He was a right snob.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ken was only in his early 20s when his mother Ida died and he never really got on with his father Frank.

Albert Tatlock was more of a father figure to him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably for the same reason he never mentions his dead daughter or all the other children he has scattered around.
  • Matt_1979Matt_1979 Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    Ken was only in his early 20s when his mother Ida died and he never really got on with his father Frank.

Albert Tatlock was more of a father figure to him.

I had heard how Ken was close to his first wife's Uncle Albert. I saw the earlier post about Albert's photo being in on display, but it does seem a bit odd that there aren't photos of Ken's parents and brother on display as well, although it was interesting to hear about his photo album.

The actress who played Ken's mum was called Noel Dyson and she was very posh in real life, I saw on the Internet that she was educated at Roedean and later at a Paris finishing school! I remember seeing her in UK Gold repeats of Father Dear Father in the early 90s as 'Nanny' the housekeeper.
  • ChickenWingsChickenWings Posts: 2,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Yes but I bet a woman who has been dead for 40 years would still have a more interesting personality than some people I could name on the street. She'd probably smell better than some of them too.

I too don't doubt this ;)
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt_1979 wrote: »
    The actress who played Ken's mum was called Noel Dyson and she was very posh in real life, I saw on the Internet that she was educated at Roedean and later at a Paris finishing school! I remember seeing her in UK Gold repeats of Father Dear Father in the early 90s as 'Nanny' the housekeeper.

She quit the role of Ida in 1961 because she lived in London and got fed up commuting to Manchester every week to do Coronation Street.

She appeared in two Carry On movies, Carry On Constable (1960) and Carry On Cabby (1963). She was also in the 1979 BBC sitcom Potter with Arthur Lowe. Her last job, before her death in 1995, was playing Helen Mirren's mother in Prime Suspect.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps the new Kenny will mention them more.
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe he is a robot

:D:D:D
  • trevon1trevon1 Posts: 6,530
    Forum Member
    Because they were circus freaks.