Options

BBC: 247 Complaints about Royal Coverage

123457»

Comments

• Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    And if all the complaints did have "some weight" that would be great. But they don't and, unfortunately, get lost in all the 'i don't like it so it shouldn't be shown' et al complaints.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Well, you need some basis for your complaint. Just saying you hate sport is rather random, whereas criticising the BBC for displacing BBC1 local news for Andy Murray has more weight, as they can't show those programmes on BBC2.

As far as i can see the complaints about the coverage of the Royal birth seem to be just on the basis that the complainant does not like the Royal family, does not like news or wanted to watch some (usually mediocre) programme. I used sport as an allegory because many (probably some of the same people) seem to believe that any sports event is more important than any other programme which it can displace. We frequently have sport on the two main channels, BBC1 and BBC2, at the same time. I don't think the Royal birth was covered on these two channels simultaneously at any time.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D
    Wow, poor woman can't even listen to the radio in work. Still I'm sure the world is comforted knowing that Rich Tea is constantly thinking about others plights 24 hours a day. Wait what's that??? the sound of a child crying somewhere...quick Rich Tea time to don your cape and fly to the rescue. Dah Dah dahhhhhhh

Still nice to see you have time to post on the Internet inbetween all your caring and compassion, but think of the good you could have done whilst making all of your six thousand plus posts. All of those poor people you have let down. You could have done so much more Rich Tea...could have done so much more.:cry: But God Bless you for trying..I feel a song coming on......

'You raise me up so I can stand on mountains.......'

A decent bit of sarcasm I think. :p

Really, all I was trying to get across was that there are people out there, many of them, who will ignore issues on their own doorstep with people who it would be nice to have some notice taken of them, while they blindly ignore all around them in their own lives, meanwhile getting carried away by others, such as the royal baby story, or for that matter reading all the pointless trivia in these silly OK style mags. I've just seen a laughable advert for OK mag which states "The World Celebrates". The media world in the UK maybe, but not much further in truth.

Now then, where's my halo, I've got to grab my cape and respond to my calling....;)

Oh, and they said it was a BOY....but it ended up being a GAL! :D
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if all the complaints did have "some weight" that would be great. But they don't and, unfortunately, get lost in all the 'i don't like it so it shouldn't be shown' et al complaints.
    Doesn't make them any less valid just because others can't put their point across well as to why they don't like something, is it misinformed or inaccurate?

Personally I feel that this country hounds a royal family in a misguided belief that the population cares, they are basically a tourist attraction, the media should be ashamed at their hypocrisy as when Diana died their words were of never hounding the princes in the same way
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I feel that this country hounds a royal family in a misguided belief that the population cares, they are basically a tourist attraction, the media should be ashamed at their hypocrisy as when Diana died their words were of never hounding the princes in the same way
    I don't see that the media coverage of the Royals (especially as we've been talking mainly about the recent coverage of the baby) is in any way comparable to the paparazzi hounding that Diana received.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see that the media coverage of the Royals (especially as we've been talking mainly about the recent coverage of the baby) is in any way comparable to the paparazzi hounding that Diana received.
    Erm....helicopter overhead when kate went to her mother's?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Diana used to ring up newsdesks and tell them where she would be at a certain time so they could get informal pictures - is that the ''hounding'' you're talking about ?
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course there's going to be a period of intense media interest for a few days when covering a story of this significance. The family will realise this and will no doubt have bravely put up with the intrusion. Now if the helicopter is still hovering above the family house today, a week after the birth, I'll agree that would be going too far, but I don't think the media will be permanently following the couple around everywhere they go as they did with Diana.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The BBC helicopter pictures that I saw were just of the scene around various sites, did not see them following cars. I was surprised because I thought they might have followed the car from hospital to Kensington Palace. Don't know what Skye did but the BBC did not seem intrusive with their use of the helicopter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Diana used to ring up newsdesks and tell them where she would be at a certain time so they could get informal pictures - is that the ''hounding'' you're talking about ?

Most celebrities appear to do that in the hope they will be left alone the rest of the time. The problem is that there are lots of other paparazzi whose dream is to get the picture that will make them rich and they don't pay any attention to agreements like those.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,720
    Forum Member
    Doesn't make them any less valid just because others can't put their point across well as to why they don't like something, is it misinformed or inaccurate?
    The former, usually. They don't seem to have the common sense to realise why something was done the way it was and so see it as a problem when it really isn't.
    Personally I feel that this country hounds a royal family in a misguided belief that the population cares...
    Except there's nothing "mis-guided" about it.