Options

Cath Kidston

Comments

• Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the bags? The whole lot is hideous, like granny's 80s wallpaper & curtains. How on earth it's so popular it's beyond me.

This. ^^

My niece who is 21 is obsessed with her stuff!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    OMG - in my pursuit of answers I googled it and it's only Cath Kidston's dead dog!!!:eek::D:D

Ewwww ... fancy calling your child after a dead dog.:rolleyes:

Not only that, a strangers dead dog!!! I'm sorry but that is just creepy.

On a side note if my sister has a boy she is talking of calling it Stanley. Nothing whatsoever to do with dead dogs, it was the name of our grandfather. I think this would seriously put her off! :eek:
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    InTheNow wrote: »
    But no clutter to distract, just clean, fresh, liveable, calm.

No personal touches, no warmth, no cosiness.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lot of Stanleys around 'ere. Named after the blade of choice though. Weapon de jours.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    Lot of Stanleys around 'ere. Named after the blade of choice though. Weapon de jours.

That really made me laugh:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hogzilla wrote: »

The journalist seems to be doing a lot of projecting of her own views and thoughts in this article. Also she doesn't really expand on her 'quote' from Cath Kidston or give us any context.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The journalist seems to be doing a lot of projecting of her own views and thoughts in this article. Also she doesn't really expand on her 'quote' from Cath Kidston or give us any context.

Massive amount of supposition in that article.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No personal touches, no warmth, no cosiness.

You might want to investigate Danish interior design - very minimalist but with the emphasis on cosy. Having loads of tut hanging about the place just makes for more unneeded visual 'noise'.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Judging by the byline, it's never going to be good journalism or well written.:D All I said was it is interesting.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    You might want to investigate Danish interior design - very minimalist but with the emphasis on cosy. Having loads of tut hanging about the place just makes for more unneeded visual 'noise'.

also more housework, having to dust everything
  • Options
    Forum Member

I agree it can be difficult to relax in a room that has too much clutter. But I think you can keep a room calm and uncluttered without having to go down the stark, 'designer spartan' route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    also more housework, having to dust everything

Exactly, and then having to deal with all when you move, boxes and boxes of garbage.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    Cath Kidston stuff is about as much fun and quirky as all that "Keep Calm and..." crap that wasn't even funny when it first came back a few years back.

A load of old twee, faux "vintage" tat for sheeple to waste their money on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree with a previous poster. It's all down to taste. Some people like filly, chintzy and flouncy; some like contemporary mixed with retro or vintage, some like old and antique everywhere and won't entertain anything modern, some like very modern and minimalist and some like a plain, functional,look.

I have a friend who wouldn't give vintage stuff or bright colours house room. I find her house very boring and bland, I'm sure she finds mine not to her particular taste either.
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    OMG - in my pursuit of answers I googled it and it's only Cath Kidston's dead dog!!!:eek::D:D

Ewwww ... fancy calling your child after a dead dog.:rolleyes:

I heard her when she was a guest on Desert Island Discs and she came across as distinctly odd. You kind of expect these creative types to be quite expressive and enthusiastic and she was neither. Deadly dull was the overwhelming impression I got. I switched off before the end, which is very unusual.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    He looks VERY cosy in the 2nd one. I'd sleep very well in that bed - don't go much on the room though!

In the 80s, I once counted 15 clashing patterns in my mother in law's living room. 15.:eek: When MIL and FIL visited us in our grotty flat which we had just painted white, for cheapness, FIl would say very pointedly "I like it here. It's so restful!":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember in the 70s people's carpets, sofas and curtains were usually in varied patterns and colours. I'm not sure if it was fashion or just lack of money and having to take what you could get. It's strange to think that swirly carpets, brown and beige kitchen tiles, and dainty hall tables will probably be vintage chic to today's babies in forty years time.
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    I think most of you would hate me, most of my cushions are made of Cath Kidston fabrics (made by moi), I have wooden letters in her patterns spelling "Cake" stuck on the tiles above my sink, I have the Ikea version of her fabric (Rosali) as my living room curtains and front door curtain, CK fabric lampshades in the hall, landing and my daughters' bedroom, one of the oilcloth bags for when I'm travelling, my two daughters and my stepdaughter have CK bedlinen, also an ironing board cover, oven mitt and some of her fabric curtains in my stepdaughter's bedroom. My ex husband got custody of some of my old CK curtains and blinds that took me forever to save up for, but only cos he got the house and they were made to measure (by me and the ex mother in law).

Having said that I find some of her products very overrated e.g. my Mum had some CK slippers and the quality was terrible. The fabric and bedding are great quality and last and wash very well so I feel they are worth the money. I'm a girly girl who likes flowers and roses and spots and I'm not ashamed!!!!!!! I also like Boden dresses, when I can afford them. Will I be turned into an inactive member? ;)
  • Options
    CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I never understood was Habitat twigs in vases that people use to dust the steps in other countries!
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm just to northern for that sort of stuff.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I'm just to northern for that sort of stuff.

I think I agree, its a bit Cotswold, Southern Counties for me!:)
  • Options
    lola_skyelola_skye Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like lush, I don't visit their shops because of its overwhelming smell
  • Options
    mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    benjamini wrote: »
    I think I agree, its a bit Cotswold, Southern Counties for me!:)

See I'm from Wiltshire and now live in Buckinghamshire so I'm probably in the target zone ;)