Options

Leslie Phillips Widowed, RIP Angela Scoular

bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
Forum Member
✭✭
Former Bond girl and Actress Angela Scoular has died at the age of 65 she had been suffering from bowel cancer. She married comic actor Leslie Phillips in 1982. She also starred in You Rang Mlord in the late 80s early 90s as Lady Agatha Shawcross.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1376148/Police-investigating-Leslie-Phillipss-Bond-girl-wife-Angela-Scoular-dies.html

Rather cross with the DM though they make it sound sinister when its most likely shes sucummbed to the cancer.

RIP Anglea

Comments

• Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the death of Angela Scoular. wife of comedy actor Leslie Phillips.

She was never a great actress, being offered limited roles. But she did appear in two Bond films and the cult classic Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush with Judy Geeson and Barry Evans.

My thoughts are with her husband, family and friends during this sad time.
  • Options
    tartan18tartan18 Posts: 2,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Former Bond girl and Actress Angela Scoular has died at the age of 65 she had been suffering from bowel cancer. She married comic actor Leslie Phillips in 1982. She also starred in You Rang Mlord in the late 80s early 90s as Lady Agatha Shawcross.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1376148/Police-investigating-Leslie-Phillipss-Bond-girl-wife-Angela-Scoular-dies.html

Rather cross with the DM though they make it sound sinister when its most likely shes sucummbed to the cancer.

RIP Anglea

Yes the DM did make it sound sinister, mentioning the fact that the police were called.

I remember her from TV years ago, she was gorgeous and a bit posh. Never expected her to go before him, IIRC there was quite a fuss about the age gap when they married, and they lasted nearly 30 years

RIP
  • Options
    PhredPhred Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sun today says she dies after she was admitted to hospital after swallowing a toxic substance.

Having had relatives who went through bowel cancer I think I can understand her motives.

RIP
  • Options
    Lizzie60Lizzie60 Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    We have the DVD set of 'You Rang M'lord' She played Lady Agatha and was great in it. Very sad.
  • Options
    essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,210
    Forum Member
    She acted alongside Leslie in Doctor In Trouble. He must be devastated given his first wife died in a fire and his mother died not long after getting mugged IIRC
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Story's been updated, she took her own life as couldn't cope with the cancer anymore. So sad, poor woman. RIP.

Poor Leslie Phillips, he sounds so devastated. :(

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1376148/Police-investigating-Leslie-Phillipss-Bond-girl-wife-Angela-Scoular-dies.html#ixzz1JOKy5BJX
  • Options
    Forum Member
    She acted alongside Leslie in Doctor In Trouble. He must be devastated given his first wife died in a fire and his mother died not long after getting mugged IIRC
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh how horrible. The poor woman.

I hope Leslie has people around him. The great man is 86, and this will be a terrible blow for him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Will prob hit home next wednesday when he turns 87:(
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh how horrible. The poor woman.

I hope Leslie has people around him. The great man is 86, and this will be a terrible blow for him.

Poor Leslie. He's suffered a fair bit of tragedy. He lost his first wife in a house fire. :(
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Its true..."

as George Lazenby drops his kilt

I remember Angela giggling her way through On Her Majesties Secret Service with George Lazenby and Ilse Steppart. She was the only one of the 'Angels of Death' apart from Joanna Lumley who had any lines.

Lovely lady.
  • Options
    lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    As far as I am concerned, we should be allowed a simple painless injection when we want to die. The poor woman must have been at her wits end with pain to chose that method of suicide.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're right, Lemonbun. What a horrible mess Ms Scoular must have been in, to even consider such an awful way out.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of mine once attended a wedding where Leslie Phillips made a superb, hilarious speech. He said what a great guy he was to meet as well. R.I.P to his wife. My thoughts are with Leslie at this difficult time.
  • Options
    misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame:(

Reading in the DM article, that they waited until Leslie's first wife died and that Angela help care for her said a lot.

From what I can tell he comes across as a nice man, albeit with an eye for the ladies in the past, but we all have our flaws

RIP Angela, and I wish him well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    So sad to hear the circumstance of Angela Scoular's death. RIP. Alcoholism is a terrible thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14218733
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im also concerned for Leslie,"being too ill to attend court" I hope hes doing ok and its only a virus which has made him sick.
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hes a right old boy now, and this is a lot for him to take--I know that for about 2 years also, they had incessant building work going on next door to them in Maida Vale--wouldnt have helped the situation either.
  • Options
    MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have only just read the details of the tragic death of Angela Scoular. The inquest revealed the terribly sad circumstances behind her death.

Mental illness is more understood now than it was more than 30 years ago when it was a taboo subject. People avoided you like the plague if they thought you were a "bit nutty". I know, because I have been there myself.

Now there is more information and help available these days, people should get more support if they need it.

In Angela Scoular's case though, her illness was so severe, and the fact that she had been battling bowel cancer as well, did not help.

May she rest in peace now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched the program about Leslie tonight talking about his career. My heart broke for him when he said he was now lonely and still devastated about Angela's death. He tried so hard with her to help her beat her inner demons. IN 1992 he managed to get help in time when Angela attempted suicide for the first time.

He said that Angela was an Alcoholic for over 30 years. He tried to help her beat the drink but never could.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Didnt know anything about her but reading now she was stunning. Leslie did well there!:D Shouldnt really be surprised!

Such a sad story and you can totally understand her motives. I hope she is at peace now.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Watched the program about Leslie tonight talking about his career. My heart broke for him when he said he was now lonely and still devastated about Angela's death. He tried so hard with her to help her beat her inner demons. IN 1992 he managed to get help in time when Angela attempted suicide for the first time.

He said that Angela was an Alcoholic for over 30 years. He tried to help her beat the drink but never could.

For another painfully sad read, Barry Norman's account of dealing with his wife's death is truly heartbreaking.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, since this thread was created, he's had about two years to come to terms with her death. Hopefully the pain of her suicide gets easier as time goes by even further.
  • Options
    jack pattersonjack patterson Posts: 1,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, since this thread was created, he's had about two years to come to terms with her death. Hopefully the pain of her suicide gets easier as time goes by even further.

You obviously have no experience of a loss of a loved one then?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »

One of the sillier posts I've read on these boards by a long way, and considering the amount of silly posts on DS that's really saying something. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: