X Factor Winner Sam Bailey was Secretly Mentored by PR Guru Max Clifford

13»

Comments

• Options
    mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Or else some people know that, if he goes down, he'll be taking them with him

One can but hope :D
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So she met Max Clifford and she played a few gigs, half the people entering have gone to meet record execs etc before they have turned up on X factor. Did Max teach her to sing, did he pay for a vocal coach, or did he just encourage and advise , I would say its the latter . Unless we find out he had a team with their finger on redial voting then it was Sam who got through on merit, she sang each week and got the public vote, Max Clifford did not fix that

Every year the media try and sully the winner so no surprise that they are at it again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    You surely have to be kidding? Where is Chris now or Leanne from the voice . Even Subo is struggling with her latest album sales. Very few older contestants make it and even fewer than younger contestants!

Neither Chris nor Leanne had the background story she has. Are you saying that Syco can't make money out of an album of covers? Track record proves they don't care about the winner in the long term, just the money they can make from the first album, and they will make money from her first album. Subo is a completely different type of artist and is old news now. Why do you think they were calling Sam Screwbo? I'm not suggesting for a minute she will have a long term career...just that she will make money for them from her debut album, which is all they are really interested in right now as there long term priorities are One D and Little Mix.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    You could say the same of many an over that has appeared on the show before, though(but failed to build the necessary support to survive). They will, after all, have a lot more experience to draw on. The question remains, why Sam Bailey in this particular year?

Because she was consistantly good every single week. Nobody else in the live shows this year managed the same consistancy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johartuk wrote: »
    Because she was consistantly good every single week. Nobody else in the live shows this year managed the same consistancy.

You've missed my point. I'm asking why was she given producer help when other previous years overs, who were arguably as good, weren't?
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I thought that. As if anyone would go for an audition without making an effort with hair, makeup and clothes, especially the arena ones. They must have told her to look as plain as possible so we could all marvel at her transformation.

I thought that too, I think they wanted the Subo effect. It made her look at least 20 years older than she actually was too. If you went on TV you'd want to look your best not as if you're just popping out to the shops or something :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's all so incredibly manipulated and I see it this year more than ever. I wish more contestants would speak out about it but I guess theyre scared that if they do they would be committing career suicide.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmpfb wrote: »
    You've missed my point. I'm asking why was she given producer help when other previous years overs, who were arguably as good, weren't?

I don't think she had much producer help. She won because she was the best contestant in this year's live shows. If anything, it was Tamera who was being given help from the producers - and a fat lot of good it did. If anything, it proved the point that producer manipulation can only get a contestant so far.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singlefish wrote: »
    It's all so incredibly manipulated and I see it this year more than ever. I wish more contestants would speak out about it but I guess theyre scared that if they do they would be committing career suicide.

Really? I think they toned it down this year, after going all out on Baloney. They didn't bother with joke acts or controversial sing-off decisions.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Neither Chris nor Leanne had the background story she has. Are you saying that Syco can't make money out of an album of covers? Track record proves they don't care about the winner in the long term, just the money they can make from the first album, and they will make money from her first album. Subo is a completely different type of artist and is old news now. Why do you think they were calling Sam Screwbo? I'm not suggesting for a minute she will have a long term career...just that she will make money for them from her debut album, which is all they are really interested in right now as there long term priorities are One D and Little Mix.

I disagree. Of course they will make money from an album of covers They are a business in it to make money and I don't think they really are interested in making a quick buck as every one seems to think otherwise they could have just given every winner an album of covers and save a fortune on producers and writers. The only winner I can think of with an album of covers is Steve from the very first series. I don't know why winner's haven't done well but it isn't for the lack of money spent on them.

To have another Leona would be great for the label and the X Factor brand but so far it hasn't happened. Not for the winners anyway although Little Mix are doing well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    Really? I think they toned it down this year, after going all out on Baloney. They didn't bother with joke acts or controversial sing-off decisions.

Possibly. To tell the truth, I haven't really paid much attention in previous years. This year, however, I have really liked Nicholas and thought his treatment as weeks went on was appalling. I guess if you are invested in a particular contestant you are more likely to pick up on the manipulations...
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Difference between Sam and Chris, imo was Sam seems a very nice lady, Chris was so cheesy and fake sounding. Sam knew how to deliver a song and sing well whereas Chris just bellowed all the lyrics in that cabaret foghorn style of his. Utter crap.
  • Options
    sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Difference between Sam and Chris, imo was Sam seems a very nice lady, Chris was so cheesy and fake sounding. Sam knew how to deliver a song and sing well whereas Chris just bellowed all the lyrics in that cabaret foghorn style of his. Utter crap.

Sam is a bellower too though, since on the xfactor VOLUME = TALENT and MOAR VOLUME = MOAR TALENT. At least she mainly bellowed in tune, I guess.

I don't know what it is about Sam, I keep trying to tell myself that she's probably a perfectly nice person but I can't warm to her or like her in the slightest. And she bored me rigid after the first couple of weeks. Terrible winner, tedious contestant who ruined the series, imo.
  • Options
    earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sycamore wrote: »
    Sam is a bellower too though, since on the xfactor VOLUME = TALENT and MOAR VOLUME = MOAR TALENT. At least she mainly bellowed in tune, I guess.

I don't know what it is about Sam, I keep trying to tell myself that she's probably a perfectly nice person but I can't warm to her or like her in the slightest. And she bored me rigid after the first couple of weeks. Terrible winner, tedious contestant who ruined the series, imo.

Let's be honest, it was between Sam and Nicholas since Week 1 and this result is already good, given the circumstances. Maybe Luke could have given a fight if there were no sing-off in Week 9 (hence, no signal that he's damaged goods; given that he was actually very close, that meant the world).
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For me, I enjoyed her at the audition stage, but once she started belting out power ballad after power ballad on the live shows I lost interest. I only liked Hannah and Abi this year so I stopped watching once they both got the boot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    Let's be honest, it was between Sam and Nicholas since Week 1 and this result is already good, given the circumstances. Maybe Luke could have given a fight if there were no sing-off in Week 9 (hence, no signal that he's damaged goods; given that he was actually very close, that meant the world).

True, if Sam hadn't been there then it would have just been Nicholas running away with it on his own, though personally I far preferred Nicholas's voice to Sam's (despite the awful song choices, staging, etc). And it being game over before they even got to judges' houses is what ruined the show. The voting 'leaks' about Sam being so far ahead even when she actually wasn't all that far ahead were just hammering extra nails into the coffin.

You're right, the week 9 sing-off created that apparent gulf between Luke and the other two, even though in reality he was desperately close, and did help kill the final for him, though like a lot of his fans I was happier for him not to win. I do wonder if they expected/hoped Nicholas would be in the sing-off instead, which might have boosted Luke instead - there maybe was more overlap between their votes than I for one thought, since when Nicholas owned week 6 Luke ended up in the sing off when he didn't deserve to be there (despite the crap song, bloody elton john).
    For me, I enjoyed her at the audition stage, but once she started belting out power ballad after power ballad on the live shows I lost interest. I only liked Hannah and Abi this year so I stopped watching once they both got the boot.

Yes, I felt exactly the same about Sam. Dull dull dull. I don't understand who would vote for that.

I wish they'd allow proper bands in, not just vocal groups but 'real' bands doing real music instead of the same bland MOR stuff we get every year. It's maybe too late for that now though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish they'd allow proper bands in, not just vocal groups but 'real' bands doing real music instead of the same bland MOR stuff we get every year. It's maybe too late for that now though.

That would make for a great, but altogether different show. I can't think of any talent show that showcases 'real' bands?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singlefish wrote: »

That would make for a great, but altogether different show. I can't think of any talent show that showcases 'real' bands?

Neither can I, though I have some very vague hazy memory/delusion about there being some kind of 'battle of the bands' show on tv once, years ago, though possibly I just got confused with real life or something :confused:

I'd watch one if there was one though!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither can I, though I have some very vague hazy memory/delusion about there being some kind of 'battle of the bands' show on tv once, years ago, though possibly I just got confused with real life or something :confused:

I'd watch one if there was one though!

Do you mean Pop Stars The Rivals or was there another show I haven't heard of :confused:

This thread is going so off topic :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    Do you mean Pop Stars The Rivals or was there another show I haven't heard of :confused:

No, if it existed at all it was on channel 4 but tbh I'm pretty sure it was a figment of my imagination/a dream/something I thought someone should do. I'm pretty sure it didn't actually exist, sorry! :blush:
    This thread is going so off topic :p

*Looks shifty and tries to find someone else to blame...*
  • Options
    tony321tony321 Posts: 10,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam wins, ratings collapse, she doesn't sell a record and X Factor is going down the pan.

Cowell and Cole return, ratings rise, they have a new star already lined up to pimp through the show and all is well again.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    So basically the whole thing is a total farce.

They scout around, see who they what, make any arrangements necessary and then go through all those weeks and weeks of crap singers pretending that it is part of the real show. They have the ones they want already in place before the auditions start and then of course they go straight through.

And yet they have the nerve to take people's voting money and then still keep the power by having a judges vote that is also as corrupt as it gets.

This is not a talent show this is a show for Simon to promote act free of charge as ITV pay him to do so and then get the voting more as well. So one long freebie for Simon to get free promotion for acts he has already selected.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I think she did ultimately, she still had to get the votes and she did perform very well. She won because she was the best from everyone else in her year,

How do you know she was better than everyone who auditioned for the show? They only showed a few selected singers at the audition stage.
    They edited the show to highlight some acts and dismiss others. Do you remember Paul Acker? He had a much better voice than Sam's but didn't get through because "there was something missing" as Louis likes to say when making ambiguous excuses for not putting good singers through.
    The editing prior to the lives ensured Sam had weak competition. In previous years they could easily have called her a cruise ship entertainer and likened her to a Sami Brookes or Chris Maloney and no one would have batted an eyelid if she went out.

She did receive a huge amount of hyping and even had the VT of her ill gran in the final and all the tears. So she did have a sob story too.
  • Options
    ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So basically the whole thing is a total farce.

They scout around, see who they what, make any arrangements necessary and then go through all those weeks and weeks of crap singers pretending that it is part of the real show. They have the ones they want already in place before the auditions start and then of course they go straight through.

And yet they have the nerve to take people's voting money and then still keep the power by having a judges vote that is also as corrupt as it gets.

This is not a talent show this is a show for Simon to promote act free of charge as ITV pay him to do so and then get the voting more as well. So one long freebie for Simon to get free promotion for acts he has already selected.

Exactly this! Well said.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you know she was better than everyone who auditioned for the show? They only showed a few selected singers at the audition stage.
    They edited the show to highlight some acts and dismiss others. Do you remember Paul Acker? He had a much better voice than Sam's but didn't get through because "there was something missing" as Louis likes to say when making ambiguous excuses for not putting good singers through.
    The editing prior to the lives ensured Sam had weak competition. In previous years they could easily have called her a cruise ship entertainer and likened her to a Sami Brookes or Chris Maloney and no one would have batted an eyelid if she went out.

She did receive a huge amount of hyping and even had the VT of her ill gran in the final and all the tears. So she did have a sob story too.

I've been dipping into the pre-lives a little recently, with the benefit of hindsight. She really is presented as pretty much the best singer any of them have ever heard, but her dowdiness is highlighted and commented on.

And she is very good, albeit with absolutely nothing to distinguish her from other singers of her ilk aside from the mundane backstory and 'transformation' before our eyes - it's a perfect aspirational tale in the age of austerity.

Thing is, as good as she is, she's merely the best singer of her type, the diva-type belter, that we saw (as you pointed out). And what better way to highlight that fact than to put her through alongside two weaker singers in her category, both of whom are of the exact same type and then have Sharon wailing 'WHYYYYYY DOES IT ALWAYS HAPPEN TO MEEEE' when unsurprisingly they are the first two acts to be eliminated, conveniently highlighting how often entirely competent overs get overlooked for younger, fresher contestants and setting up the inevitable 'It's time an over won again' narrative arc.