"In science, the debate is ongoing"

dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
Forum Member
Creationism should be taught along side evolution.
Varying views on the age of the earth.
Varying views on if humans & dinosaurs co-existed.
Arguments put forward by climate-change deniers could be included in Science lesson plans.

Not to mention all those fine writers who almost got banned. Such an embarrassment in this day & age.

http://io9.com/an-anti-evolution-bill-in-ohio-almost-included-a-ban-on-1624450396/all

Comments

• Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    If this bill prevents the teaching of one side of a scientific debate presumably they will also have to teach the flat earth theory, the geocentric model of the universe, the caloric theory of heat, swallows over-winter at the bottom of ponds and so on.
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Creationism. .....funniest joke ever........move over Tim Vine.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear - there really is nothing quite so sad as total and utter stupidity.

No wonder over 40% of Americans are creationists.

Sigh.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I don't really get it.

I haven't read the details of this "HB 597" legislation but, on the face of it, the idea of legislation that would "prohibit political or religious interpretation of scientific facts" actually seems like a good idea to me. :confused:

Why are they getting all bent out of shape over it?

Seems like it'd just be a case of saying "Some people think that the Earth is only 2,000 years old (or whatever) but the existence of stuff like coal and lead easily refute that so now let's move on to discussing how scientists go about attempting to establish the age of the universe and the planet...."
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No room for the flying spaghetti monster?......:(
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe it's me but the only time in my lifetime that creationism ever got mentioned, until recently, was in some old black and white Spencer Tracey film.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The embracing of religion, fantasy and fable, the rejection of science, consensus and progress and to top it all off, climate change denial (UKIP also propose repealing laws which tackle climate change) and censorship of anything religion doesn't like which contradicts the words of the Bible.

The most concerning thing is that people who put fantasy before sense are in power.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The embracing of religion, fantasy and fable, the rejection of science, consensus and progress and to top it all off, climate change denial (UKIP also propose repealing laws which tackle climate change) and censorship of anything religion doesn't like which contradicts the words of the Bible.

The most concerning thing is that people who put fantasy before sense are in power.

Actually I very much doubt many politicians in the US actually believe in this creationist tosh (or even in God for that matter).

It is simply to garner votes from the sheeple.

No atheist will be elected President in the US in my lifetime.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    Actually I very much doubt many politicians in the US actually believe in this creationist tosh (or even in God for that matter).

It is simply to garner votes from the sheeple.

Is Hilary a lock for the Democrats? I still don't really believe America will elect a woman to the oval office.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not sure we've ever had an atheist or even agnostic Prime Minister.

I know Ed Milliband is Jewish, but not sure if he's a believer - wonder if that will be used against him if things get desperate next year?
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I don't really get it.

I haven't read the details of this "HB 597" legislation but, on the face of it, the idea of legislation that would "prohibit political or religious interpretation of scientific facts" actually seems like a good idea to me. :confused:

Why are they getting all bent out of shape over it?

Seems like it'd just be a case of saying "Some people think that the Earth is only 2,000 years old (or whatever) but the existence of stuff like coal and lead easily refute that so now let's move on to discussing how scientists go about attempting to establish the age of the universe and the planet...."

No it wouldn't be a case of that. The bill is about Creationists trying to get Creationism taught as if all the evidence wasn't showing that evolution took place. They want to "teach the controversy" in science classes when there is no controversy amongst scientists.

Of course "In science, the debate is ongoing" is always correct but you do have to base this on evidence and all the evidence shows that evolution did happen and that is what should be taught. Note that they aren't interested in teaching alternative theories to gravity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    No it wouldn't be a case of that. The bill is about Creationists trying to get Creationism taught as if all the evidence wasn't showing that evolution took place. They want to "teach the controversy" in science classes when there is no controversy amongst scientists.

Of course "In science, the debate is ongoing" is always correct but you do have to base this on evidence and all the evidence shows that evolution did happen and that is what should be taught. Note that they aren't interested in teaching alternative theories to gravity.

I wish they were - perhaps if they all jumped off some very tall buildings to prove that 'intelligent falling' is true we would not have to put up with such creationist bullshit in the comments section of just about every palaeontological news article on the net. :(
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    If I were a science teacher teaching what science is, I might be tempted to use creationism as an example of something that is not science.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    texas was created (as per mike moorcock spoof). god mad it flat for automobiles. but the usa east coast evolved just like the rest of our planet ......

funny how belief in religon has evolved over time .....
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    Creationism should be taught along side evolution.
    Varying views on the age of the earth.
    Varying views on if humans & dinosaurs co-existed.
    Arguments put forward by climate-change deniers could be included in Science lesson plans. ..................................

I find it interesting that you're proposing presenting different views on various topics, except for one.

Why not include the arguments of the climate-change fanatics?
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    Not sure we've ever had an atheist or even agnostic Prime Minister.

I know Ed Milliband is Jewish, but not sure if he's a believer - wonder if that will be used against him if things get desperate next year?

Clegg's atheist so if anything happened to Dave...

Milliband is a non-believer too.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lol. Debate within science is most definitely not ongoing. There are many things, scientists can't agree on. Evolution is not one of them.

I propose the Ancient Alien theory be taught in History Class. Aliens built the pyramids so they may fire microwave beams off into space!
    Teach the controversy!
  • StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrQuike wrote: »
    Maybe it's me but the only time in my lifetime that creationism ever got mentioned, until recently, was in some old black and white Spencer Tracey film.

I had a friend who was a member of one of those freaky churches. She believed in Creationism. It was like debating with jelly when we talked about it. We're not friends now as she decided my lifestyle wasn't to her taste and I refused all her efforts to be saved.
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In science, the debate never stops. That is the beauty of science. It is constantly looking to find new answers to old questions and expand upon answers to the questions we have already answered. That is how life in this universe should be, always questioning.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,265
    Forum Member
    In science, the debate never stops. That is the beauty of science. It is constantly looking to find new answers to old questions and expand upon answers to the questions we have already answered. That is how life in this universe should be, always questioning.

:confused: But these questions have been answered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: But these questions have been answered.

Technology changes, scientific methods change, humanity changes. Just because a question was answered 200 years ago, does not mean we cannot find new information now.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technology changes, scientific methods change, humanity changes. Just because a question was answered 200 years ago, does not mean we cannot find new information now.

With regards to evolution vs creationism specifically (which was the basis of this thread), I highly doubt evidence for young earth creationism will ever be found seeing as it's completely nonsensical and ridiculous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With regards to evolution vs creationism specifically (which was the basis of this thread), I highly doubt evidence for young earth creationism will ever be found seeing as it's completely nonsensical and ridiculous.

Well it is extremely unlikely that there will ever be evidence of creationist theory and I am far from a creationist but there is a reason evolution is still referred to as a theory. Who knows what evidence will appear 50, 100, 200 years from now? All I am saying is that the reason I love science is because theories are constantly evolving as new facts are discovered.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

...The Bible (add in Qu'ran) is busy enough contradicting itself!!!

However, we should never be arrogant enough to assume that there aren't new things to learn or that new paradigm shifts in what we do know (and apply) will never take place.