Options

Primeval New World (UK Pace)

I thought it was appropriate for this series to have a thread as it is brand new in the UK.

I have known about this series for quite some time and was really pleased that the Primeval universe was going to be expanded.

First thoughts on the first episode are that the initial story is good although possibly a little predictable, but I'll be happy to be surprised if the twist at the end of this episode isn't what I think !

The acting was possibly a little wooden but I hope this was just first episode nerves and that the cast grow into the roles, and from what I've heard from a Canadian friend they do.

I started watching via Sky+ about 20 minutes after the episode started and the sound was quite badly out of sync and voices were a lot lower in pitch than they should have been. Did anyone else have this problem ?

Am I the only one that is watching or is anyone else giving it a go ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope, Zort. I'm there with you buddy!

The original series was a big favourite of mine and happy that it's legacy has continued this way.

Also, I spent several weeks in Vancouver two years ago, so it's quite nice to see the new crew in areas that I actually visited. (My hotel was just across the street from the harbour murder scene!).
    Great city!

Looks promising, although I would have to agree with you about the woody acting and slightly stilted relationships.
    As you say, I'm sure that will improve.
    The SFX do look quality though, and it's surprisingly bloody.

I've avoided the US thread for the sake of non-spoilery.
    So looking forward to enjoying the show each week. :D
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep the other thread is best avoided there’s extensive discussion of the first eight episodes. Having watched these I can share:

The acting does get better, It will never be Shakespeare but it’s on par with the UK version.

The show does seem designed for a completely new audience with no knowledge of the British show. This does mean there’s a fair bit of background info to get across which can be quite annoying for those already well versed in “the universe”, and it does mean it’s got little in the way of “arc” to begin with

When first talked about much was made of this being a more adult version. This isn’t true again it’s on par with the UK version. The naughtiest it has gotten so far is
    The obligatory underwear shot
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it on Watch + 1. It was an OK start - it would have been better to have had a double biil to start with so you get familar with things faster.

Some of the acting was dodgy at times (including the bloke from our Primeval) but the effects were far superior to the British version.
  • Options
    zort70zort70 Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Glad to see there are some others that are watching as well.

@platelet I was watching one of the original first season episodes the other day and they were eye poppingly tiny in that episode !
  • Options
    Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pleasantly surprised that this was enough like a continuation of 'our' Primeval universe to not be a let down. And to have 13 episodes to look forward to in one go.

I like Canadian drama (they do Sci Fi especially well). So optimistic and they have said more crossovers are possible if they get a series 2 - but ratings over there and overseas sales need to be good for that to happen. Anyone know how this went or is this run likely to be the end of Primeval?

Also said a Watch exclusive so I assume no UK free to air screenings for ITV fans without pay TV?
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed first ep. Would be nice to see some of the cast from the uk one but apart from Connor in the first ep I don't think we will. Is it just me or did Evan get over the death of his friend pretty quick?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Think its good that Connor is the only one popping up so far. It will allow the viewer to accept these new guys in this world. That said I think Connor could have given them slightly more information! One thing that got on my nerves really quick was whenever they showed the HQ , it was sped up, and I found it really annoying and pointless, really small gripe though lol.
    Thought the SFX generally were actually better than our show, seemed sharper and more fluid in their movements.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first episode - glad there's some continuity between New World and the originals, and it also has Zack off Eureka! (always a plus) :)

What have I seen the English fella in before?

(Please don't say "Primeval", you know very well I mean the other English fella ;))
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zort70 wrote: »

@platelet I was watching one of the original first season episodes the other day and they were eye poppingly tiny in that episode !

The good old days before she got all coy :D
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member

I believe he was in Eastenders once upon a time :)

I loved this first episode...I'm just hoping they decide to explain the reasons in continuity change between New World and UK: Series 5 (the fact the anomalies were public news come the end of the British show) at some eventual point :)
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    Also said a Watch exclusive so I assume no UK free to air screenings for ITV fans without pay TV?
    Unfortunately not.:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I

(Please don't say "Primeval", you know very well I mean the other English fella ;))

He was in the BBC TV mini series Young James Herriot the Christmas before last.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually quiet enjoyed it, bit predictable in parts (older guy wasn't going to last long) but otherwise okay. I only discovered Primeval on Watch in the last year or so anyway so had no knowledge of the first few series so I'm happy to pick this up as a whole new program and having 'recaps' on certain things is useful for me but I can imagine annoying for those who've watched since the start.

I certainly won't delete the reminder yet, it kept me entertained to a certain extent and that's something at the moment. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it. It was good.Could have been better, but hopefully it will GET better as time goes on.

The older guy was the typical "I'm 2 days to retirement" type you see in movies, You just KNOW he's dead at some point:) hehe

And yes- Evan got over it pretty quick, One minute his 'best friend' is lying there dead, and he's cut up about it, the next he's trying to movie in on his colleague.

AS for the anomalies being public knowledge at the end. Maybe we will get an explanation. But if we don't, maybe we can just assume Connor went through one, came back, and ended up in a world that was virtually identical except for a few things ( the mega anomalies being one thing). A bit like what happened to Cutter early on maybe, and he just kept working for ARC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it. It was good.Could have been better, but hopefully it will GET better as time goes on.

The older guy was the typical "I'm 2 days to retirement" type you see in movies, You just KNOW he's dead at some point:) hehe

And yes- Evan got over it pretty quick, One minute his 'best friend' is lying there dead, and he's cut up about it, the next he's trying to movie in on his colleague.

AS for the anomalies being public knowledge at the end. Maybe we will get an explanation. But if we don't, maybe we can just assume Connor went through one, came back, and ended up in a world that was virtually identical except for a few things ( the mega anomalies being one thing). A bit like what happened to Cutter early on maybe, and he just kept working for ARC.

Yeah. I was puzzled about that. I thought that the last UK episode had established that this was now a known phenomena across the world? I kept expecting one of the cops investigating the corpses to say "well, it could have been a dinosaur. Like, you know, in the UK.". And initially I thought the "predator" cops were there to deal with that sort of thing. Oh well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ben Millerr would sort out the Canadian government! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did ITV ever let this go anyway?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did ITV ever let this go anyway?

Budget was too high for them, ratings weren't as large as they liked ...and most of all ... it wasn't the "X-Factor", "Take me out", or "Dancing on Ice" which is way easier for them to produce and get sponsored. :(
    Sad ... but there you go. Thems the facts.

If you don't believe me ... take a look at "Splash!".
    They'd sooner make cr*p like that! :mad:
  • Options
    LondonKiwiLondonKiwi Posts: 2,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the first episode - glad there's some continuity between New World and the originals, and it also has Zack off Eureka! (always a plus) :)

I think you mean Zane.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was in the BBC TV mini series Young James Herriot the Christmas before last.

Didn't watch that.
    I believe he was in Eastenders once upon a time :)

Erm... yes, probably there :)

LondonKiwi wrote: »
    I think you mean Zane.

That'll be it :o I have an awful memory, but it's not all bad - after about 2 years I can watch a film or read a book again and still not know what's going to happen ;)

Thanks all.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this on Watch? Does it have the huge, multi-coloured digital on-screen graphic? I watched previous series, but I've more or less decided to boycott Watch until they get rid of that DOG.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched this & I pretty much concur with much of what has been said already.

The acting needs improvement, but it wasn't the worst I've ever witnessed; I thought it looked great, almost film like with much better special effects than the UK version (which themselves were OK to be fair).

A decent start & a series I shall be sticking with.
  • Options
    elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Just watched and quite enjoyed! Had expected to be underwhelmed but I miss early Primeval and this had that sort of feel when Cutter and his team were just starting out.

This was similar but with a nice feel of continuity with Andrew Lee Potts and enough of an internal mystery to keep me interested in this new crew. Who is the frozen ARC member ? early days but my money is on an earlier 'Connor' (although it would make my year if it was a Cutter from another universe...I have a very soft spot for Douglas Henshall :o )

Anyway I give it 7/10 and look forward to next week. :)
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elven62 wrote: »
    Just watched and quite enjoyed! Had expected to be underwhelmed but I miss early Primeval and this had that sort of feel when Cutter and his team were just starting out.

This was similar but with a nice feel of continuity with Andrew Lee Potts and enough of an internal mystery to keep me interested in this new crew. Who is the frozen ARC member ? early days but my money is on an earlier 'Connor' (although it would make my year if it was a Cutter from another universe...I have a very soft spot for Douglas Henshall :o )

Anyway I give it 7/10 and look forward to next week. :)

Good points.

I love the fact there is continuity as I initially thought it was going to be a North American remake of the UK (& Ireland) series & I was worried that it might not be as good.

The fact that it continues in the Primeval universe is a good thing IMO.

I wouldn't mind seeing some more cameos from the original series too.

Here's hoping!!:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Is this an american version of our Primeval ?