How are you coping with Hurricane Bertha?

Terry NTerry N Posts: 5,262
Forum Member
There's just lots of rain in NI, like a monsoon. No wind. :)

Comments

• ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just arrived here. A little disappointing.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It isn't a hurricane. Just a bit of drizzle which is quite usual for August.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    I'm in a tent in Cheshire! Absolutely tipping it down! Been like that since about 6am!
  • MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    It's raining. I'll have to resort to wearing my hat when I go out shopping.
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very difficultly actually, we have holed ourselves up in the basement. The car blew away and the roof is somewhere near Norwich I think. Hopefully it'll be OK.
  • GoldengayerGoldengayer Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Chucking it down here, bit windy too.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rain has just started here but it's nothing to write home about really, same with the wind.

very muggy though. I've left my coat indoors though as I'm that hard .. heh :)
  • jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    Nothing going on up here (North East) just grey skies.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Typical the weekend I come to the coast it's shit weather!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to cope if I am being honest as I put out a full load of washing on the line and woke up to it being drizzled on this morning. Fed up to the back teeth with this extreme weather which used to be known as "summer".
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it's dry here, although I'm aware there is heavy rain in many other areas.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,907
    Forum Member
    It isn't a hurricane. Just a bit of drizzle which is quite usual for August.

While it's not a hurricane, it's definitely more than a bit of drizzle.
  • scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Well it's dry here, although I'm aware there is heavy rain in many other areas.

Many area's that remain anonymous on here.
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to cope if I am being honest as I put out a full load of washing on the line and woke up to it being drizzled on this morning. Fed up to the back teeth with this extreme weather which used to be known as "summer".

How on earth did you not know it was going to rain? The media has been banging on about this non-event for days now.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dry here too at the moment and hoping it holds out, having replacement windows fitted as we speak and there's two left to go. Sky looking very grey.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was quite a bit of rain last night. Was that it?....
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »
    How on earth did you not know it was going to rain? The media has been banging on about this non-event for days now.

Yes quite bizarre really. There have been weather warnings and it was all over the news.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »

I've not been able to watch TV as the wind picked up to 15mph which meant my Sky box signal was lost.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not much happening here is a little wind but not to bad yet.
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A weather expert chappy on BBC Breakfast says apparently as we're an island it's not possible for us get an actual hurricane, but we can get hurricane force winds.

Not quite sure exactly the difference if the strength of the wind can still be powerful enough to do serious structural damage, as in the great storm of 1987. Does it mean we'd never get the "eye" of the storm which presumably would be even worse?
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [QUOTE=Vernon Bennett;74177016]I'm struggling to cope if I am being honest as I put out a full load of washing on the line and woke up to it being drizzled on this morning. Fed up to the back teeth with this extreme weather which used to be known as "summer".[/QUOTE]

How on earth do you cope with a real life crisis :confused::D
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was quite a bit of rain last night. Was that it?....
    I'm in London and its just raining. No "hurricane winds" :o:o

They lied.
    Forum Member
    A weather expert chappy on BBC Breakfast says apparently as we're an island it's not possible for us get an actual hurricane, but we can get hurricane force winds.

Not quite sure exactly the difference if the strength of the wind can still be powerful enough to do serious structural damage, as in the great storm of 1987. Does it mean we'd never get the "eye" of the storm which presumably would be even worse?

Of course it's possible, there are islands that get hurricanes.
  • TidoshoTidosho Posts: 3,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We can't have a hurricane here. For that the sea temperature has to be a minimum of 23 degrees C and it never gets that around our coastline.

Doesn't stop us getting hurricane force winds though.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing here yet.