Would yopu tell a friend he or she has BO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The thing with this, is that she or he might be thinkiing the same about me. LOL. :D

Comments

• :manson::manson: Posts: 817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wouldn't be their friend tbh.
  • MidiboyMidiboy Posts: 8,263
    Forum Member
    I have done in the past - be discrete but firm. If they're unaware they have BO, they'll thank you for it.
  • BremalBremal Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    :manson: wrote: »
    I just wouldn't be their friend tbh.

it wont be their loss then by the sounds of it :rolleyes:
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup id tell them, I have no sense of smell so I would be happy to know in my case, although I do try extra hard to make sure I dont smell, and my friends say I never do, but I would still want to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would but I cannot stand it when one tactless individual decides to make a big public issue out of it and then individual ends up humiliated. A quiet word will suffice and I imagine many people will be grateful for the tip off.
  • GoodMikeyGoodMikey Posts: 2,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kratz22 wrote: »
    I would but I cannot stand it when one tactless individual decides to make a big public issue out of it and then individual ends up humiliated. A quiet word will suffice and I imagine many people will be grateful for the tip off.

embarrassment is what prevents it happening again.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoodMikey wrote: »

Not necessarily. Some people have medical problems in which case embarrassment would be the nastiest thing you could do to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    Do you go shopping with this friend? if so, wander over to the deod counter in Boots and casually ask which one they prefer? Same conversation could take place over a coffee if you can't get her to the shops.

We had a similar problem with someone at work, it got to the stage that no-one wanted to put their coats/macs on the clothes rail near the offending item, in the end the general manager had to take the person aside and offer to pay for the dry cleaning bill, cos the unpleasantness was disrupting the rest of the staff.:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The strange thing about BO, is that you can shower, perspire, and smell an half an hour later.

Doesn't mean you don't wash. So, it's difficult.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 47
    Forum Member
    tell her by text. might be easier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    My best mate and I have agreed its better to know if you smell. So we both tell each other quietly if there's a problem; its not embarrasing being told you smell by someone you trust. It's not really a big issue
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GoodMikey wrote: »

Perhaps but it can be done without humiliation. A quiet word one to one will suffice. I have seen it done to people very publicly and in a large group by tactless individuals. That is a terrible thing to do to someone.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tell them.

Not with BO, as we have never suffered with that, but myself and the wife tell each other if their breath smells of garlic etc (feels a bit harsh at 1st, but I'd prefer to know).

Better have some more mints, as my breath prob stinks this morning as I had a curry last night.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the best approach tho? I mean is it better to pull them to one side and say "Erm, you sorta smell love" or is it better to take a rather comical approach and say something like "Whew... is that you or me?!", making a fanning jesture near your nose and then smelling your own armpits. Perhaps that might then prompt the other person to smell theirs and it might be less harsh? Or would it be worse?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,683
    Forum Member
    Well, I've always said that I would tell a friend if they're smelly but the situation has arisen a few times with a friend who lived with me and unfortunately I can't ever tell her as I just don't know how too.

Another friend has mentioned it to me before but neither of us know how to approach the situation - I feel bad cause obviously that's what friends are for but it's difficult - especially as she knows she sweats but often points out that she doesn't smell..

I've made hints of deodorant but I know that she does use it anyway, it's a tricky one.:o
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could do it with a note I suppose? Easier than a face to face thing. At least then she can go bright red in private.
    Forum Member
    Could do it with a note I suppose? Easier than a face to face thing. At least then she can go bright red in private.
    Oh I dunno, we're so close otherwise that sending a note would seem odd... then again, ignoring the situation is even worse, isn't it?:o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 390
    Forum Member
    *Em* wrote: »
    Well, I've always said that I would tell a friend if they're smelly but the situation has arisen a few times with a friend who lived with me and unfortunately I can't ever tell her as I just don't know how too.

Another friend has mentioned it to me before but neither of us know how to approach the situation - I feel bad cause obviously that's what friends are for but it's difficult - especially as she knows she sweats but often points out that she doesn't smell..

I've made hints of deodorant but I know that she does use it anyway, it's a tricky one.:o

When she tells you she doesn't smell, surely that would be a perfect time to quietly say something along the lines of "actually I'm afraid sometimes you do"

I think most people would like to know as long as they're being told out of earshot of anyone else and in a way that it's obvious that it is help and not mocking.
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he would. Yopu is good at this type of stuff - he's firm but also fair. I think he'd be able to do it in such a way that the friend wouldn't get too upset. He's a good guy, Yopu.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would rather know.

The weird thing is, we can rarely smell ourselves as others smell us.
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the guy who i sit next to in work smells every day. not of BO, but like he hasn't had a shower in the morning. It's like the musty sleep smell you get when you just wake up. It's proper gross and makes me feel sick. Any tips on how I could approach this?
  • UltrasonicUltrasonic Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhino Horn wrote: »
    Any tips on how I could approach this?

With a peg on your nose.
    Forum Member
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    I think he would. Yopu is good at this type of stuff - he's firm but also fair. I think he'd be able to do it in such a way that the friend wouldn't get too upset. He's a good guy, Yopu.
    I like Yopu too - I think I need some tips off Yopu as to how I should tell my friend.

*goes to give Yopu a call*:D

Kris: Yeah, I suppose you're right - I just feel cruel though, she doesn't constantly smell, it's only now and again but when she has done, I don't have the nerve to tell her!:(
  • Rhino HornRhino Horn Posts: 1,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ultrasonic wrote: »
    With a peg on your nose.

i'm actually sitting here with my fingers on my nose cos i feel so sick.