Options

The All Singing, All Dancing Remade Charlie and the Chocolate Factory Thread.

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    I've just seen it myself and thought it was excellent. I'm afraid I didn't like the Oompa's songs at all. The lyrics were the only part that make them bearable. I'm really surprised that despite the music being written by, and the song song by Danny Elfman, they still failed totally. I also don't like the Oompa Loompas being clones. I also didn't like the over-Americanisation of the script, and felt the subplot with Wonka's father was un-necessary, but admittedly well done.

However Johnny Depp was brilliant, Freddie Highmore as Charlie was as good as I expected (having seen him with Depp in Finding Neverland), and the other 4 kids were just as annoying as they should be :). Oh and the music apart from the Oompa Loompa numbers is well up to Elfman's usual standards!
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im going at 9.

Can't wait!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Dahl hated 1971 version. As it was nothing like the book. Hated it so much he would not let them make the glass elevator sequel

True.

and the other thing about the 1971 version was that it was produced in association with Quaker Oats to promote their line of Wonka chocolate.... which they abandoned before launch
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was better then the original.
  • Options
    SchoolboySchoolboy Posts: 2,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Burton's been underperforming for a while. Big Fish was not quite as good as it should have been and CATCF is a solid 3 stars out fo 5. The words to the Oompa Loompa songs aren't clear, there's a general lack of emotion throughout and Charlie is too saintly.

Just doesn't cut it.

Schooly
  • Options
    RodriguezMan267RodriguezMan267 Posts: 28,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it....i saw it last night

The oompa loompa songs were so funny and much more fun then the first film

Johnny Depp was amazing and all 5 kids were brillant.

I'm going again tmorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kyri wrote:
    I loved it....i saw it last night

The oompa loompa songs were so funny and much more fun then the first film

Johnny Depp was amazing and all 5 kids were brillant.

I'm going again tmorrow.

Me too!! :D:D
  • Options
    *Clem**Clem* Posts: 4,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw it yesterday. I definitely prefered it to the original. I never liked the original, the book was so much better!

I thought this remake was well made, funny, and good acting from all the cast.

Johnny Depp certainly made a very interesting Willy Wonka! Very comical, and original.

The Oompa Loompa songs were very funny, but not memorable like the original ones.

But I found the film entertaining, definitely worth seeing!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the songs, but the lyrics were in-audible apart from the first line or 2. They should have subtitled them like the 1971 version did. Unless it's a ploy to get us all to buy the book to find out what the Oompa Loompas were singing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just come back from seeing it

Well, what can I say? It was, to be frank, the oddest film I have ever seen. I felt like I was on acid or something

The whole film seemed rather random, badly acted (very wooden) and strange.
    I couldnt understand the point of the flashbacks. Couldnt understand a word of what the oompa loompas were singing. We hardly saw any of Charlie in the factory!

I detested the Oompa loompas. I couldnt stand that they were all clones. They're meant to be a race of people! It made me feel quite uncomfortable watching them/him. Very annoying!

I am a huge fan of Johnny Depp. I found him really entertaining, funny, but I felt like he drifted in and out of character at times. Sometimes I thought he was spot-on, sometimes I found it very hard to believe that he owned a factory and the whole situation seemed a bit immature for an actor of his abilities. To me he didnt seem convinced himself that this was 'good'.

It was entertaining and funny and colourful, but I felt that Tim Burton failed miserably on this one. It had so much potential but I think that he tried too hard. It was like 'lets fit as many gimmicks in as we can'.
    Grandpa Joe jumping out of bed didnt seem spontaneous at all, and quite half hearted. Either do it with great difficulty (as a man would after being in bed for years) or be uncontrollably hyper. I spent a lot of time watching thinking 'yeah, and?'

Another criticism is that it was too American. I'm not saying that it should have been very British, but all the 'candy' and the 'taffy stretcher' and dollars etc. I wish they would have left it open to some interpretation.

I cant understand how people can say that this was more faithful to the book. Sure, it was back to squirrels and not geese. But all the flashbacks, and Wonka refusing to take the family (let alone being able to say the word 'parents :rolleyes: ) seemed way too off plot for me

Its a shame. I was really looking forward to this film, seeing as Johhny is Depp is my favourite actor, Burton my favourite Director and Roald Dahl my favourite childhood author. I was interested, bemused and humoured throughout, but cant say it worked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I flipping LOVED it. I lurrrrvvedd it! I loved the kookiness and creepiness of it and I came about buzzing. You know when you go and see a really fantastic film like that and you come out the cinema and your heads spinning? Well that's just how I felt and when I came home I put Family Affairs on but even something as benial and light as that couldn't bring me back to earth. Also is it me, or is there something strangley sexy about Mr Wonka? I mean Johnny Depp's one of the world's most beautiful men anyway but there's some thing about him as Willy Wonka, with his quirky voice, long velvet coat and gloves, that makes me want to run up and down the street covered in chocolate screaming the Willy Wonka theme tune at the top of my voice. GREAT film-go and see it now, for kids but not for kidsxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Count me as one of the few who actually really didn't like Depp's interpretation of Willy Wonka. This was one of my main peeves about the film - it seemed to me Depp was trying so hard to come across as weird and eccentric that the whole performance seemed rather forced and contrived. I didn't believe for a second that he really had a passion for chocolate or a genius of a chocolatier - he just seemed out of place, awkward and riddled with insecurities.

Not to mention the poorly written Wonka backstory which is completely unfaithful to the book and contributes nothing to the main storyline. And the reunion with his father lacked any sort of emotional punch after Depp's odd, detached portrayal. I could not sympathise one bit.

Also disliked the Oompa Loompa clones. Did they even use Dahl's original lyrics? I don't think they did, well to be honest, I couldn't even make out what they were singing half the time. The use of different musical genres was really unneccessary, lacked continuity and the choreography unimaginative.

Burton's visuals are of course stunning but it takes a lot more to make a great film. It lacked magic and heart, and I agree with the poster who said it was just going through the motions. Really nothing special, and very disappointing.
  • Options
    Cloud StrifeCloud Strife Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me as one of the few who actually really didn't like Depp's interpretation of Willy Wonka. This was one of my main peeves about the film - it seemed to me Depp was trying so hard to come across as weird and eccentric that the whole performance seemed rather forced and contrived. I didn't believe for a second that he really had a passion for chocolate or a genius of a chocolatier - he just seemed out of place, awkward and riddled with insecurities.
    Like the original film had this to :D

Not to mention the poorly written Wonka backstory which is completely unfaithful to the book and contributes nothing to the main storyline.
    The original was more off the book then this one

And the reunion with his father lacked any sort of emotional punch after Depp's odd, detached portrayal. I could not sympathise one bit.

Also disliked the Oompa Loompa clones. Did they even use Dahl's original lyrics? I don't think they did, well to be honest, I couldn't even make out what they were singing half the time. The use of different musical genres was really unneccessary, lacked continuity and the choreography unimaginative.

Burton's visuals are of course stunning but it takes a lot more to make a great film. It lacked magic and heart, and I agree with the poster who said it was just going through the motions. Really nothing special, and very disappointing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also disliked the Oompa Loompa clones. Did they even use Dahl's original lyrics? I don't think they did, well to be honest, I couldn't even make out what they were singing half the time. The use of different musical genres was really unneccessary, lacked continuity and the choreography unimaginative..

The songs were written by Roald Dahl (you obviously didn't stay to watch the beginning of the credits!) and were those in the book. BUt as I said above I agre that I couldn't always make out what the lyrics were in the cinema.

The use of diffrent types of music was an excellent idea.... just look at all the diffrent Oompa Loompa visual jokes during each of the songs.... having the same style every time wouldn't have allowed for that.

I really liked the way that the Oompa Loompa songs took place before the child (or just their parent in the case of veruca) had left the room, thus taunting them
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The songs were written by Roald Dahl (you obviously didn't stay to watch the beginning of the credits!) and were those in the book. BUt as I said above I agre that I couldn't always make out what the lyrics were in the cinema.

The use of diffrent types of music was an excellent idea.... just look at all the diffrent Oompa Loompa visual jokes during each of the songs.... having the same style every time wouldn't have allowed for that.

I really liked the way that the Oompa Loompa songs took place before the child (or just their parent in the case of veruca) had left the room, thus taunting them

Completely agree with that... and Johnny Depp dancing along to them made me howl... so funny!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this last night and absolulty loved it!!! i was never a fan of hte orignial version but with this one being made by Tim Burton i was sooo looking forward to it and iwasnt dissapointed one bit!
  • Options
    cloverclover Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Went to see it last night with 3 others and we all left thinking it was just excellent. Johnny Depp was amazing as Willy Wonka, and reminded me more of the book's Willy (even Quentin Blake's illustrations looked like the Willy Wonka Johnny Depp portrayed)...

Obviously this will be compared to the original film, but in fairness it shouldn't be as the original film wasn't an accurate interpretation of the book, and this isn't a remake of THAT film, it's another interpretation of the original book. Willy Wonka's character in the original film is nothing like that in the book... he IS aloof, detatched and manic in the book, and Johnny Depp got that across perfectly... His amazement at what he was seeing in his own factory was also a joy to see.

I didn't think i'd like the Oompa-Loompa's all being played by the same person, but I thought they were so good. Their songs cracked me up every time, as did Johnny Depp's reactions to them. He was laugh out loud funny throughout the whole film.

There were some excellent visuals, too. The whipped cream one was so bizarre it was hilarious. The boat ride through the chocolate river was stunning

The fact that squirrels were used instead of geese (as in the book), that there was no awful Slugworth backstory (as in the book), and that all the original characters were as they should be makes this film a huge hit for me, and hopefully I'll go to see it again before it's released on dvd.

Agree with all this. The only bit where I thought the Wilder version was better was the very spooky poem in the boat on the chocolate river, which is missing from this one (though Depp's Willy Wonka is more childlike and less menacing than Wilder so I think it's fair):

There's no earthly way of knowing / Which direction we are going / There's no knowing where we're rowing / Or which way the river's flowing / Is it raining? / Is it snowing? / Is a hurricane a-blowing? / Not a speck of light is showing / So the danger must be growing / Are the fires of hell a-glowing? / Is the grisly reaper mowing? / Yes, the danger must be growing / 'Cause the rowers keep on rowing / And they're certainly not showing / Any signs that they are slowing.
  • Options
    oblivianoblivian Posts: 4,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really didnt think i would like this fim at all seeing as i cant stand Tim Burton or Johhny Depp but i have to say that i really loved it. Avoided it at the cinema but bought the DVD for the brats and we all watched it as a family tonight.
    Cracking film, very funny, lots of clever touches and very well shot.
    Cant believe more people dont love it to be honest but there you go.
  • Options
    supermanexpresssupermanexpress Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I saw this film earlier tonight on ITV1, and I loved it when Veruca Salt got thrown down the hole by the squirrels when she annoyed them! :D My least favorite part is the parts when the Oompa Loompas start singing, not just when Veruca Salt gets thrown down the hole by the squirrels, but also in any other parts of the movie! :yawn: Other than that, I really enjoyed watching the movie! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 308
    Forum Member
    I've always hated the '71 version as it bared very little resemblance to the book, which was one of my favourites as a child.

CATCF on the other hand was spectacular - and a far more faithful adaptation of Dahl's work. I also thought Johnny Depp was fantastic as Willy Wonka and played the absolute hell out of the role. The only thing I didn't like was the backstory with Wonka's father. It wasn't in the book and I don't think it really needed to be in the film. Dahl didn't give us a reason for Wonka's craziness, but I think Burton felt we needed one. I also didn't like the Americanisations either - like referring to chocolate bars as candy bars, and so on, but aside from that, everything else was spot on.

I'm always really surprised to hear anyone say that they prefer the original, but then I realise that it's usually because they hadn't ever read the book, and so are watching it purely as a film, and not as an adapation.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    Mr Blonde wrote: »
    Johnny Depp was a huge letdown as Willy Wonka as he failed in his bid to eclipse Gene Wilder's performance...he used the wrong accent...his hair looked a mess and he played the character too dark...in summary it was embarrassing from start to finish and I will not be watching this film ever again...

His hair believe it or not was a copy of Anna Wintour. The one thing it wasn't was out of place.