The 2022 Host is......

The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
Forum Member
Just announced as Durban, South Africa. Indeed the only candidate!

Comments

• grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, it is in the same time zone as the UK! No inconvenient late nights or early mornings for us fans.
  • wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems as though there will not be a Birmingham bid in 2026.
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news, it is in the same time zone as the UK! No inconvenient late nights or early mornings for us fans.

That's exactly what I thought!! There will be a couple of hours difference perhaps - and it will be in our winter, does anyone know the dates?

EDIT just checked and in our summer there's an hour's difference they are an hour on as they are in Spain! - so add or subtract GMT I haven't a clue (are they on winter time??? :confused::D

But....will they ban Vuvuzellas?? >:(>:(
  • The MatrixThe Matrix Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    The Net wrote: »
    Just announced as Durban, South Africa. Indeed the only candidate!

I wonder what would happen if no one bidded. Would the UK/England get it by default?
    :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Matrix wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen if no one bidded. Would the UK/England get it by default?
    :o
    I suppose there's no reason why a country outside the Commonwealth couldn't host it; as long as they took part as *guest* - let's face it, Australia entered the ESC!. But at worst maybe for one particular year events could be spread throughout, eg Swimming (London) Hockey (Glasgow) Gymnastics (Sydney) etc etc.
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2026. I think Canada.
    2030 Centenary. Britain. Last held in London 1934, would the anniversary appeal to London Or would 2034 be better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do seem obsessed with London having a Commonwealth Games.

But what about Birmingham? If Manchester, and Glasgow can host successful Commonwealth Games, than I easily think that Birmingham can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The centenary games - could be an idea if it were spread around so that places that couldn't hold a full event could hold key parts of it. ie cycling; Isle Of Man, hockey Gibraltar etc etc.

Means there's no all-in athletes village and it would be difficult to have them all at an opening/closing ceremony though.
  • Corrie_Fan2Corrie_Fan2 Posts: 1,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do seem obsessed with London having a Commonwealth Games.

But what about Birmingham? If Manchester, and Glasgow can host successful Commonwealth Games, than I easily think that Birmingham can.

Newcastle/Gateshead could host it, and borrow a few venues from Sunderland.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Newcastle/Gateshead could host it, and borrow a few venues from Sunderland.

Add in Durham too and that could be possible.

The biggest problem a North East Games would have is the lack of hotel capacity which is something that Glasgow badly suffered from - I had to stop in Edinburgh.

Maybe also a joint bid from Cardiff and Swansea.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liverpool considering a bid for 2026
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-36941921

Could you fit an athletics track inside Anfield?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well he is a candidate in an election.

With regards to Birmingham, the bid seemed to have died in 2013, but recently seems to have some interest going again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he is a candidate in an election.

With regards to Birmingham, the bid seemed to have died in 2013, but recently seems to have some interest going again.

Birmingham would make more sense as they have more of the facilities and infrastructure already in place and it's a city which could do with improving its image around the world.
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a possibility that Durban 2022 will not happen.
    South Africa were today warned that they have less than two months to meet a series of conditions or Durban will be stripped of the 2022 Commonwealth Games.

Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF) President Louise Martin told the General Assembly here that South African officials must fulfill its contractual obligations by November 30 or they will lose the event.

Full story