Options

Do yellow cards get carried over in Euro 2016?

SepangBlueSepangBlue Posts: 4,848
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not a regular soccer fan so forgive the question ...

If a player is awarded a yellow card during any of the current group matches, is it carried forward to subsequent games so that, if they get another yellow, it would add up to a red, resulting in a sending off?

Also, if a player is red carded, how many subsequent games does he miss, if any?

Comments

• Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dunno specifically for this tournament, but usually they get wiped off after the group stage.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soccer ? You mean football dear boy :)

They get carried over until the quarter finals when the slate is wiped clean
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Soccer ? You mean football dear boy :)

They get carried over until the quarter finals when the slate is wiped clean

Nothing wrong with calling it soccer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing wrong with calling it soccer.

Quite right. Now back to UESA Euro 2016. In two years we have the FISA World Cup and of course the SA Cup Final at Wembley :D

Soccer seems to be favoured by Americans and Sky Sports Saturday show name makers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quite right. Now back to UESA Euro 2016. In two years we have the FISA World Cup and of course the SA Cup Final at Wembley :D

Soccer seems to be favoured by Americans and Sky Sports Saturday show name makers.

It's just a different name for the sport, I don't know why you are getting so worked up about it, it is a British word after all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just a different name for the sport, I don't know why you are getting so worked up about it, it is a British word after all.

Not getting worked up at all dear boy, hence the smilies and the big grin. You need to not take everything so seriously.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The word Soccer, I believe, has its origins in the name Association Football, by which of course we mean the round ball game. If, like me, you went to a school that played Rugger (Rugby Union Football) and Hockey, but not Soccer, you'd be more inclined to use the differentiating word rather than the blanket term 'Football'.

As for the Americans .. they, of course, have their own wimpish version of Rugby Union Football, which they call simply 'Football', only for their game the poor loves feel the need for a load of armour to stop themselves getting hurt! (I wonder how they'd fare against proper Rugby players?). When Association Football took off over there, they called it Soccer to differentiate the two sports.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    SepangBlue wrote: »
    The word Soccer, I believe, has its origins in the name Association Football, by which of course we mean the round ball game. If, like me, you went to a school that played Rugger (Rugby Union Football) and Hockey, but not Soccer, you'd be more inclined to use the differentiating word rather than the blanket term 'Football'.

As for the Americans .. they, of course, have their own wimpish version of Rugby Union Football, which they call simply 'Football', only for their game the poor loves feel the need for a load of armour to stop themselves getting hurt! (I wonder how they'd fare against proper Rugby players?). When Association Football took off over there, they called it Soccer to differentiate the two sports.

If you knew anything at all about American Football you would know it's far more dangerous than Rugby. Look up CTE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you knew anything at all about American Football you would know it's far more dangerous than Rugby. Look up CTE.

I remember two American Footballers coming to train with Hull KR in the 80s. They went home after a week, said it was too physical for them without the pads
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember two American Footballers coming to train with Hull KR in the 80s. They went home after a week, said it was too physical for them without the pads

Different game though isn't it? I imagine rugby players would soon flee the NFL when they realised what tackles were legal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Different game though isn't it? I imagine rugby players would soon flee the NFL when they realised what tackles were legal.

Give me rugby league any day
  • Options
    ianlawnianlawn Posts: 1,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If a player is awarded a yellow card during any of the current group matches, is it carried forward to subsequent games so that, if they get another yellow, it would add up to a red, resulting in a sending off?

Also, if a player is red carded, how many subsequent games does he miss, if any?

Things are always easy to google

A player is automatically suspended for the next match for the following offences

Receiving a red card (red card suspensions may be extended for serious offences)
    Receiving two yellow cards in two different matches; yellow cards expire after the completion of the quarter-finals (yellow card suspensions are not carried forward to any other future international matches)
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To answer your question ( as the thread seems to have gone in another direction): If a player gets two yellow cards in different games up to the quarter-finals, they get a one game ban (but not a sending off). After the quarter finals, cards are rescinded. The only way to miss the final is by getting a red in the semi.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    carnoch04 wrote: »
    To answer your question ( as the thread seems to have gone in another direction): If a player gets two yellow cards in different games up to the quarter-finals, they get a one game ban (but not a sending off). After the quarter finals, cards are rescinded. The only way to miss the final is by getting a red in the semi.

And that's the crucial bit!

Thanks to you and others who have explained the penalty card rules.

Iceland for the final, anyone? :D