Options

Favourite place in England?

Comments

• Options
    falko89falko89 Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Airport out of it:D I've only been in England once but really liked North Yorkshire, some beautiful country up there.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    where's that beautiful stretch of railway line that virtually runs alongside the beach - somewhere on the south coast (Devon or Cornwall?) I remember once taking that trip and the scenery blew my breath away!

Dawlish Sea Wall between Exeter, Teignmouth and Newton Abbot. In Devon not Cornwall. :p

Good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6cKjznV1Kk

Not so good. :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEPEfNQO3nY
  • Options
    GuapaGuapa Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the UK, in no particular order
    The Highlands
    Edinburgh
    The Lakes
    York
    Harrogate
    The Peak district
    Cornwall
    London
  • Options
    Madam PresidentMadam President Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    York. I could never tire of it. I love the Castle Museum and Jorvik, and walking through the pretty streets on a pleasant day always cheers me up. The cat trail is fun. :)
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Franglais wrote: »
    where's that beautiful stretch of railway line that virtually runs alongside the beach - somewhere on the south coast (Devon or Cornwall?) I remember once taking that trip and the scenery blew my breath away!

I expect you're thinking of the south coast of Devon. Not just close to the sea but also stunning rock formations in that very distinctive red Devon earth
  • Options
    Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    The same applies to grockles on the way to Cornwall, who have a hard on for the place, passing through Devon on the way via the A38, when Devon has near equal coastal scenery and is vastly better for scenery inland than Cornwall.

Yes, even though I was born in Cornwall and lived there for 28 years, Devon has far better scenery. From stunning sea cliffs on the north coast to the instantly recognisable wilderness of Dartmoor. Cornwall is now over-developed and has been taken over by bastard Londoners (apols if you are from London;)). BTW we call them emmets in Cornwall, not grockles.
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guapa wrote: »
    In the UK, in no particular order
    The Highlands
    Edinburgh

The Lakes
    York
    Harrogate
    The Peak district
    Cornwall
    London

I don't think the first two on your list qualify as England.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    London, theres so much to do and see
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Lindisfarne, York, Wensleydale and Alnwick... Kendal's quite nice too!

(I don't have anything against the south of England, by the way... but I've not really been there, except for a brief trip to London one day :p)
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    The Lizard, Cornwall
  • Options
    wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably Lindisfarne, York, Wensleydale and Alnwick... Kendal's quite nice too!

(I don't have anything against the south of England, by the way... but I've not really been there, except for a brief trip to London one day :p)

Keswick is much nicer than Kendal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wallster wrote: »
    Keswick is much nicer than Kendal.

It looks nice on Google Street View... I'll have to give it a visit one day!
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Bank, London.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Yes, even though I was born in Cornwall and lived there for 28 years, Devon has far better scenery. From stunning sea cliffs on the north coast to the instantly recognisable wilderness of Dartmoor. Cornwall is now over-developed and has been taken over by bastard Londoners (apols if you are from London;)). BTW we call them emmets in Cornwall, not grockles.

Don't worry, I'm not from London, but have visited hundreds of times, as I live nearby. I call re-locating bastard Londoners ignorant townies. Many have moved to Devon and Cornwall and since they are in general over moneyed, house prices in certain areas have gone through the roof, yet these same people have little idea of countryside ways.

As for tourists, Devon and particularly Cornwall hasn't got the infrastructure to cope frankly, road or rail wise. There is only the one main rail link and Dawlish Sea Wall is constantly under attack from the elements, which is why there is pressure to re-establish the rail link between Okehampton/Meldon and Tavistock/Bere Alston/Bere Ferrers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exeter_to_Plymouth_railway_of_the_LSWR
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm keeping my favourite places to myself. I really don't want to see a lot of peculiar forum people hanging round next time I visit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    North and West Yorkshire
    The Lake District
    The Peak District, especially Edale (like others earlier!)
    Northumberland
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have to say either Ambleside & Grasmere or Seahouses and Amble on the Northumberland coast.

Oh yes, Northumberland Coast. I love Warkworth and Bamburgh. I do love the market town Alnwick, I need to go back to Barter Books.

I love Dungeness, it feels like stepping onto a different planet and further up the North kent coast, Deal,Whitsable, Broadstairs. I love the Spitfire Museum at Manston Airport.
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Otto J wrote: »
    I'm keeping my favourite places to myself. I really don't want to see a lot of peculiar forum people hanging round next time I visit.

Ah Go on.
  • Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rednell wrote: »
    The Lakes are lovely, but I also love the Peak District and the little towns like Bakewell.

Yes, I love Derbyshire. My son got married in Bakewell and they had a marquee on farm nearby. It was a fab day. :)
  • Options
    pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    Yes, I love Derbyshire. My son got married in Bakewell and they had a marquee on farm nearby. It was a fab day. :)
    Haven't you ever visited Matlock? That seems to me like a beautiful place to visit, and I went to Matlock for a weeks holiday back in August 2007.
  • Options
    Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Lake District
    Kielder Forest
    Yorkshire Dales
  • Options
    chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    London is a good city to do whatever you want to. Apart from London, I like Bath, and Lake Districts
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    falko89 wrote: »
    The Airport out of it:D I've only been in England once but really liked North Yorkshire, some beautiful country up there.

The best.:D Esp the bits we don't tell the tourists about. View out of my window this morning is pretty stunning (trees, river, and The Big Sky).

That said, Northumberland beaches are pretty great, as is the Lake District.
  • Options
    cbe21okcbe21ok Posts: 3,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Must admit i have a soft spot for Keswick too, went there quite a lot as a kid and still remember those days very well.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The North Yorkshire Moors, The Lakes , The Dales , Anywhere there aren't a lot of people , so i can just amble along and find peace and quiet :cool: