August osage county Julia and Meryl

Craig83maCraig83ma Posts: 49
Forum Member
Can't wait to see these to together - looks like its going to be a right treat judging by this clip

http://youtu.be/cYD8jRmlWE0

Comments

• LMLM Posts: 63,477
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been eager for this since last year. I really can't wait
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm intrigued to see this - it's got lukewarm reviews in the US, but it's got a stellar cast (and I love Meryl Streep in general), so I'll be going to see it anyway, even if it turns out to be less brilliant than I expected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this will be a big comeback for Julia. She hasn't made a decent film since her Oscar win imo.
  • Craig83maCraig83ma Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    I thought the reviews had been pretty favourable for the film. But yeah, I haven't seen a bad review yet for the performances!!
    As for Julia - I loved mirror mirror and duplicity is overlooked. It's a great film.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the reviews have been as raving as everyone expected - I think it was meant to be a prime Oscar contender (especially given it's Weinstein-backed), but it's nowhere in most predictions lists and critics awards that have already been given out. Streep and Roberts are now on the 'maybe' lists for nominations rather than the almost-certs.

The trailer does make it look interesting though, and they're advertising it well - the trailer was on before Philomena and Saving Mr Banks recently when I went to see them. Definitely going to see it, just perhaps lowering my expectations a bit.
  • The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
    Forum Member
    I've recently been in the original play of this film and it's a beautiful, tragic and hilarious piece of writing. It's just one of the best plays I have ever read, and hopefully it will transcribe well onto the screen.

I have high hopes :)
  • AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the reviews have been as raving as everyone expected - I think it was meant to be a prime Oscar contender (especially given it's Weinstein-backed), but it's nowhere in most predictions lists and critics awards that have already been given out. Streep and Roberts are now on the 'maybe' lists for nominations rather than the almost-certs.

The trailer does make it look interesting though, and they're advertising it well - the trailer was on before Philomena and Saving Mr Banks recently when I went to see them. Definitely going to see it, just perhaps lowering my expectations a bit.

Is it even out yet? It's not playing where I live. I say, let the people decide if its good or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aerick wrote: »
    Is it even out yet? It's not playing where I live. I say, let the people decide if its good or not.

Good grief, I was only making a comment about how it doesn't have as much momentum with critics as some other Oscar contenders. What the people think is good has pretty much no bearing on awards wins, as Brokeback Mountain proved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll probably give it a watch on DVD sometime. I've read quite a few negative or mixed reviews about Meryl Streep's performance. I personally would have preferred someone like Jessica Lange, Glenn Close or Susan Sarandon to have taken on the role of Violet.

I agree with what one reviewer wrote:
    I think everybody is getting a bit fed up with this type of showy, gimmicky style of acting where naturalism goes out the window. Most of it begin to feel like a pantomine turn and it's bad.

Let's face it, Meryl Streep has been coasting for years now. The Oscar win for The Iron Lady was more to do with how many years it had been since she last won rather than for the performance itself. I would even argue that some of her nominations were undeserved. She's been far too fond of flashy Oscar bait for a good decade or so now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD screener or at least a recording of the film is out now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an ok film with the main theme of a family broken coming back together
    However i have found the acting disappointing

This has to be one of the weakest performances ever done by Meryl. As a huge fan, for me it is her weakest performance since Kramer Vs Kramer. Meryl is known for mentally and emotionally becoming her characters and I felt she failed that for this role. All she does is wear a wig, slur her words and swear a lot. Julia Roberts herself doesn't do a lot apart from scowling and shouting. Her character is very one dimensional and at times feels like a repeat performance of her oscar winning performance in Erin Brockovich, but without the layers and versatility of the script handed to her.

Also, Abigail Breslin, gives a terrible terrible performance. She was seriously mis cast.
  • Craig83maCraig83ma Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    Oh well that's a shock as they have both been nominated for several awards! But yeah, Meryls reviews have been mixed whereas Julia's have been unanimously positive with a nomination at almost every major awards!
    How was the famous dinner scene?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Craig83ma wrote: »
    Oh well that's a shock as they have both been nominated for several awards! But yeah, Meryls reviews have been mixed whereas Julia's have been unanimously positive with a nomination at almost every major awards!

It was ok. It felt a bit soap opera ish.
  • bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craig83ma wrote: »

I watched this without any knowledge of the dinner scene and it was brilliant. It was based on a play and set pieces like that are part of why people enjoy theater.

Julia "eat the effing fish" Roberts was very good in this as she had more interaction/scenes with the rest of the cast than even Streep.

Its a Black Comedy that descends into slapstick on occasions it has the odd sad bit but you will be laughing more than crying. Even serial hams like Cumberband and MacGregor did well (Margo Martindale played herself).

Its a cut above things like Gravity,Hustle and Phillips.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saw this earlier today, an interesting film with a number of good performances in it - Streep , Roberts and Chris Cooper are all especially good. But there is a bit of a "two many cooks" thing going on here, so it's a bit of a mess at times and some of the cast (notably MacGregor, Cumberbatch and Juliette Lewis) felt rather wasted. Well worth a look though, if you like character driven narratives. 7/10
  • RAZORBACKRAZORBACK Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    Went to see this yesterday & thought that overall it was okay, the biggest flaw it had was that the characters were either dislikeable or weak willed which made it very difficult to really care about any of them.

That said, it did have it's moments (not that many of them admittedly) and although watching this was ultimately quite a depressing experience I think it did just enough to get a 7/10 from me...
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,981
    Forum Member
    RAZORBACK wrote: »
    Went to see this yesterday & thought that overall it was okay, the biggest flaw it had was that the characters were either dislikeable or weak willed which made it very difficult to really care about any of them.

That said, it did have it's moments (not that many of them admittedly) and although watching this was ultimately quite a depressing experience I think it did just enough to get a 7/10 from me...

I saw this today. I agree with everything that you have said.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great cast, great performances but feeble story with a conclusion even a half-wit could see coming.