Options

How much rent does your parents make you pay?

12346»

Comments

• Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My house is worth around that, but it's my 5th house, not my first.

Mines worth more and I'm still on no.1.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pjh8 wrote: »
    Is it not a parent's responsibility to look after their children and feed them etc? If I stayed at home during university then it'd seem a bit excessive having my parents charge me weekly especially when I'm saving them the cost of university accommodation..

I guess it comes down to how long you consider yourself a child and when you start to think of it as them saving you the cost of your accommodation
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose if you're short of money, you may be forced to ask your grown-up kids for a contribution. As far as I'm concerned, my son will be able to live with us (not that he'd want to) rent-free. He's our son, not a lodger.
  • Options
    andys cornerandys corner Posts: 1,664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i left college in 1999, wage was £130 a week, i paid £30, then my hours got reduced and i was earning £40, i had to pay £20, same when i got made redundant as jobseekers was about the same.

next job was £500 a month, i had to pay £160. i ended up quitting uni as i needed to reduce my hours due to workload but couldnt afford lower wages and almost had a nervous breakdown.

by the time i left in 2009 i earned about £1100 a month and gave £200-ish, i was saving for my own house too.

couldnt go back now though, my mum works from home and because customers have to visit the house i would constantly either have to go out a lot, creep around a lot etc, plus they downsized since then
  • Options
    pjh8pjh8 Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    I guess it comes down to how long you consider yourself a child and when you start to think of it as them saving you the cost of your accommodation

Uni accommodation costs thousands though. What 18 year old would have that money? Parents who work and earn a wage should have savings for uni costs for their children. Having children costs money..
  • Options
    Cosmic GiftedCosmic Gifted Posts: 3,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I earn just over £600 a month and pay £300 a month to my parents. So half my wage and I am happy to do so because they need the money.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    I like cooking but it's not a duty to do it for adults so I do it when I please and as to washing and ironing. Are you crazy! They have hands. They should be putting on washes for me if I'm putting a roof over their head. Anyone who puts on a wash just fills it up with others clothes to make sure it's not wasted.

Of course they contribute. There is a different word for parenthood and martyrdom for a reason and I'm trying to help them be responsible adults not selfish gits.

I was not asked to contribute but that doesn't mean I didn't do my part and treat the household once in a while when it became feasible.

But this is why it was different for me. My mum did the meals, she did the shopping, washing, ironing and cleaning whilst we were at work, she didn't leave it for us to do. So were in effect paying her for that. That was how she wanted to run her household, so that's what we did.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Is it not a parent's responsibility to look after their children and feed them etc? If I stayed at home during university then it'd seem a bit excessive having my parents charge me weekly especially when I'm saving them the cost of university accommodation.. Maybe if I was 21+,finished university and had a good paying full time job than maybe providing them with a bit of help would sound reasonable but a weekly bill from your own parents acting like lodgers seems a bit harsh and mean imo
    Uni accommodation costs thousands though. What 18 year old would have that money? Parents who work and earn a wage should have savings for uni costs for their children. Having children costs money..

I wouldn't expect my kids to pay me anything if they were at Uni. Mind you I'm not sure we'll be in a financial position to pay for our kids university costs either - they may have to work, as Mr Python had to!
  • Options
    TellystarTellystar Posts: 12,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a case of helping out Mum and Dad, that's patronising. it's doing what is right.
    Utilities, food, etc cost a lot of money.
    An adult child makes a significant difference to the household budget.Were he/ she living on their own with rent to pay, plus bills they would soon realise that paying Mum a third of their monthly wage isn't really enough. It's not only about money.
    Some do help out at home, but many are lazy lumps. Who is to blame? Those silly parents!
    If parents are so soft that they think mollycoddling them is a good thing, then they are misguided and doing their child no favours
    It's not a right to own your own house.
    Many do not achieve this till their thirties- so what?
    Living the life of Riley, paying a pittance while saving large amounts, and still having a great social life, new clothes etc is not something to aspire to.
    More fool them, if parents don't kick them out of the nest and wait on them hand and foot.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to pay 60%.

My kids used to pay 25%. Overtime not included.

I think it's important for them to know that wages are not all for spending.