Manners on the bus

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I also hate people who have their music blasting, there's no need for it and its inconsederate to other passengers.

I'm one of them, my attitude is that unless asked by someone for it to be turned down then it stays at full volume.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also hate people who have their music blasting, there's no need for it and its inconsederate to other passengers.

And what about those on their phone, good god, anyone would think who ever their talking to is on another planet, why blood* shout!!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 414
    Forum Member
    And what about those on their phone, good god, anyone would think who ever their talking to is on another planet, why blood* shout!!!!!

That is one of the reasons whenever I phone someone while waiting for the bus I'll say "The bus is here, so I'll speak later"
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is one of the reasons whenever I phone someone while waiting for the bus I'll say "The bus is here, so I'll speak later"

We need to travel on the same bus :D
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm one of them, my attitude is that unless asked by someone for it to be turned down then it stays at full volume.

On buses in Newcastle there are signs up telling people not to have their music loud and to consider other passengers, it is ignorant and bad manners to ignore it and very selfish.
    When I've been at work all day and I'm on the bus home, and often am tired and have a splitting headache, the last thing I, and other passengers want is loud music blasted in our ears.
    Why can't you use headphones and have some respect and manners?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No such thing as manners in the area i live in :rolleyes:

Mine either. The buses in my part of East London are horrendous. Not a soul even bothers with trying to queue to get on, even though queuing means getting on the bus would be faster. I actually shouted at a woman whose kids just barged into me to get on the bus. I had my son with me and I am seven months pregnant. I also have a condition of my pregnancy that makes standing and walking very painful, so the last thing I need are two kids ramming into me. I didn't shout abuse at the woman, only that she needed to teach her kids some manners and not have them ram people. If my six year old gets it, these kids should have, as they were about 9/10. We are moving to a more genteel area soon and hopefully, bus pushing will not be as bad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate it when cars/vans anything really, pulls up in the bus stop area when I'm waiting for the bus, I panic that the bus will just go straight past. Also hate it when a stop's coming up, the bell's been pressed, but still everyone who wants to get off (well, nearly everyone) presses the bell aswell,

and what's the thing to do when you sit next to someone and then a whole spare seat becomes available, do you move to that one or will it offend the person you were next to, or, if you don't move, will they be thinking 'move over to the spare seat, you freak'
  • soundwavesoundwave Posts: 307
    Forum Member
    What gets my back up is when you're queing for the bus and then when it arrives, people just come from out of no where and push on in front of you...
    This happens everytime I get the bus home from the Metrocentre, people must think us people are queing for the fun of it...

That happened to me when I was about to get on the bus, this chav girl just pushed in right in front of me. When she and her mate went off the bus I pulled two fingers at her, the look on her face was priceless! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It always really annoys me when the bus driver sees people running for the bus and he kindly waits for them, only for them to get on the bus with barely an acknowledgment to the driver. No thank you, no smile, nothing. Just a "bleep" for the oyster and they promptly find a seat.

I've seen plenty of bus drivers close the doors and drive away, with the people standing at the doors looking forlornly at the driver. Its a little act of kindness that the driver can do just to wait for the people he sees running, the little act of kindness back could at least be a thank you!
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather see a pregnant woman stand than a fat woman cry...
    Forum Member
    There's one bus at 3.00pm where all the school kids get on the bus, and the bus gets fully packed, not forgetting to mention other people who want to catch that bus.
  • bobgobbobgob Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cultureman wrote: »
    My argument is that many of them patently aren't "elderly" in any sense other than having lived 60 years. In other arguments to treat 60 pluses as by definition old is seen as patently ageist, and thereby denigrating of them.
    Good grief, political correctness really has gone mad. How anyone can think extending courtesy to pensioners on a bus or train is being ageist is beyond me. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bubbsy wrote: »
    What exactly is your argument? They're elderly, so of course I'd give up my seat for them. They may travel free, but unlike kids, do not have the alternative luxury of being able to sit on laps. Young kids who don't pay should be sitting on parents knees on crowded public transport - that's my point.

I can't remember the last time I saw a toddler sitting on a parents lap. There again round here toddlers are still in the pushchairs up until they go to school so they then dont have to pay bus fares if they look like they under five. Even at 5 its only 10p but that would be far too much, much better to keep taking the push chair out with you every where and take up three of the folding seats.

I always say thankyou to the driver when i get on and off the buses as its a specific route i always use and theres only a few drivers on it and if youre nice to them, they'll remember you and are much morelikely to hang on for aminute if they see you rushing to get the bus as its just about to shut his doors.

I wont give up my seat to the elderly. I'm disabled and can't stand easily on a bus only with the help of gravity and leaning against the lugage rack so if a fit elderly person gets on and starts to give me one of those 'looks' thoe youth of today type of thing I'll glare back. But if someone who happens to be about 40 years older than me was to get on in a worse state than me and thre was going to be space for me to stand I would make an effort to offer them the seat.

The language that some of the pensioners use these days doesn't earn them my respect so thres no reason for me to give up a seat to them. The way some of them talk actually makes me blush and I realise where their granschildren probably learn their manners and language from as well.
    Forum Member
    I in-counted two rude people today. The first one closed one of the buses windows that I opened just to get some air. Then the next thing I know she shuts the bloody window! The next one just brushed past me full force without saying sorry, trying to come close to me so she couldn't fall! :mad:

Its the young people who are rude not old people.