Options

Garraway to stay at GMTV?

SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
Forum Member
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a236780/kate-garraway-offered-new-gmtv-role.html

Damn, I thought we were seeing the last of her:mad:

They are getting rid of the wrong one

Comments

• Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kate does a good job on GMTV but its pointless rebranding the show if you're going to keep the one most associated with GMTV. Helen would have been more than adequate imo, in fact she'd be better than Christine herself. And she doesn't have the heavy GMTV association.

I think Kate was bearable until she got the top job, then it went to her head and shes been smug and like shes the queen ever since, hopefully this demotion will kick her back into touch and bring back the old Kate.
  • Options
    OlgaChristieOlgaChristie Posts: 15,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot stand her plummy voice and her ridiculous laugh.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma does come across as a much warmer person. Rethink it, Gmtv.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    Eurgh.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im obviously alone then because i like Kate. I like the fact that shes a little ditsy.

I cant stand Emma. She talks over everyone she interviews ... and i think she comes across as 'head prefect' ish.
  • Options
    xfactorfan27xfactorfan27 Posts: 1,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GMTV have made an excellent decision here. Kate is clearly an extremely natural and gifted presenter and I imagine she would be able to spark an on-screen relationship with Adrian or whomever else she works with.

Emma had to go-she has no personality, is extremely vapid and patronising.

If GMTV is to succeed it has to be fronted by presenters whose personality shines through on the screen. In my opinion Kate and Christine are perfect for this role and regardless of what has been said on this thread it is clear that Kate has a high level of popularity amongst the public (just look at her success on Strictly and that Comic Relief Dancing show-you can't say she was voted through on natural talent...!!!)
  • Options
    teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should have kept Emma or Penny:cry:
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like Garrowench. They should have kept Penny, too.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

There's something about her that I like. I just can't put my finger on it...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1275080/Kate-Garraway-ex-brought-boss.html
  • Options
    hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »

Another thumbs up here for The Garrowench . I hope she stays .
  • Options
    louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't watch this programme, or the one show, but I certainly don't think that a presenter of the (nothing special) calibre of Christine Bleakley will help to improve viewing figures for GMTV. I believe the only reason they have contracted her is to reform the partnership between her and Adrian Chiles. I don't he's worth what he's being paid, either.

Penny Smith should have been the last to go; she is a brilliant journalist who is not afraid to laugh at herself, but is serious when need be. Kate is well equipped to do the job, too. But Emma Crosby, from what I remember of her from her sky news days, is more of a reporter type, current affairs type journo than one who interviews celebs on a daily basis.

So although I think she's the right one to go, she shouldn't have too much trouble finding a position worthy of her professional talents.

Sky news is overflowing with presenters and I don't think there is room for Emma there, even if they would take her back. Charlotte Hawkins, who usually presents alongside Eamonn Holmes, is an extremely knowledgeable news journalist and should have a more senior position with the channel.
  • Options
    Desert RatDesert Rat Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ I agree with most of what you say. I think GMTV is a well recognised brand, whether positive or negative. I don't think it would be that hard to fix it and perhaps ITV should have attempted it before completely rebranding it. When you do it with a show that is so established and recognised, it might not always pay off. Just see The Big Breakfast to RI:SE catastrophe.

Amongst the 7 main presenters, GMTV did have quite a strong team but all it did was lack direction and noone was being used to their full potential. It's always been clear that Emma hasn't been very 'GMTV' and they could have turned the Newshour into proper news (Emma Monday-Wednesday, Helen Thursday-Friday) with both providing updates throughout the 7-8.30am show. John & Penny doing Monday-Wednesday with Kate & Andrew doing Thursday and Friday in the main block and Lorraine doing her normal show would have worked imo, especially if they kept the current Newshour format in the main block which is a lot more focused.

I think the new show is going to crash and burn in all honesty. I can't see how Adrian & Christine are going to pull off presenting the news. With GMTV, it is in a dire state but its nothing that can't be fixed with the right work.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Both Kate and Emma should've gone to completly wipe any association with the current programme.

Plus Kate like her previous colleague Ms Phillips with her tenuous association with the Labour Party are old hat and of no use to the current government in spreading the nonsense policy they'd come out with while in government.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    There's something about her that I like. I just can't put my finger on it...
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1275080/Kate-Garraway-ex-brought-boss.html

Or possibly hands :eek:
  • Options
    Mr McGoldrickMr McGoldrick Posts: 568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well sucked Kate!!
  • Options
    evangeline007evangeline007 Posts: 2,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kate's awful, have to turn off