Is Sky+HD designed to be watched on "Just Scan" or "16:9"?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 538
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a 32 inch Samsung HDTV, so should I watch with overscan on or off?

Because if I watch it with no overscan, then surely I get a slightly higher resolution?

But then things like DOGs, graphics etc are pushed into the screen further than I'd like.

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'd just like to watch it the way it was designed to be watched and I couldn't find a definitive answer online.

Comments

• Marti SMarti S Posts: 5,788
    Forum Member
    Its whatever pleases your eyes best ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just Scan is another name for 1:1 mapping which is an option for HD, so you are receiving a 1920*1080 source and the TV maps that to it's screen pixel perfect, less processing and in theory a better image results. When you upscaling SD then with 1:1 you may see some of the side of the screen garbage usually hidden.
    So when you are setting up a TV the setting of 16:9 doesn't normally preclude or include 1:1 mapping, they are separate functions not dependent upon eachother.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Another thing to consider is that, I think, channels assume over scanning. Therefore if you have it turned off (as I do as I only watch HD channels) any on screen graphics and DOGs will be deeper into the image.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,515
    Forum Member
    michael777 wrote: »
    I have a 32 inch Samsung HDTV, so should I watch with overscan on or off?

Because if I watch it with no overscan, then surely I get a slightly higher resolution?

But then things like DOGs, graphics etc are pushed into the screen further than I'd like.

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'd just like to watch it the way it was designed to be watched and I couldn't find a definitive answer online.

Your choice, but the programmes are obviously designed to be watched with overscan on - not with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Do whichever you prefer.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I prefer 1:! mapping when watching HD content as it gives a marginally better picture.

However, when watching SD upscaled by the Sky+HD box you can get a lot of unsightly junk on the screen edges (especially on news programmes where the footage has been rushed in and not optimised for broadcast)

I'm not sure about all TVs, but if I set my Sky box to "AUTO" my TV can be set up to automatically pixel map 1080i/p (HD), but then switch to overscan when receiving 576i/p (SD)

But that's simply my experience. As others have said, have a play with the settings and see what you prefer.
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the programmes are obviously designed to be watched with overscan on - not with 1:1 pixel mapping.

Really ? I would have thought that, whilst true of older SD broadcasts, newer HD ones should be made with all 1920x1080 pixels intended to be seen (or at least the allowance needs to be made that they might be seen/displayed).

Clearly, in the old analogue world, overscan was needed to allow for the differences in scanning of different TV sets ... and the need to hide "ragged edges". Surely those considerations no longer apply to HD broadcasting ?
    Do whichever you prefer.

That's fair enough. Being honest, I can't really see an obvious noticeable improvement in PQ when using 1:1 ... although I can spot when it is on or off by noting where the Sky News graphics occur !
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    Since I errr, obtain American TV shows by other means and watch them through my PS3 (with 1:1 mapping) they look perfect, of course American TV production is light years ahead of the UK, so I'm not sure how a UK TV Show would look with 1:1 mapping.
    Forum Member
    Really ? I would have thought that, whilst true of older SD broadcasts, newer HD ones should be made with all 1920x1080 pixels intended to be seen (or at least the allowance needs to be made that they might be seen/displayed).

16:9 programmes are made for 16:9 sets, not just HD ones, as such many millions of sets used will still be CRT, and many millions of LCD/Plasma won't have 1:1 pixel mapping anyway.

So I would imagine that 1:1 pixel mapping is very much a minority concern for the programme makers.

As others have mentioned on here, the main way you can tell is by where the DOG is, not by any really noticable picture improvements.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True 1:1 pixel mapping isn't possible anyway with an interlaced source however having "just scan" will obviously remove over scan if you want this and may improve the PQ slightly for static or slow moving images.
  • scottie55scottie55 Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    True 1:1 pixel mapping isn't possible anyway with an interlaced source
    I don't understand this - why can't an interlaced signal be displayed with 1:1 pixel mapping?

If you allow overscanning (on a full HD TV) with a 1080 source, surely that means you're unnecessarily re-scaling the image within the TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scottie55 wrote: »
    I don't understand this - why can't an interlaced signal be displayed with 1:1 pixel mapping?

If you allow overscanning (on a full HD TV) with a 1080 source, surely that means you're unnecessarily re-scaling the image within the TV.

You can get a picture that is the same size i.e. not zoomed in a little bit for the overscan and that may give a bit better PQ so "just scan" may well be better because of the lack of extra scaling that you mention. However true 1:1 mapping can't occur (at least over much/most) of the screen because the picture has to be de-interlaced, the processing of this means that the original pixels don't exist any more after the de-interlacing. A really good de-interlacer will leave static areas of the screen unused but even on good ones any movement will destroy the original pixels.

If you have a progressive source such as film then you can have 1:1 mapping because the 2 fields can just be combined to make one frame without any processing.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member

Clearly, in the old analogue world, overscan was needed to allow for the differences in scanning of different TV sets ... and the need to hide "ragged edges". Surely those considerations no longer apply to HD broadcasting ?
    Certainly within the BBC, no HD programme will be passed for transmission unless the whole image is filled all the time. It's part of the specification that all programme deliverers have to adhere to.
    The only exception might be made for the full width presentation of 2.35 aspect cinema films, where letter-boxing has to be allowed.
    :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dave-H wrote: »
    Certainly within the BBC, no HD programme will be passed for transmission unless the whole image is filled all the time. It's part of the specification that all programme deliverers have to adhere to.
    The only exception might be made for the full width presentation of 2.35 aspect cinema films, where letter-boxing has to be allowed.
    :)

When using the BBC test card to calibrate your screen, you need to have 1:1 mapping enabled to display the diamonds on the edges of the picture correctly.
    Forum Member
    When using the BBC test card to calibrate your screen, you need to have 1:1 mapping enabled to display the diamonds on the edges of the picture correctly.

Why would you want to display the full 'diamonds' on the overscan area? - and what has that got to do with calibration?.
    Forum Member
    If you have a progressive source such as film then you can have 1:1 mapping because the 2 fields can just be combined to make one frame without any processing.
    OK, I think I understand - let me try see if I've got it right. It's not interlacing as a delivery method that's the problem it's how the image was originally captured that's the issue.

Have I got that right?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why would you want to display the full 'diamonds' on the overscan area? - and what has that got to do with calibration?.

That's the impression i got from here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I do so enjoy being educated.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scottie55 wrote: »
    OK, I think I understand - let me try see if I've got it right. It's not interlacing as a delivery method that's the problem it's how the image was originally captured that's the issue.

Have I got that right?
    No it's if the source is interlaced (e.g. from an interlaced camera rather than a film camera). To display the resulting image you can't just map pixel onto pixel by combining the two 1920x540 fields forming a 1920x1080 frame because if you do this you will get horrible artefacts.

On the other hand if the source was progressive such as film then you can combine the 2 fields directly.

This doesn't mean that using "just scan" isn't a good idea (it usually is for HD) just that 1:1 pixel mapping is not a good description of what is happening.
    Forum Member
    That's the impression i got from here -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/12/a_christmas_present_from_the_h.html

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I do so enjoy being educated.

Notice that site shows how it should look on a normal screen, as well as showing the much less common 1:1 pixel display.

But as I said, what has 1:1 pixel mapping got to do with calibration?, it's VERY rare for their to be any picture geometry adjustments of any kind on a flat screen TV.
    Forum Member
    No it's if the source is interlaced (e.g. from an interlaced camera rather than a film camera). To display the resulting image you can't just map pixel onto pixel by combining the two 1920x540 fields forming a 1920x1080 frame because if you do this you will get horrible artefacts.
    oh - the inaccuracies of language! That's exactly what I meant.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Notice that site shows how it should look on a normal screen, as well as showing the much less common 1:1 pixel display.

But as I said, what has 1:1 pixel mapping got to do with calibration?, it's VERY rare for their to be any picture geometry adjustments of any kind on a flat screen TV.

But the whole point of this thread IS 1:1 displays, and which setting should be used

Taken from the BBC document....
    "Some flat screens do have the option to either turn overscan off or reduce the picture size..

The full test card should look like this, with the diamond points just touching the edge of the screen all the way round."