BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan is currently "entertaining" us by pitting seriously depressed & disturbed people on air. If anyone wonders why this man & his show is so disliked, you have your proof here again.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Thanks Streaky.
    Who do I remind you of - I'm intrigued!

Now I've started - anyone else realise that the new Thursday night Question Time slot involves just broadcasting what's on the telly?!!!!
    I didn't bother to listen once I realised that. QT has Twitter and - e mail access live so why bother with Pinaeer - or Nolan ( ever).

Listen to BBC 1 on 5 live - bet that's saved a few bob! :rolleyes:

Jayne

I don 't think Streaky's first sentence was referring to you. Sorry for butting in, Streaky can speak for himself.

Guess what Nolan's topic is tonight? Depression! That's even before his 1130 interview which is always either depressing or boring. He's changed the topic now. He must be looking at my keyboard.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost like some sort of sick voyeurism the way Nolan goes on !

I'm sure I remember him asking some person how they felt when they child had died / or been killed !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    Jack_R wrote: »
    So I see the criticism of Victoria Derbyshire continues - and predominantly it still appears to be some kind of strange personal vendetta.

Sometimes the topics in her programme don't make for easy listening - but then welcome to the real world - there are people who face stigma and hardship on a daily basis. Sometimes the stories covered are sombre, but they reflect real world happenings and events.

If you don't like her programme then don't listen to it. Whilst you're at it also spare your endless, repetitive and pointless criticisms.

If you look at the entire list of my comments, you will see that this is my first real comment on Victoria. My main interest has been on the late evening and overnight hours. I do not understand why saying that you find things are frequently searingly sad, that it is a personal vendetta on one person. 5Live shows are never the work of one person, even if that person has the biggest influence.

I actually like the lady, but not many of the shows - and yes I turn them off. Thanks for that suggestion, I would never have thought of it myself. I was actually giving a view on why the linear listening figures have reduced for the station. It was meant to be constructive. What is the point of pretending that everything is great, or not giving a view.

Please don't be so thin-skinned.

The one person that I would love to be replaced is, and has been for the last 2 years, 4-nights-a week Dotun, the man who can't take a holiday. But I have given my views on that before in this long chain, so won't go over them again.

What I will do is state my own views on R5L programmes, and do so politely and honestly. I have the station on for a large part of every day. When it is not R5L it tends to be Planet Rock that I am listening to. I don't know if that is typical or not - and don't really care. I know what I like.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Keeping a running log of where Victoria Derbyshire is broadcasting from and then obsessing over it as some users on here appear to do is just plain odd. Constructive criticism of content is fair enough, but where Victoria Derbyshire is sitting has no relation to this whatsoever.

The truth of the matter is whatever 5 Live does I struggle to believe it'd meet the satisfaction of many users here, some of which manage to find something wrong with every single presenter.
    The one person that I would love to be replaced is, and has been for the last 2 years, 4-nights-a week Dotun, the man who can't take a holiday. But I have given my views on that before in this long chain, so won't go over them again.

Whether or not Dotun takes a holiday is of no relevance to me whatsoever, I tend to find his shows perfectly enjoyable. I would however agree with some of the comments made about the show at times being repetitive (in terms of the phone-ins) and would agree that it could do with freshening up - but in my view the issue has nothing to do with Dotun personally.
  • James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they have 2 presenters on the breakfast and drive shows and only one on the other daytime shows ? Is it just tradition . BBC London has 2 on the breakfast show but only one on the Drive show whereas LBC has only one on each.
    I quite like the idea of 2 presenters as it can make the programmes seem varied with a different point of view or slant on things (even if they're not).

I think having someone co-presenting with Victoria would certainly freshen up the show and may re-invigorate her so that she may do some more light/ not so downbeat stuff
    Not sure who I'd pair her with but there must be some candidates out there who would gel with her
  • Sense of DaySense of Day Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    It seems to have been overlooked here, but I've just finished listening to the podcast from Richard Bacon's show on Thursday. It was simply brilliant radio.

Pretty courageous take a two hour speech show to the back garden of a listener with terminal stomach cancer, and dedicate the entire show to him, his family and friends, but that's what happened here.

Steve Evans was an inspiration, and Bacon, who clearly had an affinity with Steve, handled the whole thing remarkably well. It was funny, upsetting, uplifting and emotional. Radio at it's best.

Did anyone else hear it?
  • Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    It seems to have been overlooked here, but I've just finished listening to the podcast from Richard Bacon's show on Thursday. It was simply brilliant radio.

Pretty courageous take a two hour speech show to the back garden of a listener with terminal stomach cancer, and dedicate the entire show to him, his family and friends, but that's what happened here.

Steve Evans was an inspiration, and Bacon, who clearly had an affinity with Steve, handled the whole thing remarkably well. It was funny, upsetting, uplifting and emotional. Radio at it's best.

Did anyone else hear it?

Sorry this is Digital Spy we don't do praise for great radio and we don't post positive things about anyone in the 5 live thread and especially not Richard Bacon.

Can I interest you in a moan about Victoria Derbyshire's location or Stephen Nolan? If not can I suggest that you move along bevause we don't want your sort here ;)
    Forum Member

Did anyone else hear it?

It was indeed an excellent piece of radio and I completely agree with your comments.

I wouldn't expect many people to agree here though because Richard Bacon is also a target of the relentless negativity and criticism of certain posters.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    I don't believe streaky meant you Jayne.... without putting words in his mouth I think he may have been referring to Jack R as eerily similar to our resident "media expert" & one man BBC pr machine.... :rolleyes:

& quite right about QT....pienaar I don't mind -don't know who he upset on tv to now only seem to report on 5live but he knows his stuff .....but we certainly don't need to bother with Nolan at all....what a great idea but the controllers seem to think we want more of him not less.... :(

You really do make me laugh sometimes. If you bothered to contribute to any other threads you'd know full well that I post views on BBC and commercial radio. I've never once claimed to be a "media expert" - but yes, I do happen to work within the industry so I try - wherever I can - to add an insight to some of the decisions made behind the scenes and the production process.

But that's not good enough for you is it? You accuse me of using condescending language, yet you're perfectly happy to go on the attack against anyone who dares to disagree with you - not least the new member Jack R who, yes, appears to agree with me. For avoidance of doubt we are not the same person, I don't have and have never had multiple DS accounts.

As for Pienaar, I'm not sure he upset anyone. He's Five Live's Chief Political Correspondent which is why he's only normally heard on that network.
    Forum Member
    It was indeed an excellent piece of radio and I completely agree with your comments.

I wouldn't expect many people to agree here though because Richard Bacon is also a target of the relentless negativity and criticism of certain posters.

Careful Jack - some people seem to think we are related. They've clearly never heard of the phrase "great minds think alike".
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bacon can be very, very good, but sometimes he can be awful, which is a shame.
    Forum Member
    Careful Jack - some people seem to think we are related. They've clearly never heard of the phrase "great minds think alike".

Mapperley, He isn't in the same class as you. At least some of your comments have a touch of humour to them
    Forum Member

Indeed!

I get the impression some posters struggle to cope with the fact not everyone agrees with them and are even more enraged when someone dares to challenge them.
    Forum Member
    Mapperley, He isn't in the same class as you. At least some of your comments have a touch of humour to them

Ahem. It comes with time ;)
  • U.R.CorrectU.R.Correct Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're right. Lordloz really ought to give some people a bit of slack.

Touche :D
  • radiotunerradiotuner Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    I have had a week of the late night arrangement now and these are my views.

To say it is folly to take Tony Livesey off is an understatement. I enjoyed his programme, both the important stuff and the not so important. Yes, the "who did you have a wee beside" was question a step too far, but in the main Tony is an excellent late night broadcaster who made me smile and think in equal measure.

Phil Williams is a good replacement. He is no Tony Livesey, but he is good and the programme format is good, perhaps better than what went before. I'm not certain about the quiz though! I think the whole programme is a good listen, I just preferred Tony Livesey.

I used to wait for Tony coming on, I'm not sure I will be chomping at the bit for this programme, though I certainly would not dismiss it out of hand. It may well grow on me.

I think the Thursday arrangement is madness. Stephen Nolan spent half an hour making Question Time sound like the Cup Final...who was on the panel, what position will they play and what should we read into the formation. Then we just sat and listened to an hour of a programme that could easily be seen on the telly or is just as easily found on Radio Four.

Then it is dissected.

I don't think I have the vocabulary to explain how awful an arrangement I found this to be. I love John Pinnear, great broadcaster....not so big on Stephen Nolan who displays all the hallmarks of a rubber necker at a road crash "I don't want to intrude, and tell me to stop if I do, but how did it feel when your world fell apart?"

The whole Thursday night experience felt so wrong. Perhaps I should be more open minded. I love politics, love debate, love analysis, but this format of listening to a television programme was just utter rubbish.

For years I have already made the decision not to watch Question Time and to enjoy some normal late night radio full of varied items, news stories, comment and debate, and then someone says "no, you can't do that you can sit and listen to what you don't want to watch for an hour."

In the main I think Five Live is brilliant, but this was horrible from start to finish. What on earth caused anyone to think this is a good idea? I am sure it will have its supporters out there...please tell me why I am wrong because I can't think of any good reason to trouble with this for too many Thursdays.
    Forum Member
    I too enjoyed Tony Livesey's program and second your comments. There were certain aspects which I thought were a bit naf, i.e. Bump Club, although I think that was foisted on him by those on high; the parts where listeners were asked to text in with a pun and/or change it into a song title etc. were I think rubbish. The gobby Tessa Dunlop who never let anyone else get a word in and talked over everyone. Tony';s team talk I didn't enjoy, even though I am a football fan. The sexpert Rachael Morris used to make me cringe on Mondays. I always thought she was lecturing people on how they should live their lives.

Having said that, I enjoyed the program and agree Tony is an excellent and professional broadcaster with a natural style, just the sort of bloke you would enjoy having a pint with.

I wish Phil Williams all the best, but so far, he hasn't done much to make me want to listen every night, which I did with Tony. Phil doesn't have the same personality and although I have enjoyed some of his stand in appearances for others, I think his new program is a bit boring and still includes some of the left overs from Tony's show which I wasn't impressed with.

As regards Question Time, I did listen to it and thought that it was quite well done, in spite of Nolan, but I agree there is not much point in it. I prefer the previous format where they did a review of the program, with expert comments, (apart from Tessa Dunlop). There doesn't seem much point in having it on every week, when those who wish to, can watch it on TV. I suppose it must be cheap radio.

Just listening to Chris Warburton's Saturday Edition at the moment. An excellent program with plenty of variety on various subjects, such as tech, news, motoring, gaming etc.

I
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Are there thousands of tickets for 5live's 'Big Day Out' unsold? I suspect so considering the promos every 15 minutes they are bombarding onto listeners.
  • ff999ff999 Posts: 4,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too enjoyed Tony Livesey's program and second your comments. There were certain aspects which I thought were a bit naf, i.e. Bump Club, although I think that was foisted on him by those on high; the parts where listeners were asked to text in with a pun and/or change it into a song title etc. were I think rubbish. The gobby Tessa Dunlop who never let anyone else get a word in and talked over everyone. Tony';s team talk I didn't enjoy, even though I am a football fan. The sexpert Rachael Morris used to make me cringe on Mondays. I always thought she was lecturing people on how they should live their lives.

Having said that, I enjoyed the program and agree Tony is an excellent and professional broadcaster with a natural style, just the sort of bloke you would enjoy having a pint with.

I wish Phil Williams all the best, but so far, he hasn't done much to make me want to listen every night, which I did with Tony. Phil doesn't have the same personality and although I have enjoyed some of his stand in appearances for others, I think his new program is a bit boring and still includes some of the left overs from Tony's show which I wasn't impressed with.

As regards Question Time, I did listen to it and thought that it was quite well done, in spite of Nolan, but I agree there is not much point in it. I prefer the previous format where they did a review of the program, with expert comments, (apart from Tessa Dunlop). There doesn't seem much point in having it on every week, when those who wish to, can watch it on TV. I suppose it must be cheap radio.

Just listening to Chris Warburton's Saturday Edition at the moment. An excellent program with plenty of variety on various subjects, such as tech, news, motoring, gaming etc.

I
    I'm with superbike999 and radiotuner. I really enjoyed Tony Livesy's evening programme, and haven't yet worked out which out of Phil Williams and Tony would be happiest with their switch of roles. I can't quite believe that a direct switch was exactly what they both wanted.
    Bump club was something thst should have maybe been a one off, at the most. The current format is total overload.
    I'll listen to Phil Williams as I think his style isnt a million miles from Tony. Tony's programme was perfect for that time of night.
    If ever I want to do harm to myself, I'll tune into Nolan. Having someone yelling in my ear, incessantly, as I nod off is not what I want.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Are there thousands of tickets for 5live's 'Big Day Out' unsold? I suspect so considering the promos every 15 minutes they are bombarding onto listeners.

I've avoided Fighting Talk for the last few weeks to avoid it being rammed down my throat. Primal Scream? Someone tell Colin Murray it's not the 1990s anymore.

The problem with 'Big Day Out' and all big radio things like that is they forget that the majority of the audience can't get to these things and start narrowcasting to the audience there rather than the audience at home.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davestoke wrote: »
    Nolan is currently "entertaining" us by pitting seriously depressed & disturbed people on air. If anyone wonders why this man & his show is so disliked, you have your proof here again.
    I've no idea about this man's likability or not, but......

One name - Raoul Moat.

If anyone else ever heard that broadcast on the Friday evening one summer back in 2010, when the named man above was cornered, then I hope they would have been similarly disgusted by the way this man conducted himself on the radio, literally asking anyone who would speak to tell him what they could see, on air, and actively asking members of the general public to behave like un-paid BBC journalists and report back to him, for the feeding frenzy of non-information into his programme. It was sickening stuff, unworthy of anyone who desires to work on the BBC, and was clearly designed purely for entertainment when there was none, and not even any meaningful information at the time. Certainly in this man's case you'd not have been thinking he was talking about a very serious news story. :mad:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keeping a running log of where Victoria Derbyshire is broadcasting from and then obsessing over it as some users on here appear to do is just plain odd. Constructive criticism of content is fair enough, but where Victoria Derbyshire is sitting has no relation to this whatsoever.

I don't really care where she is broadcasting from. My problem with her is the content of her show. I've dipped in a few times this morning and she see seems to have spent the whole time talking about pornography in schools.

Now I tend to be a Radio 2 listener between 10 and noon.
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    One name - Raoul Moat.

If anyone else ever heard that broadcast on the Friday evening one summer back in 2010, when the named man above was cornered, then I hope they would have been similarly disgusted by the way this man conducted himself on the radio, literally asking anyone who would speak to tell him what they could see, on air, and actively asking members of the general public to behave like un-paid BBC journalists and report back to him, for the feeding frenzy of non-information into his programme. It was sickening stuff, unworthy of anyone who desires to work on the BBC, and was clearly designed purely for entertainment when there was none, and not even any meaningful information at the time.

I remember that broadcast. I also remember that the news channels were covering that story just as intently. It was the big story that week and could have been brought to an end at any time.

If it was happening in any other country where there are TV channels or radio stations that broadcast live coverage of major news stories, they would have covered it in the same way. They would have had reporters there and also taken contributions from people who lived there.

I don't think putting mentally ill people on air to talk about their mental illnesses is sick, but I think 5 Live has an obsession with mental illness, domestic abuse and sex crime, and this is most evident during Victoria Derbyshire's show and Stephen Nolan's show.
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, it has every relevance. This woman was the most fervently in favour of the move to Salford a couple of years before it took place. She even was interviewed about it in the Telegraph claiming her colleagues who weren't keen should face up to it, and that "she would be happy to drive the removal lorry herself to Salford". Then a year later she completely back-pedaled from the idea and decided to stay put in London.The BBC made an exception and have since bent over backwards to support her. Many of her colleagues resented this and complained as they were forced to move or lose their jobs.Quite a few names on 5 Live are no longer present because they would not move. So IMO Victoria Derbyshire is a hypocrite and not withstanding the above a horrible is broadcaster in any case.There is a very good reason why the BBC have defiantly supported her, and it ain't anything to do with her broadcasting abilities or lack of them, or the fact that she has young sprogs..

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/379836/BBC-wastes-money-as-webcams-show-host-Victoria-Derbyshire-is-not-in-Salford
This discussion has been closed.