Forum Member
✭✭
Starts tomorrow. Should be good!!:D

Comments

• Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like the brawls in ice hockey but the problem is the bloody puck is so small, makes it hard to follow the action.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Could they do what they do with a squash ball to make the puck more TV viewer friendly?
  • Options
    thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax

They tried once.

I think once you know what you're looking for then it's pretty easy to follow the puck on TV. That might just be the many years I've spent watching the sport though.
  • Options
    PuckyPucky Posts: 4,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FoxTrax

They tried once.

I think once you know what you're looking for then it's pretty easy to follow the puck on TV. That might just be the many years I've spent watching the sport though.

I agree. The puck is much easier to follow once you've been watching for a while, and is actually easier to follow on the TV as they usually only concentrate on the bit of the ice where the puck is! When you watch live there's so much other stuff going on!

Tough to call this tournament, I think Canada may be harmed by Steven Stamkos' injury but they have a strong roster. The only question mark has to be Roberto Luongo in goal - but is it just because the Canucks are rubbish at the moment!?

Personally I'm torn between USA & Canada!
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame GB still not getting close to the Olympics.

Would it ever be possible or is ice hockey in GB just too minor?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shame GB still not getting close to the Olympics.

Would it ever be possible or is ice hockey in GB just too minor?

GB got quite close this year but still they aren't quite good enough. The biggest problem for GB hockey is that there simply aren't enough ice rinks available, and the towns that do have rinks there's just not enough ice time.

Short-term fixes just aren't working. There needs to be long-term changes made to encourage more kids to take up the sport and keep them involved after the age of 16. Once there's a decent junior programme at ALL British clubs then in 10-12 years we can hope that GB have a squad that's good enough to qualify.

On another note, I'm watching the women's Canada vs. USA game and it's good to see the Canadian men's team watching.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Pucky wrote: »
    there's just not enough ice time
    And running a general public session without re-icing just after a hockey session is not a good way to encourage new skaters as the ice is left in a terrible state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    And running a general public session without re-icing just after a hockey session is not a good way to encourage new skaters as the ice is left in a terrible state.

That's usually the rink owners/operators fault for not allowing the 15 mins it needs to re-surface between one session and the next. TBH most rinks I've been to allow the ice to be re-surfaced between hockey games and public skating - but it's been a couple of years since I've been to any hockey game now!
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GB got quite close this year but still they aren't quite good enough. The biggest problem for GB hockey is that there simply aren't enough ice rinks available, and the towns that do have rinks there's just not enough ice time.

I think effectively they lost out to Latvia.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Personally I'm torn between USA & Canada!

Don't stick your neck out too much.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    Don't stick your neck out too much.

LOL. It's all down to the players that play on my NHL team, rather than a nation itself.

I still think the final will be North America vs. Europe, although can't predict yet which nations will be fighting for gold.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sweden 4 - Czech Republic 2. Great game!! Those goals!!:o:o:cool::cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    come on team Finland!!!! i'm right behind ya! although i'm kinda routing for canada, czech republic and switzerland too, but then again those last two are just because of my NHL team.
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    The Super League crushed any hopes of GB getting to the Olympics for a long time. Hockey was developing very well, with the likes of Stevie Lyle being drafted, however Super League destroyed that with the switch to arena's and the destruction of the development programs we had in Durham and Murryfield.

Perhaps the GB ice hockey program may pop down to Southampton in the near future, when Ralph Kruger joins them and have a chat. He did wonders for the Swiss program.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    where can i see the goals?

i was really looking forwrd to this but i work during day, i recorded all 12 hours of BBC coverange and they hardly show anything.

red button is no help unless for the evening games,and today at the olympics is v bad show too.

must be somewhere i can see all the goals?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »

i was really looking forwrd to this but i work during day, i recorded all 12 hours of BBC coverange and they hardly show anything.

red button is no help unless for the evening games,and today at the olympics is v bad show too.

I know that on the iplayer online they have had highlight packages of games, but they tend to be a day behind if at all. Trying to find on other sites, but can't find anywhere at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »

If you have Virgin then you can record the red button - it's on 991 & 992. I would have thought that Sky would be the same. BBC have also been showing the games live via the website. The last few days there's been highlights at 9pm, and I'm sure if you look online you'll find highlights of the goals.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Tribec wrote: »
    The Super League crushed any hopes of GB getting to the Olympics for a long time. Hockey was developing very well, with the likes of Stevie Lyle being drafted, however Super League destroyed that with the switch to arena's and the destruction of the development programs we had in Durham and Murryfield.

Perhaps the GB ice hockey program may pop down to Southampton in the near future, when Ralph Kruger joins them and have a chat. He did wonders for the Swiss program.

I remember watching the British League & the cup competitions on BBC Grandstand in the late 80s early 90s likes of the Racers & Wasps, & some of the teams that are still around like the Devils, Flyers & Panthers, nowadays i don't know if there's any TV coverage, could be one for BT Sport to buy the rights to
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I remember watching the British League & the cup competitions on BBC Grandstand in the late 80s early 90s likes of the Racers & Wasps, & some of the teams that are still around like the Devils, Flyers & Panthers, nowadays i don't know if there's any TV coverage, could be one for BT Sport to buy the rights to

I believe that Premier Sports have the rights to the Elite League, though I have no idea what sort of coverage it has. Again, whilst not being as destructive as the Super League, the current league formats are not helping the GB team, we need to go back to the British League style of 2 divisions, and some realistic wage caps.

I still pinch myself that whilst I know that Super League harmed hockey in the UK, that it did bring in the fans, and we at one point was the second biggest watched sport in the country behind football.

Teams have come and gone, as have some of the wonderful old barns they played in. Yes, the new rinks are far more hospitable, but they lack the feel some of the old places had.
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you have Virgin then you can record the red button - it's on 991 & 992. I would have thought that Sky would be the same. BBC have also been showing the games live via the website. The last few days there's been highlights at 9pm, and I'm sure if you look online you'll find highlights of the goals.

thanks ill have a look tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tribec wrote: »
    I believe that Premier Sports have the rights to the Elite League, though I have no idea what sort of coverage it has.

They show a highlights package on a Saturday evening, before a live game. They also show the odd midweek game too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    come on team Finland!!!! i'm right behind ya! although i'm kinda routing for canada, czech republic and switzerland too, but then again those last two are just because of my NHL team.

I don't know too much about Ice Hockey or NHL, but I've had a soft spot for Finland ever since Barry Davies got very excited about them thrashing the previously invincible Russians at Lillehammer in 1994. Davies knows what he's talking about, and he made it clear we were watching something special. :)

Since then, I've watched lots of Finland tournaments (World Champs as well), I really thought they were gonna get Olympic gold in 2006, but those damn Swedes!

Sadly, Saku Koivu isn't with them this time, and Mika Koivu is on the roster but doesn't seem to be playing. Teemu Selanne must be 45 years old! I'm amazed he doesn't need new knees! Think it would kill my knees playing that sport!

Anyway, 'we're' doing well so far... bit shaky v Austria I hear, but there wasn't much of the match v Norway that Suomi didn't control, and even when Norway were on top, Finland came away and scored from a breakaway anyway! :cool:

Canada on Sunday! Only the top four qualify for the Q-Fs as of right, so every win is vital, and if it makes Canada's route more difficult, so much the better.
  • Options
    draig gochdraig goch Posts: 1,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really looking forward to tomorrow, USA v Russia at lunchtime, which has the potential to be the game of the tournament.

I must say I'm happy with Premier Sports coverage of Elite League games so far (although maybe I'm biased being a season ticket holder at one of the clubs). The highlights show leaves a bit to be desired (not Premier's fault as they can only work with the footage they're given), but the live games have been very enjoyable.

Admittedly the level's not exactly NHL standard, but that's like comparing Premier League football to League 2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    draig goch wrote: »
    Really looking forward to tomorrow, USA v Russia at lunchtime, which has the potential to be the game of the tournament.

I must say I'm happy with Premier Sports coverage of Elite League games so far (although maybe I'm biased being a season ticket holder at one of the clubs). The highlights show leaves a bit to be desired (not Premier's fault as they can only work with the footage they're given), but the live games have been very enjoyable.

Admittedly the level's not exactly NHL standard, but that's like comparing Premier League football to League 2.

I guess your talking about the TV coverage?? Our game is probably closer to Conference North/South to be honest. Again as much as I blame the Super League as was, at least with the wage caps we had in place we were probably at a level somewhere between AHL and ECHL. A few Canadian friends who saw some Super League said it was comparable to the AHL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What a start to the day with the Slovenian's beating the Slovak's 3-1, I was gutted they didn't get the shut out, what with the Slovak's goal coming 17 seconds from the end. They may be the underdogs in this tourney, but they have put a huge showing with the game against Russia and now this.