andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
If Scotland go independant then I'm planning to move to Newcastle

What's it like?

Comments

• TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was in Newcastle this past weekend and had no problems. The people we met were friendly and it seemed no more dangerous than any other city.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    It's fine, as long as you stay away from the West End
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Like anywhere we have good and bad....You hear about the bad because that is newsworthy

Overall it is a safe and good place to live. Rough parts? Sure. But where doesn't have those
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Scotland go independant then I'm planning to move to Newcastle

What's it like?

I'm guessing you're Scottish and will not be happy if you get independence, so would want to move south but not too far from Scotland?
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit drastic

I'm from The North East and I currently live in Falkirk, don't think I would move back but then I don't think there will be a Yes vote.

Newcastle is fine, but like everywhere, there's places you would not like to live.

I'm originally from Stanley, apparently the cheapest place to live in England, per square foot. If you ever visit you will understand why :( feel sad to ever say that about the place you were brought up and lived for 30 years.
  • JordanT91JordanT91 Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newcastle is brilliant, though I am biased. The city centre (the 'town') is compact (about a mile and a half across) with everything in it like shopping, bars, clubs, museums, cinema etc. You don't need to use transport to get across the city centre. Across the river there is the Metro Centre which is the biggest shopping centre in Europe, or it was at one point. Public transport is okay, good if you live close to a Metro station.

To the east and north east you have the coast with some of the best beaches in the country, to the north and west you have Northumberland with Hadrians Wall, Kielder and the Lake District is only 2 hours drive away.

There are certain areas of Newcastle where you want to avoid if you can (most of the west end, Byker, Wallsend) but it all depends on your price range. The better areas are Jesmond, Gosforth, Ponteland, Darras Hall and there are some very nice rural villages 30 minutes drive away like Wylam and Heddon on the Wall. It is a very cheap city to buy property in though, especially if you compare it to the southern cities. £150k will get you a nice 4 bedroom house in a decent area.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to get into a fight with a spotty drunken 15yr old then the Bigg Market is the place for you - however be warned the boys are worse
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm originally from Stanley, apparently the cheapest place to live in England, per square foot. If you ever visit you will understand why :( feel sad to ever say that about the place you were brought up and lived for 30 years.

My mother was from Annfield Plain, I know what you mean.

Lovely part of the world, if you avoid the sort of places that anywhere has.

I prefer Durham meself though.
  • TheToonArmyTheToonArmy Posts: 2,908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    My mother was from Annfield Plain, I know what you mean.

Lovely part of the world, if you avoid the sort of places that anywhere has.

I prefer Durham meself though.

Lived in the plain for some of my childhood, next to the park and then again before we moved to Falkirk.
  • InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    Lived in Newcastle as a student until a month ago and I absolutely loved it.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    It's fine, as long as you stay away from the West End

Where precisely is the West End? Elswick, Benwell, Fenham, Cowgate? My old stamping grounds till I was 22.