Rylan's rectangle

13»

Comments

• planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Can somebody tell me how that Shape of the Day rectangle relates to Alicia please?
    Maybe I'm thick too but I don't understand the connection.

in the house she was explaining her young daughter was learning her shapes and she was learning along with her Katie H, Michelle et ridiculed her "learning her shapes?" said in exaggerated unbelieving voice.
    So the production thought "i know this women has been ridiculed for "having one brain cell" "being thick" even though she has explained she is dyslexic, let's take the pee out of her with this very witty skit ;what makes it even funnier is Rylan, although a mathmatical genius working for Cern, can't use the word 'was' correctly will add credibility to his high horse of ridicule"
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    But there are two problems with that:

1/ Rylan was not ridiculing Alicia for being thick.

2/ Rylan's speech is not proof of anything where intellect is concerned.

How on earth can you say he was not ridiculing her!?! Did you see it?!?
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a poor, cheap dig at Rylan. We all know (or should do by now) that the show is scripted. They have earpieces and autocue.

Rylan didn't magic up a picture of a rectangle.

Your annoyance should be directed at the producers not the messenger.

My annoyance is at the producers. That we are going to have the awful Rylan five nights a week when BB is on in the summer. I just hope that thebigoted Louisa is not his sidekick.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ridicule is way too strong a word - it was a little joke, at the expense of her 'learning her shapes'. She was clearly not learning rectangles and triangles, so the joke was in the extreme exaggeration of what she said could imply.

If she had said 'I don't know what a rectangle is' and then the segment was shown, then it would be direct ridicule, but the exaggeration makes it a ribbing at most.

It happens all the time and people get it. Only on here is it ridicule and bullying.

However, I think we all see that it is the producers who were behind it, not Rylan, so why he is getting attacked for it (presumably ridiculed/bullied) I don't know, and what the way he speaks has to do with it seems just a reason to be nasty - you know, picking on him for something which is not his fault.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    in the house she was explaining her young daughter was learning her shapes and she was learning along with her Katie H, Michelle et ridiculed her "learning her shapes?" said in exaggerated unbelieving voice.
    So the production thought "i know this women has been ridiculed for "having one brain cell" "being thick" even though she has explained she is dyslexic, let's take the pee out of her with this very witty skit ;what makes it even funnier is Rylan, although a mathmatical genius working for Cern, can't use the word 'was' correctly will add credibility to his high horse of ridicule"

I see. Thanks.

For the people who were mocking her I wonder if they know what a rhomboid is, an isosceles triangle, an equilateral triangle, or how many sides a pentagon or a heptagon has?
  • adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cat- wrote: »
    I also just want to add that it's no crime to not know the difference because some people may have reason not to.

However when you slate someone else for their lack of education when you prove to be a complete ignoramus yourself, then it's all guns out.

Nobody has said it's a crime to use poor English, but it's not what one expects from a professional TV presenter.
  • adwaltonadwalton Posts: 4,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He is only reading a script. The producers would have created the shapes item, not Rylan
  • SammmymackSammmymack Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should still know the difference between was and were - the rest is deflection.
    In the Essex accent was is used for were.Interestingly they also still use the old English plural of you ie "yous" which was once the correct form of the plural pronoun.
    I'm sure he writes correct formal English.
  • puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Much as I agree about the segment mocking Alicia's lack of shape knowledge, I would just say that I imagine it had little to do with Rylan and more to do with the BOTS producers who, I imagine, arrange the show and all that is to be featured on it.

He could refuse on moral grounds or he could look less happy and ott and enthusiastic about doing it. It was unnecessary, I saw Nadia turn and hold her hand.
  • Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    you seem to be deliberately misreading patsy's posts.

I am NOT 'deliberately' misreading Patsy's posts at all! Shame on you for even suggesting I would do such a thing.
    what patsy has repeatedly said she is upset about is Rylan ridiculing Alicia for being "thick". The fact that he is no shining intellect as witnessed by his basic ineptitude in using the word "was" correctly, highlights the irony of someone getting on their high horse to ridicule someone else for being "thick".

'Getting on their high horse' didn't you say you hadn't watched the segment? (It lasted less than a minute.) No way was Rylan 'on his high horse' Plus, he wasn't responsible for the inclusion of the segment. Any blame should be laid at the producers door.

The only person I see on their 'high horse' is the person who called someone a 'halfwit' for using 'was instead of were'.
  • Penfolds_placePenfolds_place Posts: 865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »
    Nobody has said it's a crime to use poor English, but it's not what one expects from a professional TV presenter.

I think a show like BBOTS has always had a relaxed colloquial feel to it. It's hardly news night! :D. I have done alright for myself academically but in general conversation with friends I don't speak the queens english. That's not how people spoke where I grew up. If I am in a formal setting like an interview I'll watch my language, but I'm not too worried if I say "could of" instead of "could have" when I'm down the pub or chatting to a mate.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could refuse on moral grounds or he could look less happy and ott and enthusiastic about doing it. It was unnecessary, I saw Nadia turn and hold her hand.

I was trying to remember and I don't think I ever saw Russel when he did the show ridicule in the way Rylan does, he was a complete nut case and OTT all the time but he wasn't nasty to the HMs I always thought he was actually quite kind especially to the more fragile ones. The show really has deteriorated over the years.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adwalton wrote: »

^^This. I deplore the 'gentle ribbing' which was outright bullying, but even more I am appalled that anyone who cannot speak the Queen's English is a presenter.

We are bombarded daily with the plain thick and those who WILL NOT learn. I don't want to suffer through it on television. If that makes me a snob, then I am happy to accept the accolade.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Sammmymack wrote: »
    In the Essex accent was is used for were.Interestingly they also still use the old English plural of you ie "yous" which was once the correct form of the plural pronoun.
    I'm sure he writes correct formal English.

You seem to be using "accent" when you mean dialect.
    Accent refers to sound.
    Dialect refers to different word usage, grammar etc.

Well maybe he could hold up a cue card with the correct language written on it next time.:)
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You seem to be using "accent" when you mean dialect.
    Accent refers to sound.
    Dialect refers to different word usage, grammar etc.

Well maybe he could hold up a cue card with the correct language written on it next time.:)

:D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I can't see it improving anytime soon, just had a bit of a bust up with our wards school because the teacher told her off for her spelling of Naughty according to the teacher the correct spelling was norty - can't tell you how angry that made us we have spent a lot of time on spelling with her and to have a teacher try to ruin that >:(

It's quite scary if you want to correct a letter that you've handed to a typist too. i.e. I once passed a letter to be typed which included the phrase 'the college' . It was passed back to me for signing changed to 'the College'. I asked very nicely if she would change it as 'college' would have a small 'c' unless it referred to a particular college i.e. lets say 'Manchester College' or 'London College'. I received a storm of abuse from her for daring to suggest she was wrong. I ended up typing my own letters for peace!:cool: