Options

Jeremy Clarkson New Motoring Programme Thread

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
No not another Top Gear thread its the Not Top Gear Thread :D

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/19/jeremy-clarkson-set-to-unveil-new-motoring-show-within-weeks
Jeremy Clarkson is expected to unveil a new motoring show to rival Top Gear in the next few weeks, with three broadcasters vying to sign up the presenter.

ITV and the US on-demand services Netflix and Amazon are understood to be the frontrunners to sign Clarkson, who was axed from the BBC2 show earlier this year after punching one of its producers.

Clarkson is set to be joined by both of his former Top Gear co-presenters, Richard Hammond and James May, with “three huge companies” competing to sign the stars. “They have had offers and they are close to making a decision about what they want to do,” an industry source said.

ITV really need every male viewer they can get these days, if they do it well they could have a real success if they do it badly then......well they can't afford to get it wrong should they be the home to the new programme.

Netflix and Amazon have a few obvious advantages - no ad breaks, no need to worry about scaring the horses, the programme format can be anything it wants to be and any length of edition to boot. On the other hand how many people will pay who are not already subscribers, how many new accounts would this show generate? Would FTA rights be made available and if so on what terms and to whom?

Comments

• Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing for sure, it will be better then Chris Evans doing Top Gear.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes lets get on it, good idea :)
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    One thing for sure, it will be better then Chris Evans doing Top Gear.

Can you let me know where you've seen Top Gear with Chris Evans, because I haven't even heard who will be co-presenting, yet you seem to have had advanced viewing.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clarkson's PR man is working hard but I'm not convinced.It can't be ''like'' Top Gear because the BBC own the format.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we get away from Top Gear it's dead it will never be the same, this is a new adventure a new show with hopefully all the boys with no ties to the BBC whatsoever.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like many shows you take it away from the BBC....It fails big time....

Whilst many will forgive JC many will also know he is a bully, he brought on his own downfall and took May and Hammond down with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I don't think I'll be discussing anything about this here any longer, at DS this thread is doomed OP.

Just one thing it will not fail, they have over millions of followers one of the FB pages alone has 600k and they will take more than half of Top Gears viewers or more, haters are never going to let it go.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Clarkson's PR man is working hard but I'm not convinced.It can't be ''like'' Top Gear because the BBC own the format.

They can't and haven't copyrighted 3 people messing about in cars and things going wrong.

And that along with their general interaction was what made the show what it was.

They don't really need a bloke in a racing suit and they could easily replace "Start in a reasonably priced car" with celebrity test drive or similar.

The fact is that in the shake up the BBC threw out the best bit that made Top Gear what it was and kept a studio and a bloke in a race suit.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    Can you let me know where you've seen Top Gear with Chris Evans, because I haven't even heard who will be co-presenting, yet you seem to have had advanced viewing.

With wicked timing, Evans is the SIARPC tomorrow on BBC3! I predict higher than normal ratings for this repeat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can we get away from Top Gear it's dead it will never be the same, this is a new adventure a new show with hopefully all the boys with no ties to the BBC whatsoever.

Yes,

"Clarkson, Hammond & May"

The names and the people who are bigger than Top Gear.

Especially as Top Gear is now just a boring little car show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I don't think I'll be discussing anything about this here any longer, at DS this thread is doomed OP.

Just one thing it will not fail, they have over millions of followers one of the FB pages alone has 600k and they will take more than half of Top Gears viewers or more, haters are never going to let it go.

If only they could sign and make a few shows to be shown at Xmas ahead of the BBC's new car show.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,

"Clarkson, Hammond & May"

The names and the people who are bigger than Top Gear.

Especially as Top Gear is now just a boring little car show.

We've no idea how "boring" will be the new Top Gear. Or "little car show" as you call it.

You'll have to wait and see if anyone will risk employing the three stooges in a new car show. It'll certainly be "little" if it isn't presented by the BBC and commercial networks won't put up with any of Clarkson's antics.

He's still bleating on about "someone at the BBC" asked him to come back to Top Gear. In his dreams.
    He's just trying to keep his name in the papers, the public is very fickle and he could be easily forgotten by many.

A week's a long time in show business....... How long has it been now?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CHiMps won't be "little" as it will be worldwide on the torrent sites seconds after finishing and live via streaming.

It will have the worldwide audience it always had. This is 2015.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member
    They are doing a worldwide tour, and Clarkson said to Chris Evans that they have only just begun thinking about pitching to TV networks.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Imagine being able to hold a grown up discussion on DS about this programme.

Nope.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only watched Top Gear on Dave. This will take at least 18 months to affect me.
  • Options
    ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Motoring? I haven't heard that expression since those famous Esso ads.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can't and haven't copyrighted 3 people messing about in cars and things going wrong.

And that along with their general interaction was what made the show what it was.

They don't really need a bloke in a racing suit and they could easily replace "Start in a reasonably priced car" with celebrity test drive or similar.

The fact is that in the shake up the BBC threw out the best bit that made Top Gear what it was and kept a studio and a bloke in a race suit.

If so then it will just convince many people that they are stuck in a rut and just repeating the same old lame gags.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ohglobbits wrote: »
    Motoring? I haven't heard that expression since those famous Esso ads.

Well "Motoring" covers everything that travels on the roads excluding cyclists.

So not just "a car show" or "a show about cars".

It could including exciting things like caravans and ambulances! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lundavra wrote: »
    If so then it will just convince many people that they are stuck in a rut and just repeating the same old lame gags.

Well millions upon millions were tuning in to watch just that. And in the last series they were even simulcasting it at the same time as it went out in the UK to the rest of the world. Such was the demand.

People like yourself would put down Laurel and Hardy as all they ever did was the same old lame gags of the skinny one screwing up and the fat one getting it in the fact. But to the rest of the world they were a great success.

May I suggest that you watch a great new show coming up by that zany presenter, Chris Evens. He iz like well wikkid and down with da kids, innit.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
    Forum Member
    Is it assume May & Hammond will be in this new venture?

What if they decide not to be involved ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Is it assume May & Hammond will be in this new venture?

What if they decide not to be involved ?

Ah! Different thread, same hypothetical leading post.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    So the Beeb doesn't make their talent sign their contracts with non-compete clauses, eh?
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I just say that I think personally that Clarkson is a first class prize knob BUT he IS the best presenter for this type of show. Love him or hate him he IS Top Gear and hopefully a new show will continue with him at the helm. The camaraderie between the three is like three old school friends having a good old laugh together.

I'm not a massive TG fan but love dipping in and out and can't see how this show could possibly survive without him and believe me I'm not a Clarkson fan and do think he deserved to be sacked for what he did. He was stupid to do what he did and anyone else would have been sacked for his liabilities ages ago so he really was on his last and final chance but credit where it's due here. He's made that show what it is and any attempt to copy it with another presenter will just fail.

It's like trying to replace Morcambe & Wise or The Two Ronnies with another act. This was a true one off partnership and will never be able to be replaced.

Off screen he's an over opinionated bigoted moron but on screen he's a likable fool. Unlike Evans who is an irritating borefest.
  • Options
    Lee_BromleyLee_Bromley Posts: 172
    Forum Member
    I don't see the point of mauling new Top Gear when it hasn't even been made yet, but it will never be the same as the outgoing version. It would have been like trying to carry on making Breaking Bad with different actors; the name of the show and the storyline is the same but that's where it ends. I have no doubt that it will be well made and more about cars than having accidents with caravans etc, but Clarkson and co have built a colossal audience doing that type of dumbed-down silly stuff and there's no reason why they can't carry on where they left off with that formula. That is, however, if they don't have to pussyfoot around car manufacturers that may be helping to fund the show through advertising. That's where being on the BBC suited Top Gear. They could say anything they wanted about any car without a tap on the shoulder from the bean counters.

Also, you only have to look at the pitiful viewing figures of Clarkson's recent videos on YouTube without the Top Gear branding behind them to see that it will never be the same for the dynamic trio.