Has ITV Breakfast syndrome started to spread into the rest of ITV?

90s fan90s fan Posts: 204
Forum Member
I notice lately the ITV Breakfast syndrome where the ratings are poor and the lack of direction are starting to spread to the rest of ITV's output. News may struggle with the revamp of the team and the format, new entertainment hits are patchy (save for Ninja Warrior) and the factual output are struggling. Even Lorriane and This Morning are getting low ratings.

I think ITV have put all the attention to the production business making profits but not bother about putting effort to the main ITV channel.

In 2013 ITV had a good year and it thought it was going in the right direction but since then it has lost momentum, it hasn't helped that Peter Fincham's management leadership has gone all samey.

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You say the news may struggle with the changes coming... It already is struggling, that's why they're making changes...
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    90s fan wrote: »
    I notice lately the ITV Breakfast syndrome where the ratings are poor and the lack of direction are starting to spread to the rest of ITV's output. News may struggle with the revamp of the team and the format, new entertainment hits are patchy (save for Ninja Warrior) and the factual output are struggling. Even Lorriane and This Morning are getting low ratings.

I think ITV have put all the attention to the production business making profits but not bother about putting effort to the main ITV channel.

In 2013 ITV had a good year and it thought it was going in the right direction but since then it has lost momentum, it hasn't helped that Peter Fincham's management leadership has gone all samey.

ITV has totally lost it's way. It's obsession and focus with soap, reality and Cowell are killing it. Then there are the frequent, lengthy ad breaks...
  • johnathomejohnathome Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ash_M1 wrote: »
    ITV has totally lost it's way. It's obsession and focus with soap, reality and Cowell are killing it. Then there are the frequent, lengthy ad breaks...

Totally agree with that, this reality stuff is mind-numbingly crap. I just find it hard to believe that people actually watch it.

Do they not have a brain cell?
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This is true, but you forgot to mention ITVs obsession with "celebrities".
  • mfrmfr Posts: 5,619
    Forum Member
    johnathome wrote: »
    Totally agree with that, this reality stuff is mind-numbingly crap. I just find it hard to believe that people actually watch it.

Do they not have a brain cell?

Is there any need to be so judgemental? After a hard week at work or looking after the kids, it could well be that people want to relax and enjoy some unchallenging but essentially fun entertainment.

I don't want ITV at all, except occasionally for the local news, but I recognise that millions love it.

As for lengthy commercial breaks... It's a commercial station! Surely that's a good sign!
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »
    Is there any need to be so judgemental? After a hard week at work or looking after the kids, it could well be that people want to relax and enjoy some unchallenging but essentially fun entertainment.

I don't want ITV at all, except occasionally for the local news, but I recognise that millions love it.

As for lengthy commercial breaks... It's a commercial station! Surely that's a good sign!

Quite so but the ITV today is not a patch on the ITV when i was younger we had World in Action, Minder,the Sweeney The Bill ect ect quality Drama/Comedy,what is now left Jeremy Kyle Reality TV wall to wall,and hardly any quiality except low quality.

Where is the stuff to make people think,i can understand people wanting "Unchallenging Stuff" but sitting down to watch that alone which is what ITV now offer surely must bore even them?

ITV really has lost its way but then again so has TV generally low common denominator shows reality pap,and lack of quality.

I have already decided when my TV breaks down its going as its just not worth having one these days save to watch my DVDs on.:(:(
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mfr wrote: »

Is it a 'good sign'?

In the past they were able to be very profitable with much shorter advertising interruptions. Suggests that they are not able to charge as much for the adverts or perhaps the majority of the viewing is in the peak hours and not enough viewers (or wrong type of viewer) outside those periods to be able to raise much from adverts. Or they could just be greedy. :)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Quite so but the ITV today is not a patch on the ITV when i was younger we had World in Action, Minder,the Sweeney The Bill ect ect quality Drama/Comedy,what is now left Jeremy Kyle Reality TV wall to wall,and hardly any quiality except low quality.

Where is the stuff to make people think,i can understand people wanting "Unchallenging Stuff" but sitting down to watch that alone which is what ITV now offer surely must bore even them?

ITV really has lost its way but then again so has TV generally low common denominator shows reality pap,and lack of quality.

I have already decided when my TV breaks down its going as its just not worth having one these days save to watch my DVDs on.:(:(

And of course you don't need a TV licence if you can show you're only using the set as a monitor:D
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because no people at ITV actually like television broadcasting in all it's wondrous glory they are not doing it.

So it becomes all about asset stripping their old programmes. Eventually that'll implode on ITV.

What will they do then I wonder?
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Says a lot when even Channel 5 has more on then ITV these days with a debate show on weekdays mornings.
  • A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV lost its way for viewers when Adam Crozier took over, he has focused on profits only not viewers. So its repeat of a repeat of a recycled show that the BBC would be hauled over the coals with by the Daily Mail.

Tonight 3.5 hours of new and varied shows on BBC1 and ITV has the We are closed all on our summer holidays sign up until September.

To ITV is low viewers in summer so lets not bother and wake on long old films again and again and repeat last Sundays drama, they think the viewers will be low and so not make any money so do not bother.

Thank god BBC is not commercial for those of us still here.

ITVs next programme is over reliance on a few big hitters, paying far too much to SyCo for BGT and XF and also committing to I was a celebrity get me in here as my career ended.

Remember when we had This is your life, Comedy like George and Mildred, Opportunity knocks, New Faces, The comedians. Give us a clue, Strike it lucky etc.

Now its Jeremy Vile and Cheap Documentaries as fillers. All to pay of the X BBC presenters that they poach.
  • Ash_M1Ash_M1 Posts: 18,703
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    ITV lost its way for viewers when Adam Crozier took over, he has focused on profits only not viewers. So its repeat of a repeat of a recycled show that the BBC would be hauled over the coals with by the Daily Mail.

Tonight 3.5 hours of new and varied shows on BBC1 and ITV has the We are closed all on our summer holidays sign up until September.

To ITV is low viewers in summer so lets not bother and wake on long old films again and again and repeat last Sundays drama, they think the viewers will be low and so not make any money so do not bother.

ITVs next programme is over reliance on a few big hitters, paying far too much to SyCo for BGT and XF and also committing to I was a celebrity get me in here as my career ended.

Remember when we had This is your life, Comedy like George and Mildred, Opportunity knocks, New Faces, The comedians. Give us a clue, Strike it lucky etc.

Now its Jeremy Vile and Cheap Documentaries as fillers. All to pay of the X BBC presenters that they poach.

Excellent post in every respect and ITV wonder why viewers are switching off in droves.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member
    Another glaring example of ITV executives paying no attention to reality.

"W1A has won multiple awards being a sharp satire of behind the scenes at the BBC,
    so if we do a sitcom set behind the scenes at BGT - then it too will win many awards."

Except....The X-Factor musical bombed spectacularly.
    And Cowell (and ITV) would not possibly countenance allowing the kind of critical satire that the BBC allows about itself.

Everything ITV does is perfect in the eyes of it's executives - it never does anything wrong, ever.
  • finluxfinlux Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Excellent post in every respect and ITV wonder why viewers are switching off in droves.

Indeed. I've said this so many times - ITV is now run by money men & not programme makers. It is a pale imitation of itself.

Lew Grade & Sidney Bernstein et al must be spinning in their graves :(
  • Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's as bad for ITV as it was in terms of narrowly-focused, repetitive programming but it still isn't great. It seems whenever Cowell is taking a break between his talent shows, all they know how to do is stick a movie on. That's fine but a random movie every Saturday night doesn't build an audience over time.

Don't get me wrong it's great to watch Harry Potter one week, Jurassic Park the next - but it's disturbing that 'throw a movie on' is the only thing they have to offer on Saturday night if Cowell is on a hiatus.

One of the problems is that if you dislike day-time TV (or work so you can't ever see it) and aren't keen on soaps and talent shows - ITV offers you next to nothing, or at least that's the imrpession.

For example I wouldn't ever think about switching to see what's on ITV because, for me, it's the home of soaps and talent shows and those are two things that wouldn't appeal to me. It's fine having these things on your channel and I'm sure they do great ratings but ITV's issue is that they've allowed themselves to become defined by them. They probably struggle with everyone else outside soap fans and talent show contest enthusiasts because for years and years they've painted themselves as the home of soaps and the place to be for talent show enthusiasts.

You can't do that as relentlessly as they have for as long as they have and be surprised when people aren't conducive to listening to what else they have to offer. People, at least people like me, have totally switched off ITV as even being a consideration during prime time because it's been drummed into us for so long that the station isn't for us, it's for the people who want to watch wall-to-wall soaps of a weekday and Simon Cowell/Amanda Holden/Louis Walsh say "you're what this competition's all about" to some teenager on Saturday nights.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,404
    Forum Member

TIYL, the Monday night comedy sitcoms (inc. George and Mildred etc), Opp Knocks, Give us a Clue, were all Thames programmes, and when Carlton took over that all went.
    Men Behaving Badly was on Thames and was "let go" so the BBC took it over.

New Faces was ATV/ Central who also did the Childrens programmes, which went when Carlton took it over.

Agree with Ash aand Finlux, ITV was great when it had "Entertainmnent impersarios" running the businesses, and it made the BBC up it's game.
    Now the BBC does not have to try, but can still come up with great, innovative shows.

We need a strong commercial sector to make the BBC greater.
    SKY is doing more sitcoms than ITV.
    Dave is doing more original comedy shows than ITV

All US networks are stuffed choc full of sitcoms as they are big ratings winners, if they take off.
    ITV is choc full of soaps, Kyle and Cowell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Formula E is on ITV now but would anyone notice? As its unusual output.
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Formula E is on ITV now but would anyone notice? As its unusual output.

I don't think many is interested in a Formula E anyway.:D
  • Hamlet77Hamlet77 Posts: 22,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot remember how long ago it was a I made to effort to watch anything on ITV 1,2,3 or 4

There is something up IMHO.
  • West End BoyWest End Boy Posts: 870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I sometimes wonder if we look at tv from times gone by with rose tinted specs. itv in the 70's relied on American imports like Charlie's Angels, Hawaii Five O, Six million dollar man, the Bionic Woman, the list goes on, but you get my point. Quiz shows like 321 and Comedies like George and Mildred were hardly top notch.

Now days itv is heavily dependent on the soaps, they need to reduce their output with the eventually goal of ditching them. We live in hope. ;-)

It would be nice to have some mid evening hour drama's that run for say a 12 week run. Also some sit coms perhaps? although the genre is pretty dead. UK TV in general is in a pretty stale state on all channels. The ratings reflect this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When there is nothing on UK TV, Just watch YouTube or listen to BBC Radio 4 which has some great programmes.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    I think the effects of austerity in the UK has had a knock on effect on programming. Some studios have had to scale back or cease production because of this. If anything the 2010s will be forever known as the wasteland of UK Television, unless the next five years proves us wrong.

The BBC does indeed try, and even some of the dubious comissions, it shows an effort. It does make you wonder with ITV if the budget is ringfenced just for the Cowell crap, soaps and now Jezza. I remember nine/ten years ago, ITV DID have drama on in the height of summer and that was "Bad Girls". It also did well viewers wise as 2005 and 2006 were very hot summers! Fast-forward to 2015, we've cheapo docus that wouldn't look out of place on Pick TV!!

The money men run ITV as mentioned and it shows. This is why the BBC needs to be saved and not sold off. Be very careful what you wish for.....
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if we look at tv from times gone by with rose tinted specs. itv in the 70's relied on American imports like Charlie's Angels, Hawaii Five O, Six million dollar man, the Bionic Woman, the list goes on, but you get my point. Quiz shows like 321 and Comedies like George and Mildred were hardly top notch.

Now days itv is heavily dependent on the soaps, they need to reduce their output with the eventually goal of ditching them. We live in hope. ;-)

It would be nice to have some mid evening hour drama's that run for say a 12 week run. Also some sit coms perhaps? although the genre is pretty dead. UK TV in general is in a pretty stale state on all channels. The ratings reflect this.

Look at old TV listings and you see how dire most TV in the 70's was, there were soaps (not as many as now), lots of game shows, lots of corny sitcoms, lots of US and Aussie imports (some of dubious quality), the biggest shame is the lack of decent current affairs output on all the PSB channels.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    I was thinking we could do with a decent debate show. Not political or religious influenced, but something like ITV used to have with "The Time, The Place" and "Central Weekend". Why not fill the slot where the Jezza repeats are with this? But on one condition - not that **** Katie Hopkins, Jezza or any other zeleb on there.
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    I don't think many is interested in a Formula E anyway.:D

First time ive watched it & seems better & more entertaining then boring F1 that ive given up on after 25+ years as a fan.

Added bonus is NO Suzi Perry & also NO annoying Sky coverage either.