Options

Short break in Edinburgh

abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm going to Edinburgh for a couple of days which of course isn't long enough to take in everything so I want to make the most of the time I do have there. What would you say are the not-to-be-missed places to see? I've heard mixed reviews of the Castle for example. I'm considering the hop-on-hop-off bus tours as you get lots of info as well as a way of seeing everything but even that has a bewildering number of choices!

Comments

• Options
    babinabababinaba Posts: 5,447
    Forum Member
    I'm going to Edinburgh for a couple of days which of course isn't long enough to take in everything so I want to make the most of the time I do have there. What would you say are the not-to-be-missed places to see? I've heard mixed reviews of the Castle for example. I'm considering the hop-on-hop-off bus tours as you get lots of info as well as a way of seeing everything but even that has a bewildering number of choices!

When are you going? Not exact dates but month/time of year
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    depends when your going, festival is soon and its an amazing experience, just walking about the streets watching all the street performers is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Theres lots to do in edinburgh but at this time of year it more depends on when your coming
  • Options
    Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    The zoo is worth checking out, but it's a bit hilly, the pandas can be miserable gits if they're low on bamboo shoots.
    About a tenner in a black cab from North Bridge/Princes Street area.
  • Options
    punkyfish50punkyfish50 Posts: 1,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get a good feel of historic Edinburgh just wander the streets of the Old Town - there are all sorts of interesting shops, pubs and other nooks and crannies and part of the fun is discovering things by chance.

How much you enjoy the castle depends on the extent of your interest in Scotland's political and military history but if this is your bag, there's plenty to see there.

If you're feeling energetic, spend half a day climbing Arthur's Seat, the big hill (and former volcano) overlooking Holyrood. It's a bit of a hike but the views from the top on a clear day are stunning.

Far less of a climb, Calton Hill also has some fine views of the city and the national monument and other historic structures.

Incidentally the bus service in Edinburgh is very good and relatively cheap (£4 for a day ticket) and you can get around the city centre and go out to the zoo and Leith (for shopping at Ocean Plaza and the royal yacht) very easily.
  • Options
    Rincewind78Rincewind78 Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keep an eye on groupon,
    But I wouldn't recommend you come during the whole of August -
    The festival is an amazing experience, but the cost of accomadation in the city is sky high!!
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    Zoo is good but as someone else mentioned its very hilly so take a good pair of walking shoes. Easily spend the full day there.

Castle is great but sometimes it gets very full and there can be long long queues.

Camera Obscura is good - great views over the City if its a nice day

The Royal Yacht Britannia is worth a look to see how the other half live.

The Dungeons

Also Edinburgh is well stocked with fantastic restaurants, quite a few Michelin started ones so you could treat yourself.

The bus tour is well worth it
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Depends on your interests but there are lots of art galleries, museums, pubs, restaurants, historical buildings, street performers, lots of little shops selling all sorts of stuff. If you like crime fiction you can visit The Oxford Bar, watering hole of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus. For something more spooky there's Mary King's Close http://www.realmarykingsclose.com/plan-your-visit/opening-times-and-prices.aspx
    Some suggestions here http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g186525-Activities-Edinburgh_Scotland.html
    Have a great time but be prepared for some unpredictable weather :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for all your suggestions! I'm going this Monday so will miss the main Festival but I see this as the first of many visits and just want to take in the basics this time, so to speak. Just wish I had longer! It's true that it is quite expensive at this time of year but I've found something which is reasonable and highly-praised.

There's lots of great suggestions here so thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If you're going next week there's a jass and blues festival on until next weekend. Great if you like that genre of music (which I do).

I don't really have anything to add over what those have said previously. The outside of the castle is ruined at the moment because of the Tattoo seating structures ;)

Have a great time. I'm in Edinburgh quite often so feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh and check out Sandemans - I believe they do a free walking tour in Edinburgh which might be of interest to you. I did their tour in Berlin recently and they were really good
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Western Bar off Lothian Road is well worth visiting, a cultural treat for lovers of traditional Gaelic music and freeform dance.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am off to Edinburgh in the Autumn with my wife and kids, so am following this thread with interest. We plan only to do 1 day in Edinburgh which I know is not enough, but we only have 4 days in total and plan to spend the others visiting Glasgow, and then two days around Loch Lomond.

One thing "we" (or rather "I") really want to do is to travel across the Forth Rail bridge. I was thinking of parking up at Dalmeny Station (?), getting a train across, and then getting a return train back again shortly afterwards. Does that sound worth doing, if you are into rail bridges, or is there a better way to "experience" the bridge?

Also if we are doing this, would Dalmeny be a suitable place to park up and get the train into Edinburgh itself.

Also, assuming we have the Friday, Saturday and Sunday available in late September, what would be the best day of those to visit Edinburgh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    I am off to Edinburgh in the Autumn with my wife and kids, so am following this thread with interest. We plan only to do 1 day in Edinburgh which I know is not enough, but we only have 4 days in total and plan to spend the others visiting Glasgow, and then two days around Loch Lomond.

One thing "we" (or rather "I") really want to do is to travel across the Forth Rail bridge. I was thinking of parking up at Dalmeny Station (?), getting a train across, and then getting a return train back again shortly afterwards. Does that sound worth doing, if you are into rail bridges, or is there a better way to "experience" the bridge?

Also if we are doing this, would Dalmeny be a suitable place to park up and get the train into Edinburgh itself.

Also, assuming we have the Friday, Saturday and Sunday available in late September, what would be the best day of those to visit Edinburgh?

You wouldn't really get to see much of the bridge sitting on a train in my opinion? You can walk across the road bridge next to the rail bridge which will give you a good view of it, or you can take a boat trip which goes under both bridges (and the new one), or park up underneath the rail bridge on the Fife side for a good view of it which is a bit different? Just some suggestions :)

Maybe if you want to take the train though to get off at one of the wee seaside towns in Fife to have a little wander.

Oh and personally I'd choose the Friday as it might be slightly (maybe!) quieter!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    If you're going next week there's a jass and blues festival on until next weekend. Great if you like that genre of music (which I do).

I don't really have anything to add over what those have said previously. The outside of the castle is ruined at the moment because of the Tattoo seating structures ;)

Have a great time. I'm in Edinburgh quite often so feel free to pm me if you have any specific questions and I'll do my best to help! :)

Thank you! I'm not a jazz and blues fan but hearing it played live in the streets is very different to hearing it on a studio album so I'm looking forward to strolling around and getting immersed in the whole atmosphere. I'd like to visit the quirkier shops and markets - if I wanted to go to a chain store I could stay at home!

Shame about the Castle! I keep reading how it's mega-busy so you don't really get to see the exhibitions because of the crowds, so I may leave that until a quieter time of the year (IS there a quieter time of the year?!). I'm thinking about Leith, and the Royal Yacht, and definitely a climb up Carlton hill if it's not wet, (I do a lot of walking) and a museum if it's raining. I know you can get around easily on foot or by bus but I love the guided bus tours - you learn so much and I like hopping on and off at will, so I'll probably stick with that. I love all the suggestions here - if I had more time I'd probably do the boat trip which has been mentioned. In fact, I still might!

I'm feeling VERY excited!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    babinaba wrote: »
    You wouldn't really get to see much of the bridge sitting on a train in my opinion? You can walk across the road bridge next to the rail bridge which will give you a good view of it, or you can take a boat trip which goes under both bridges (and the new one), or park up underneath the rail bridge on the Fife side for a good view of it which is a bit different? Just some suggestions :)

Maybe if you want to take the train though to get off at one of the wee seaside towns in Fife to have a little wander.

Oh and personally I'd choose the Friday as it might be slightly (maybe!) quieter!

Many thanks. A boat trip is a great idea and will look into that!
  • Options
    hayleyghayleyg Posts: 15,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recommend Mary Kings Close located on the Royal Mile..its the underground reportedly haunted city, where all the lepers were sent to live..

Have a great time Edinburgh is a beautiful place..

If you're into musuems the National Museum just off North Bridge by Greyfriars is a brilliant way to pass a couple of hours and free to enter
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm back! I took some advice and signed up for the open top bus tours which were brilliant. Great way to see the city and pick up some history at the same time.

DMN1968, given you only have one day in Edinburgh and want to do the Forth Bridge, there's a guided tour bus that takes you around the city and includes a boat trip too - apparently you are guaranteed to see seals! It should keep you happy and the family happy too.

I did lots of exploring on foot (especially the Royal Mile - great vibe), saw a band in St Andrew Square, climbed to the top of Arthur's Seat - LOVED it, so thank you punkyfish50! - as well as the much gentler Carlton Hill, visited the amazing Palace of Holyroodhouse the working palace, and tried haggis (yum!); visited the Royal Britannia and generally had a fantastic time! I didn't see Edinburgh Castle,apart from the outside, because of the crowds. I did other things too but those are the highlights. Oh, went to the Museum too!

Thanks for all the tips which were helpful in guiding my choices!
  • Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I'm back! I took some advice and signed up for the open top bus tours which were brilliant. Great way to see the city and pick up some history at the same time.

DMN1968, given you only have one day in Edinburgh and want to do the Forth Bridge, there's a guided tour bus that takes you around the city and includes a boat trip too - apparently you are guaranteed to see seals! It should keep you happy and the family happy too.

I did lots of exploring on foot (especially the Royal Mile - great vibe), saw a band in St Andrew Square, climbed to the top of Arthur's Seat - LOVED it, so thank you punkyfish50! - as well as the much gentler Carlton Hill, visited the amazing Palace of Holyroodhouse the working palace, and tried haggis (yum!); visited the Royal Britannia and generally had a fantastic time! I didn't see Edinburgh Castle,apart from the outside, because of the crowds. I did other things too but those are the highlights. Oh, went to the Museum too!

Glad you liked it. It's a great city with always something to see or do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Many thanks again. I have found the boat trip company and have bookmarked it!