Do you consider the term 'throwing a paddy' to be a racist slur?

123457»

Comments

• SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to say - throwing a Benny - no offence to Mentally challenged people in wooly hats though - I hear the woosh over - under 35's heads :D
  • Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »
    We used to say - throwing a Benny - no offence to Mentally challenged people in wooly hats though - I hear the woosh over - under 35's heads :D

Not me! ;) Been eyeing up the DVD boxset for Christmas! :D
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drut wrote: »
    I am going to start a campaign to prohibit the friendly extension of the christian name, John.

Johns are not Johnny's OK!!!????

JOHNNY'S ARE BLOODY CONDOMS!!!!:mad:

That can also include the term "The John" aka what the Americans call the Toliet. Why they can't use the word Bog is beyond me.

The things that people find offensive really does make me laugh. Christ on a bike, you got people battling it out in war both legal & illegal types And other types of bollox. Yet the PC Brigade seem to find something to get annoyed at. :rolleyes::D:p
  • darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    drut wrote: »
    I am going to start a campaign to prohibit the friendly extension of the christian name, John.

Johns are not Johnny's OK!!!????

JOHNNY'S ARE BLOODY CONDOMS!!!!:mad:

That can also include the term "The John" aka what the Americans call the Toliet. Why they can't use the word Bog is beyond me.

The things that people find offensive really does make me laugh. Christ on a bike, you got people battling it out in war both legal & illegal types And other types of bollox.

Hell with it, you still got Joesphine, Lloyd & the spawns of Satan on the X factor. Yet the PC Brigade seem to find something to get annoyed at. :rolleyes::D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To get things into perspection----think about Americans--nearly always called YANKS!!!
    They don't complain & I think I'd prefer to be a Paddy than a yank!! ;);)
    So if your Irish be proud of being a Paddy-there is no insult intended--I'm sure!
    Remember people from Scotland are called Jocks!!!
    Does anyone know what the nickname is for the welsh ?
    P.S. when people lose their temper & start to shout etc: that is usually 'having a Paddy'.
    I think Paddy has many meanings - besides being Irish!!!
  • astonv8astonv8 Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some people get offended by the nickname whitey???

Get over yourself, it's just a nickname!!!!
  • SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panorama wrote: »

Taffy
  • shortyknickersshortyknickers Posts: 2,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont think "throwing a paddy" is offensive to the Irish but "throwing a wobbly" is extremely offensive to weebles.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seem to remember that the OP took offence at an awful lot of things when she was a member...
  • Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panorama wrote: »
    To get things into perspection----think about Americans--nearly always called YANKS!!!
    They don't complain & I think I'd prefer to be a Paddy than a yank!! ;);)
    So if your Irish be proud of being a Paddy-there is no insult intended--I'm sure!
    Remember people from Scotland are called Jocks!!!
    P.S. when people lose their temper & start to shout etc: that is usually 'having a Paddy'.
    I think Paddy has many meanings - besides being Irish!!!

...and the English (or more probably British) used to be Tommy
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    No. I don't.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    my little lad has paddies all the time and the only offensive thing about them is the noise

he will occasionally have "a proper eppy" too, but i never stop to consider whether that is offensive to people with epilepsy either
  • justpootlingjustpootling Posts: 3,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyEgg wrote: »
    I seem to remember that the OP took offence at an awful lot of things when she was a member...

Looks like they've been retired to Tunbridge Wells where they can continue to be disgusted at everything, while out of sight of the rest of us!

And as everyone knows, throwing a Paddy is only nasty to the poor Irishman if it's done from a great height on to a hard surface, with no thought for his future wellbeing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    We have a large sign in the entrance to our office, I quote

" Please accept our apologies, we are all heterosexual, able bodied, white and employed"

We can't help what we are, but we can apologise for our faults!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throwing A Strop can be offensive to people from stropland.
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Well some people will look for offence anywhere , "taking the Mickey" has no Irish connections at all , it is and always was cockney rhyming slang and first came about in around the 1930's .

The expression "taking the piss" came first and later cockney slang made up for it was "taking the Mickey Bliss " , which itself got shortened to "taking the mickey"

Thanks for that info. I wish I'd known it at the time, I would have given the other person a lecture and shut them up!
  • Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    trevalyan wrote: »
    he will occasionally have "a proper eppy" too, but i never stop to consider whether that is offensive to people with epilepsy either

I mentioned this to my epileptic sister and she laughed her head off! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normality wrote: »
    We have a large sign in the entrance to our office, I quote

" Please accept our apologies, we are all heterosexual, able bodied, white and employed"

We can't help what we are, but we can apologise for our faults!

Do you have "You don't have to be mad to work here but it helps" signs too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Do you have "You don't have to be mad to work here but it helps" signs too.

NO WAY, it might offend a nutter. (sorry, I mean a person of unsound mind)