Actually,PROMETHEUS on 2nd viewing...

2»

Comments

• AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it too. I don't go into a film with an encyclopaedia of information in my head ready to pounce if something is amiss. That's obsessive. I enjoy a film if it entertains me and this did.
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very flawed but I enjoyed it more on the second viewing, away from the hype and inevitable disappointment that brings. I watched it a third time recently and I must say I really rate it now. Flaws aside it's just a gorgeous movie, and hopefully the sequel can correct a lot of the mistakes made in the first.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    promethus and Interstellar both utter pieces of tripe.

give me 2001 and Aliens any day of the week.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    always watch ridley for his visuals. Never the story. Noomi looks lovely in her pajamas .......
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    Flawed film but I love it warts and all. I loved the cinema experience and I still love it on repeated Blu-ray viewings. A lot of the criticisms are valid like the questionable actions of the supporting characters but IMO the positives far outweigh the negatives. In terms of world building, it was Ridley Scott back to form. The digital cinematography was flawless, the score great and I loved the set pieces (opening scene and credits, Shaw giving 'birth', David activating the star map). Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender (the later Oscar worthy) give great lead performances which offset whatever problems there were with some of the supporting characters.

That's more like it and that film's way better than either Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. At least Prometheus has a reasonable plot line that follows on from Alien and Aliens. Indeed, if someone were new to this film franchise, I'd suggest watching only Alien, Aliens and Prometheus in that order. There reports of a Prometheus sequel and I'd certainly be interested in seeing it if and when it comes out.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mitu_Pappi wrote: »
    Kermode wrote in his blog that he actually liked Prometheus. If he has changed his mind on friday then atleast he has realised his errors.

But then Kermode liked the Hunger Games and to me that was probably the worst film made in the history of film making. Kermode went down in my estimation that day.

Why have Hunger Games when you can have Battle Royale? Its like choosing cotton over silk...!

Kermode repels me away from cinema.

However, I do like Prometheus (:blush:), in-spite of its flaws. In-spite of Rafe Spalls ridiculous character... In-spite of that annoying Holloway character... Similar to the original Alien, it creates a convincing environment. And I do love a convincing environment!
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's more like it and that film's way better than either Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection. At least Prometheus has a reasonable plot line that follows on from Alien and Aliens. Indeed, if someone were new to this film franchise, I'd suggest watching only Alien, Aliens and Prometheus in that order. There reports of a Prometheus sequel and I'd certainly be interested in seeing it if and when it comes out.

I'd agree too. I've spent many a late night watching it on blu ray with a bottle of red & a selection of cheeses/pizza. I used to do the same with the original Alien. Aliens is ok, but i'm not one for US macho posturing, so that doesn't get the wine/cheese/pizza treatment. Besides , the hive queen looks like a giant turkey and doesn't walk convincingly. All so Reagan era.