iPhone 4 - what's the best deal?

FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,649
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Coming to the end of an 18 month O2 contract with the iPhone 3G (thank god). I toyed with the idea of going Android for a couple of days but now thinking of sticking with the iPhone.

It's a minefield out there and the more I look around the more confusing it gets. What's the best deal to go with?

No.1 priority for me is maximum internet data allowance and 3G coverage (I wouldn't want to go with less than 1GB per month). I see that Vodafone have reduced their "unlimited" data usage limits. Is it a given that the likes of T-mobile, 3 and Giffgaff will follow suit sooner or later? Where do I stand if I have entered a contract and they suddenly decide to slash their fair use policy?

I would prefer another 18 month contract to a 2 year one, especially since Apple have made my current 3G model virtually obsolete with their updates within 18 months of purchase. I don't trust them not to do the same within the next 2 years. I don't mind paying a lump sum upfront and wouldn't rule out buying the handset outright and getting a separate sim-only deal if this is seen as the most sensible way to go.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Is it likely to get any cheaper if I hold off for a few more weeks? TIA

Comments

• wod1wod1 Posts: 6,152
    Forum Member
    the deal 3 is offering looks quite good, ive been considering it but it is a 24mth contract and as you have said i wonder if going sim free and a sim only contract as 3 offer a good one for 25 for 12months.

_http://www.three.co.uk/Phones/iPhone/Plans
  • Happy SnapperHappy Snapper Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    i bought mine from apple sim free and went onto o2 simplicity £20.
  • AppleseedAppleseed Posts: 3,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM_Bandit wrote: »
    Coming to the end of an 18 month O2 contract with the iPhone 3G (thank god). I toyed with the idea of going Android for a couple of days but now thinking of sticking with the iPhone.

It's a minefield out there and the more I look around the more confusing it gets. What's the best deal to go with?

No.1 priority for me is maximum internet data allowance and 3G coverage (I wouldn't want to go with less than 1GB per month). I see that Vodafone have reduced their "unlimited" data usage limits. Is it a given that the likes of T-mobile, 3 and Giffgaff will follow suit sooner or later? Where do I stand if I have entered a contract and they suddenly decide to slash their fair use policy?

I would prefer another 18 month contract to a 2 year one, especially since Apple have made my current 3G model virtually obsolete with their updates within 18 months of purchase. I don't trust them not to do the same within the next 2 years. I don't mind paying a lump sum upfront and wouldn't rule out buying the handset outright and getting a separate
    sim-only deal if this is seen as the most sensible way to go.

Anyone have any advice or recommendations? Is it likely to get any cheaper if I hold off for a few more weeks? TIA
    If you don't mind coughing up in full for the phone, I think your best bet might be to buy it from Apple (which means it's an unlocked handset) and then just use a giffgaff SIM in it. I know it's a top up job, but the unlimited deal for calls, texts and web for £30 per month is hard to beat considering you can come and go as you please.
    The other advantage is that if another network brings in a deal that appeals, you can simply swap the SIM, port your number and away you go.
    I for one will not tie myself into contracts again, once my current one expires.
  • rottweilerrottweiler Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco mobile £20 a month
  • foxlafoxla Posts: 1,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    or bite the bullet and go for Android, rapidly catching up with the Iphone, and in some respects left it behind!

I have an HTC Desire, there is not much the Iphone does that the Desire can't, and in fact a workmate who has an iphone has jail broken it, and is running android look alike apps!
  • FM_BanditFM_Bandit Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rottweiler wrote: »
    Tesco mobile £20 a month

Wow, hadn't spotted that one. That tariff would be ideal for me. Out of stock though - and uses the lousy O2 network.

Yesterday I didn't get any 3G reception on O2 for almost the entire southern stretch of the M25 from J10 right round to J4, apart from for a few seconds as I drove past Clacket Lane services. Not good. Coverage to the west and on the M4 was excellent however.